Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Madrid - 2/8/2014

Perhaps MOTM. Looks at home in a 3 as do the other 2 senior CB's. All 3 like to step out of defence and with 3 CB's it allows them more freedom to do so. Blackett and Keane also like to do so.

Yeah my MOTM. Thought he was excellent, particularly in the 2nd half with the two younger lads beside him. His reading of the game was excellent and made a lot of good interceptions. This formation seems to suit most of our best players really.

Valencia - 12/8/2014

Probably our best player.

He's had a good pre-season.

I think all of the senior CB's have done really well on tour. Sounds like they're the most affected by the change in formation, they're still learning, hopefully they'll improve further.

Sunderland - 24/8/2014

Looked more comfortable in the centre of the 3 in 2nd half yesterday than Smalling has done. I just don't feel like Smalling has enough about him, needs to add more to his game, he's a very good defender but at the top level you need to have more about you.

Burnley - 30/8/2014

Another good performance. One of the few positives of this season thus far.

That was a good performance today. His performances have generally been good for us.

Cementing his place quietly. Probably won't but should really be starting ahead of Jagielka for England, who has been poor so far this season.

West Brom - 20/10/2014

Poor, partly to blame for West Brom's second goal, but it was his first game in two months and his first game alongside Rojo.

Didn't look sharp at all, looked like he was running through thick mud at one point.

Chelsea - 26/10/14

He has shin splints. I think I had it when I was younger, weird feeling. I think poor footwear was the cause of my problem, another is over exercising when you're not used to it. I'd imagine he came back from injury and tried too hard to impress in training, worst thing you can do is try to "run it off" too.

i really feel that jones is on borrowed time. three years at the club and too many injuries mean he is in the stands when he should be a first team regular and now helping the likes of shaw and rojo settle in. he is no good to anyone at the moment, he is far too rash with his tackling in games and in training. I dont think van gaal will tolerate anyone who is injury prone, what use is he to the coach if he plays for two games and out for 4 all the time? its a shame as i do like him as a centre half, but it is getting ridiculous now the amount of time he is on the treatment table.

I think Evans and Smalling are worse injury-wise. No? I think he was overplayed in his first season, might be a factor in him picking up injuries now. Regardless, all 3 are injured too often, averaging around 7-10 games per injury I think I read, which is shocking. Need one, if not all, to be able to play 40+ games a season. If you look at the top CB's and partnerships in the league over the past few years, Rio and Vida at their best (individually and as a partnership) both playing around 40-50 games a season and starting most. Terry and Cahill now too playing (and starting most of) 40-50 games a season. Out of the 3 we have that i've mentioned, Jones has most appearances in a season with 41 (average of 34 games a season), Smalling's best is 38 (average of 30), Evans' best is 40 (average of 29); those 3 probably didn't start a lot of those games either.

Liverpool - 14/12/2014

Thought he was very good today considering he'd been out for what seems like months and it was totally unexpected to see him start today. It'd be good to keep him fit.

If he can be kept fit, I still think he can be the main man at the back, big IF though given history. Him and Rojo with Smalling probably 3rd choice, Evans has fallen right off for me. Jones leading the way statistically too.

Tottenham Hotspur - 28/12/2014

Pretty good performance to add to the showing against Newcastle. He was excellent defensively. His distribution was occasionally poor, although I feel team instructions was partly to blame.

Really like it when he goes on a run forward with the ball, when it comes to playing a pass he doesn't know what to do though, maybe he should just keep running!

Defensively been a lot better, I think he's been very good when fit this season. Giving away penalties aside! He and perhaps all current CB's could really do with someone more composed next to them though.

Southampton - 11/1/2015

Just seen on twitter that we've only won 2 of the 10 games he's started in this season.

Thought he had his worst game of the season today.

Cambridge United - 23/1/2015

His passing was extremely poor tonight. He defended quite well, I thought.

Can't decide who our worst player is Jones or Valencia. Committed in defending but my god how can our defenders not pass a ball to one of our players. Smalling is exactly the same.

Yeah his defensive work was quite good but his passing awful. I still would prefer Rafael at right back, certainly with four at the back.

Leicester City - 31/01/2015

Thought he was very good today. Distribution a lot better and looked confident coming out from the back.

Awful back pass to De Gea in 2nd half when De Gea had to come out wide and stop Ulloa knocking the ball around him. He worries me. At 22, there's plenty of time to cut these mistakes out, he's got Jonny Evans syndrome at the minute, mistake in every game.

Swansea City - 21/2/2015

His football intelligence hasn't improved since he got here.

I was really surprised to see him and McNair start. Thought we should have stuck with what was working.

Defence had an average age of 21 yesterday I believe. You can't win anything with kids unless you've got experience to guide them through. The more experienced players aren't doing nearly enough.

Tottenham Hotspur - 15/3/2015

Absolute rubbish start from him. After 5 mins I was booking train tickets to Manchester to go and kick him in the groin. Improved though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back