Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

SuperRash

A really good article in the Times Sport on Phil Jones. He speaks very honestly about his current situation. Also reading his injury issues, I don’t think his problems have been communicated very well. I don’t about everyone else but I just assumed he went from one injury problem to another. Sounds like he has had a really serious knee injury that’s troubled him for years though.

He also talks about the abuse he gets online. We on forums obviously like to critique but I imagine some of the messages he gets on social media are vile and very insulting.

I don’t suspect he’ll get much game time this season and may ultimately leave but it’s interesting to get a better take on the situation. I would say if we didn’t give him the contract extension then his career would be absolutely done.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think actually the club should have done more to communicate this? The Phil Jones story over the years has become a bit of a joke but actually if they'd have released this info things may have been a little different in terms of the fan treatment of Jones?

Even on one good knee.

Jokes aside, it can't be easy to be Phil Jones. To go from Fergie saying he could be our best ever player to being remembered for injuries, gurning faces and Pulp Fiction memes with Mike Smalling would put the best of us into a dark place.

The online abuse is something I don't get. It's not his fault he's injured. He didn't give himself new contracts. His presence isn't holding the club back in the slightest, as much as we think it's wasted money, not having Jones on the books hasn't stopped us from signing a DM. He's had a promising career basically ripped from him by dodgy knees and procedures that didn't work. That sucks.

He was a really great player. I remember when we signed him, feeling like we had done a number on Blackburn. I had the same meniscus surgery he talks about and you can play on it for a little while but arthritis will catch up sooner rather than later. It gets really painful. I can still play but only for about half a game, and only then if I don't need to walk anywhere quickly the next week.

Maybe he can get some game time and finish his career with us, just call time himself.

Fair play to him for speaking up for years been on the end of unfair grief it’s not his fault he’s injured.

Been robbed of a career by injuries easy to forget how much potential was there when he came.

Thought Rio’s criticism of him was bang out of order and Ole rightfully shut him down on it.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-1 Wolves - 3rd January 2022

The only one who can come out of the game with credit. Could have done better for the goal conceded but all things considering he did very well.

Fantastic today in my opinion to play like that after 2 years out shows the character of the man hopefully a club comes and takes a chance on him now.

felt he did enough on the goal just one of them where Mourinho is right place right time and punishes it.

He’s got acres of space on the edge of our box because the midfield has dropped in through panic

Yep there could be some criticism on the goal but that’s the only thing he slightly did wrong. However, like jsp said, to come in and play like that after so long out is testament to the character he has.

Could well get some more opportunities due to injuries and the AFCON. Realistically he probably won’t be a starter but some good performances can get him a good move.

Just something that resonated with me today was that Jones really does have that old school mentality from the Fergie era that sadly many of our players lack. After that performance against Wolves, I would say to the rest of the players this is the attitude we all need to show. IMO he should keep his place from now on - I know it’s only one game but I am just annoyed with the lot of them at the moment!

have you seen the vid of him a bit tearful as he goes down the tunnel with the Stretford End singing his name

I didn’t see that but I can imagine it was quite overwhelming the reception he got. We were never given the full picture of his injury problems but the guy sounds like he’s been to hell and back! It was really great to see him back and the wonderful reception he got.

He played that game like the player we saw in his early years at Blackburn where he looked like a defender with almost limitless potential before all the injuries hit.

His passing was sharp and crisp, he put his body on the line to get blocks in, he read the danger in situations it was a top class centre back performance.

Wonder how he was feeling Tuesday morning? Bet he was in pieces.

I'd have no worries about him playing the next game vs Villa it's a cup game and Maguire apparently has a bit of a knock so why not gives Jones with another start and personally I'd make him skipper.

He played that game like the player we saw in his early years at Blackburn where he looked like a defender with almost limitless potential before all the injuries hit.

His passing was sharp and crisp, he put his body on the line to get blocks in, he read the danger in situations it was a top class centre back performance.

Wonder how he was feeling Tuesday morning? Bet he was in pieces.

I'd have no worries about him playing the next game vs Villa it's a cup game and Maguire apparently has a bit of a knock so why not gives Jones with another start and personally I'd make him skipper.
If he can stay fit and keeps up the form from that game if he gets more game time could you see him being a regular when the squad is all fit again?

If he can stay fit and keeps up the form from that game if he gets more game time could you see him being a regular when the squad is all fit again?

I'd like to think the club will now be thinking more seriously about players who constantly break down with injury you can't really rely on them either as a starter or a squad player. Jones has had a rough ride it shows the character of him though that pretty much every manager sang his praises his attitude seems to be spot on his body just can't handle the workload.

I think the best thing for him now is to do what Evans did drop down to a mid table prem side and just rebuild your career and reputation worry about a 38 league game season plus cups rather than a European season where the games come at you. Evans made a big difference first at West Brom then Leicester I could maybe see Jones doing the same at a decent mid table side if his injuries are behind him. It's going to be a case of which club is willing to take a risk on him and he'll likely have to accept a pay as you play type deal.

It's a tough decision regarding this season because Bailly isn't back from AFCoN until February, Varane and Lindelof both seem to get lots of niggles, Mengi/Tuanzebe are both out on loan so maybe they have to keep Jones around just for extra cover. As bad as his form has been Maguire is the only CB we can rely on to be fit for nearly every game the other 4 seem to miss a lot of games with small injuries.

Overall it comes down to the player if Jones says he wants a fresh start let him go if he's happy being a bit part player at Utd you can maybe make a case for keeping him and trying to move Bailly out in the summer. It seems pretty clear that Bailly isn't happy with his current playing time so he's the first one I'd look to move on.

Chuffed to little mint balls for him.

Apart from a mistake for their goal a near faultless display, and his first touch put most of his teammates to shame.

The only Phil Jones thread I could find.

Rumour going around that Phil is coming back to the club to be a coach for the 18s, can't see it mind, but you never know

be better off as part of the medical team, must be an expert by now

Think if he's doing his badges and stuff it makes sense.

He's had rotten luck with injury so no harm helping him out with a head start in his coaching career if that's what he wants to do.

Club have denied the story he hasn’t been given a role but he has been at Carrington observing some of the academy training sessions.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back