FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons
Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
Phil Jones | Match Discussion thread 2013/14

Phil Jones | Match Performance Thread

Apparently he's set to start the season with Smalling then... Ridiculous if you ask me but hey ho.

You never know. He might be brilliant if he gets a sustained run out. The only problem is that he gets injured and that gives him no continuity

See I personally don't see that in his ability because he's just not progressed. When we signed him he had such promise but he's not kicked on from there. In his defense I do partly blame Fergie because he messed him about so much by playing him in so many positions. And injury hasn't helped him either but I just don't think he's good enough now. He's certainly not good enough to be the starter.

Needs to stay fit. Disagree that he hasn't shown anything, just hasn't been able to recently as gametime been limited. Smalling was like this at the same point in development, wasn't playing regularly and was a liability, and was at top end of my list that I wanted to be sold, he's come good but still needs to improve. A gamble from Mourinho if he is to go with Jones and Smalling as first choice. Jones in particular but I think Mourinho is capable of getting that potential out of him and could be another Terry for Mourinho. Huge season for him though.

Needs to stay fit. Disagree that he hasn't shown anything, just hasn't been able to recently as gametime been limited. Smalling was like this at the same point in development, wasn't playing regularly and was a liability, and was at top end of my list that I wanted to be sold, he's come good but still needs to improve. A gamble from Mourinho if he is to go with Jones and Smalling as first choice. Jones in particular but I think Mourinho is capable of getting that potential out of him and could be another Terry for Mourinho. Huge season for him though.

And that's fair enough as that's your view but I don't think Jones is good enough. He is far too injury prone but aside from that I don't believe he is actually good enough as a player. Positionally he's all over the place, he doesn't read the ball very well and as for his distribution... Well that's just a joke. His passing is embarrassing! He always over hits every pass, misplaces a lot of them and just isn't good enough for a team who will dominate possession.

Like I said I really rated him when he came in to the club. He was quick, strong and he was a player I thought would have a great career. But he's regressed in his time with the club and I think should be moved on. Quite why 4 different managers now think they could save his career is beyond me.

I would never wish injury on a player... So I hope he does stay injury free. I just think he would be better off finding a new team. He isn't the player we signed and sadly I don't think he will ever fulfill his potential.

Now Jones at RB I could see. Although his distribution isn't good, he's kind of in a odd way quite good on the ball. Well not good but he's quite awkward and unpredictable so from RB he can rampage forwards. I could see him playing there for sure... I guess Darmian will get a good look? And TFM obviously will get a chance in pre season. But I hope at some point Jose realises that TFM needs time in the centre either at CB or CM.

You could argue that his best football for us was at RB in his first season. He was very good there. Just needs to stay injury free.

Mourinho is always great with full backs by the way. It's not a fashionable position but for me it's key to a great team, having solid, reliable and consistent full backs. Don't ever have to be a 9 or 10/10, just a solid 7 every week will do.

You could argue that his best football for us was at RB in his first season. He was very good there. Just needs to stay injury free.

Mourinho is always great with full backs by the way. It's not a fashionable position but for me it's key to a great team, having solid, reliable and consistent full backs. Don't ever have to be a 9 or 10/10, just a solid 7 every week will do.

Yes I'd agree his best football was played at RB. I think that's because he can attack, he can get forwards and it's not as critical if he's found out of position. He's got the pace to recover so that helps him too.

The full back position isn't the be all and end all but it is important I agree. Jose will want a well balanced RB and you could even say from the past 4/5 years the best has been Jones?

If he chips in with goals and assists like Ivanovic did then he will be very useful indeed.

Yeah very true though I think that's more likely to come from the other full back... It will be interesting to see though who starts the season as the RB. I'm not sure Jose is convinced by Darmian purely because he didn't do enough last season overall.

Credit where it's due, he's been very good since coming in, maybe Mourinho can turn him into a Manchester United player.

League Cup: Manchester United 4-1 West Ham United - 30th November 2016

He was very good.

Premier League: Everton 1-1 Manchester United - 4th December 2016

Probably our best player.

Very very good again. I think he is becoming our number 1 back there. It's sad because if it wasn't for his injuries he would probably already be nailed on in the back four. Him and Bailly as a partnership could be very good indeed.

Top performance again. Easy to forget that he's still young for a CB.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur - 11th December 2016

Gotta love Jones. He was immense.

Really glad to see him play regularly and well. Hope we see him fulfill his potential

From Squawka:

100% aerial duels won
6 clearances
5 interceptions
4 blocks
2 tackles won
1 clean sheet

He was excellent again. He's the John Terry type of no nonsense defender that Jose likes. Defending comes first, ball playing second.

Really good since coming back. Him and Rojo have been surprisingly solid. Kane quiet.

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Manchester United - 17th December 2016

From Squawka: "Before fouling Salomon Rondon in the 9th minute, Phil Jones had gone 618 minutes without committing a foul in the Premier League."

That's quite something given what he's been like so far in his career. Coming of age under Mourinho.

Very good interview with him in the Times today. Talks about taking advice from Rio, started doing yoga and pilates to help prevent injuries. Also, how he's changed his tackling style, good stat in there that says he didn't make a foul over 6 games before xmas and hasn't received a yellow card this season. Lots of other stuff that shows how he's matured this season. Called his blonde hair at the start of the season a "wild moment".

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Bournemouth - 4th March 2017

Poor decision to go to ground to concede the penalty.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Europa League: FC Rostov 1-1 Manchester United - 9th March 2017

Poor for Bukharov's goal.

Been poor since returning from injury. Only Rojo for me has done well enough at CB in recent weeks.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Manchester United - 14th May 2017

Has he lost a yard of pace?

Smalling hasn't found it. On this performance i am dreading who we will play there in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back