Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League: Manchester United 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 27th August 2018

At fault for the first and then got injured?

What is the point anymore with this guy he should have been binned off years ago.

Lucky to not give away a penalty, then costs us a goal, then gets injured. Phil Jones summed up in 60 minutes right there honestly there is no point to this guy anymore sick of us wasting out time on him should have been sold or replaced in the summer.

That performance should be the LAST we ever see of Jones. He is just absolute garbage. Clueless positionally and rash in the tackle. He was lucky he didn't give away a penalty which was 100% a penalty. The ref must have been blind to miss that. I never want to see him in a Utd shirt again.

Think Moura played for it to be honest there was no reason for him to step back across Jones who had to go for the ball but he was very lucky if we had VAR that would 100% have ended with a pen.

This guy will never reach his potential because of the injuries if you can't play 90 minutes twice a week for 9 months of the year sadly you can't play at the very top level. He's not developed his game still looks the same player he was when he arrived but he's now made of glass not totally his fault injuries are what they are but he should have been cut loose a long time ago.

The fact Jones has ended up playing so many games for this club and is still here is a joke. I mean it's disgraceful that he's outlasted some of the players he has.

The club invested big money in him and he's English which is why they've given him time as we do need English players because of the home grown rules but we've chased the bad investment long enough on this one and it's clearly never going to get better. He's 26 his contract expires in the summer why didn't they force him to move this summer we surely can't gamble and give him another contract at this point.

Don't think this is Jones fault injuries have ruined him and that is what has held back his progress as he can't learn if he can't play.

145 appearences over 7 seasons is around 21 games per season now he wasn't first choice for first few years this lad just hasn't played enough football.

Seriously no??? He's only 26 still?? And he's only played 145 times? He's like part of the furniture lol. There is only 1 thing to do with chintzy old furniture lol

Where is Jones today? He's not even in the squad. Please please don't tell me he's injured AGAIN?

Where is Jones today? He's not even in the squad. Please please don't tell me he's injured AGAIN?

Only just noticed that.

It’s got to be injury given the injuries we’ve got.

Could be precaution given he’s done 2 90 mins back to back after hardly playing but you’d at least expect to see him on the bench if that was the case.

Gotta be injured cos he's my on the bench. He's a waste of space.

That’s his 4th own goal. Anyone know the club record?

Just had a look. He’s moved up to third in the all time list.

The fact Jones has had opportunities under 4 different managers and has been bad for years is ridiculous. The fact he still gets opportunities over Bailly and youngsters is ridiculous. This clown should have been gone years ago and the only reason he's still here is because he's English.

He needs to go, he'll be injured again very soon no doubt.

He is out of contract at the end of the season, so fingers crossed he'll be gone. However, Utd worry me with the way they operate these days.

He's a home grown player so there's always a chance he'll get renewed but he needs putting out of his misery and just let go.

Utd have to sign a proper top class centre back in the summer ideally we'd raise some cash by selling some of our existing ones but that probably won't happen if he gets a new deal no one will buy him so just let him go.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Huddersfield Town - 26th December 2018

One of United's better players today.

Strong performance but injuries are why he still needs to be allowed to leave just can’t rely on him staying fit.

Performances like this might get him some decent offers in the summer but feels like West Ham awaits for this guy.

Anyone read Garth Crooks team of the week on BBC. It’s usually a load of drivel but this week topped it, this was wrote about Jones...

Phil Jones: This is a player who has found himself struggling to get into the Manchester United team prior to the departure of Mourinho. However, if Phil Jones keeps making recovery tackles like the one he made on Salomon Rondon in the early stages of the game against Newcastle then, barring injury, the England international may find himself a permanent fixture in the Solskjaer era. The tackle required a focus I've not seen in Jones for some time.

A focus? It was his lack of focus that lost the ball in the first place? And also Valencia was in the team also and being praised ten fold!

Comical isn’t it @SuperRash he also put Valencia in his team must watch a different game to all of us.

That tackle was just like the FA Cup final full panic mode because he’s messed up a better striker gets his body in the way like Hazard did and takes the penalty.

That moment to me summed up why Jones needs to go there’s no need to persist with the Phil Jones experiment.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Watford - 30th March 2019

Top performance.

100% tackles won
88% pass accuracy
9 ball recoveries
9 clearances
3 interceptions
0 fouls committed

So the Phil Jones cycle begins again.
3 or 4 decent games
1 stinker
6 weeks out injured.