Phil Jones | Match discussion thread 2021/22

SuperRash

A really good article in the Times Sport on Phil Jones. He speaks very honestly about his current situation. Also reading his injury issues, I don’t think his problems have been communicated very well. I don’t about everyone else but I just assumed he went from one injury problem to another. Sounds like he has had a really serious knee injury that’s troubled him for years though.

He also talks about the abuse he gets online. We on forums obviously like to critique but I imagine some of the messages he gets on social media are vile and very insulting.

I don’t suspect he’ll get much game time this season and may ultimately leave but it’s interesting to get a better take on the situation. I would say if we didn’t give him the contract extension then his career would be absolutely done.

RichH2016

I think actually the club should have done more to communicate this? The Phil Jones story over the years has become a bit of a joke but actually if they'd have released this info things may have been a little different in terms of the fan treatment of Jones?

Cruella ne Ville

Even on one good knee.

Jokes aside, it can't be easy to be Phil Jones. To go from Fergie saying he could be our best ever player to being remembered for injuries, gurning faces and Pulp Fiction memes with Mike Smalling would put the best of us into a dark place.

The online abuse is something I don't get. It's not his fault he's injured. He didn't give himself new contracts. His presence isn't holding the club back in the slightest, as much as we think it's wasted money, not having Jones on the books hasn't stopped us from signing a DM. He's had a promising career basically ripped from him by dodgy knees and procedures that didn't work. That sucks.

Cosmic Slop

He was a really great player. I remember when we signed him, feeling like we had done a number on Blackburn. I had the same meniscus surgery he talks about and you can play on it for a little while but arthritis will catch up sooner rather than later. It gets really painful. I can still play but only for about half a game, and only then if I don't need to walk anywhere quickly the next week.

Maybe he can get some game time and finish his career with us, just call time himself.

jsp

Fair play to him for speaking up for years been on the end of unfair grief it’s not his fault he’s injured.

Been robbed of a career by injuries easy to forget how much potential was there when he came.

Thought Rio’s criticism of him was bang out of order and Ole rightfully shut him down on it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now