Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool - 25/9/2013

Not a fan of Jones in midfield but he was very good tonight. He was excellent in fulfilling his defensive duties and more than decent in keeping possession ticking over.

West Bromwich Albion - 28/09/2013

Just a thought... should have stuck with him in midfield today instead of playing Anderson. Could have played Valencia or Fabio at RB then. Shame it's not Football Manager and Moyes can't just press 'Quit without saving'.

The importance of the modern day full back was highlighted today. Both Jones and Buttner offered little going forward and as a result we struggled (especially in the second half) to breakdown WBA in wide areas. I think Evra should have replaced Buttner at half time.

Rafael has been a big miss so far this season. With Jones doing well in midfield on Wednesday, understandable Moyes wanted to keep him in the side, CB or CM would have been better call though.

Some naive selections from Moyes. Hardly changed side for first 5 games, now expecting players to be ready to start 2 in a row and be able to win us games. Evans, Anderson, Hernandez, Nani, Kagawa and Buttner all rarely/not used before Wednesday. Needs to wise up with his rotation.

It was a shocking selection today. Rafa is far and away our best fullback. Jones played well in CM on Wednesday but that doesnt mean you find him a position at all costs, particularly at the expense of one of your better performers. By all means reward him by retaining him in CM as thats where he had played well, or play him at CB which is his natural position and one we seem to be getting all wrong at the moment.

It's exactly the same way Fergie used him. Put him anywhere. I would prefer him at CB. Again another player I'm confused about with the purchase of. Very rarely used in CB position. Used as RB but no end product to his crossing when he gets into a good position. Midfield he's okay but not great. If we want to play him in midfield then keep him there and develop him.

Not heard anything to suggest he got injured again during or after the Liverpool game. Imagine like a few others he was rested ahead of the Donetsk game and given Jones played well although in CM, he decided to stick with him in the side instead of playing a more natural fullback like Fabio.

I am not sure there was any need to rest Rafa. He has hardly played this season and is always full of energy. As you know I am not a huge fan of squad rotation albeit I have sort of accepted it is necessary. But if you are going to use it do it properly ie Rio has played way too much and Rafa probably needed games.

Not so much rest but being managed after injury.

Personally think we played too many players yesterday that hadn't played much this season, as I said above; Evans, Anderson, Hernandez, Nani, Kagawa and Buttner all rarely/not used before Wednesday. Those players should have been integrated one by one earlier in the season, instead he chose to stick with same group of players and then because they weren't performing has decided to stick them all in for 2 games in a row and expected them to be ready to win both games. Not enough rotation early on and now too much.

Pretty much agree with that. I would only rest/manage players when we have good replacements. I would have no problems with resting Vidic and Rio and using Evan,Smalling and Jones in there. Good players who need to be making an impact in their correct positions. We dont really have a natural replacement for Rafa other than maybe Fabio.

Sunderland - 5/10/2013

Thought he had a good game next to a shaky Vidic. Hell of a tackle during the game to save a goal.

Need to play him all the time at CB. Both Vidic and Rio have looked poor at times this season.

Southampton 19/10/2013

Another solid game in the heart of defence. Let him play as a defender from now on, no more of playing him in midfield and right back.

I thought he did well today. Though they should have moved him into midfield earlier after taking fellaini off

I prefer him at CB and he's doing well there but i'm afraid he's needed in CM right now.

Fulham - 2/11/2013

Not a bad partnership between him and Cleverley. Could do with better but when Carrick is out, it's our next best option I feel.

Arsenal - 10/11/2013

What a player he was today for us. Excellent in both midfield and defence. Could really do with getting a midfielder like him but better in January.

Beast in midfield, beast in defence. The win meant a lot to him.

Easily MOTM for me, ran everything and was outstanding throughout

Pride of Leyland !

An absolute blinder of a game by jones. He did a wonderful job both in midfield and defense.

21 years of age, madness. Top class performance, again. Has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet at this stage.

Jones is amazing. I still think he should be played at centre back and no where else. He should be our first or second chioce centre back.

Until we get someone in, he has to keep playing in midfield now and again. He's not a midfielder in the long term but I'd argue that we look a lot better when he's played there. Just need a better version of the way he plays in midfield.

He works in midfield when he has a specific purpose, like when he marked Bale & Ronaldo last season

Newcastle - 7/12/2013

Very poor. Fellaini would be hammered for such a performance. I think he's been poor-to-okayish against Leverkusen, Spurs and Newcastle since Arsenal.

One of the better players but for a lot of time was lost in midfield. Looked like a defender playing in midfield funnily enough.

Very poor. Fellaini would be hammered for such a performance. I think he's been poor-to-okayish against Leverkusen, Spurs and Newcastle since Arsenal.

Agree with that. Just to add for a big lad he's soft as shite.

His selection in midfield is a big reason why we struggled to gain any sort of control in my opinion. He's positional awareness to make himself available for a pass is poor, which meant Evans and Vidic had to revert to long punts forward. He attempted 42 passes in total, which is terribly low. He didn't create the foundation for others to build on. Not really his fault though, as se7en says he's a defender playing in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back