Peter Schmeichel v Edwin van der Sar v David de Gea

Sideshow Bob

I think most of us are not old enough to have seen United prior to Schmeichel? Who has been the best goalkeeper for United - Schmeichel, Van der Sar or De Gea? Who has been your favourite goalkeeper out of the three aforementioned names?

Van Der Sar for me was no frills but cool calm and collected.

Fantastic saves
Organised the back 4 which set new league records for not conceding
Dominated his box on corners
Distribution on both feet was world class

De Gea though is the best shot stopper we’ve had some of the saves he makes boggle the mind but where I think Van Der Sar edges him is the way he totally dominated the box.

Glad we've had the pleasure to watch the three of them play for United.

I did watch Gary Bailey. Can't say it was a pleasure.

Schmeicel was so important when we got back on the trophy train; a crucial role. VDS kept that train rolling. But for sheer heroics and for rescuing his team time and again, De Gea is by far the best.

For me it’s De Gea. They say a good keeper is worth 10 points a season. I’d hate to think where we’d have been without De Gea these past 3 seasons.

They are all fantastic and capable of unbelievable saves but I do say that De Gea has been amazing the last few years, he has carried us at times. Best in the world bar none!

I remember plenty of keepers before those 3, and they wont make the list :)

Although Van de Sar is probably my favourite, I think he'd be third on the list for me.

It's a tough one, I still go with the great Dane, De Gea is a great goalie/stopper, but Schmeichel put fear into the opposition, as well as his defence. Some the saves that guy made were unbelievable and he won us many trophies with his keeping. He also had amazing reflexes, great shot stopper and one on one there was no-one better. He did an off season though which De Gea has yet to have, and he has many years left.

He was a special keeper in a special side, unfortunately for De Gea, he's not had the side around him to achieve the same haul.

All three were/are brilliant, nothing in it really.

It's always a difficult one comparing players from different era's but De Gea is a level above anyone I have seen before. I loved van der Sar but he had an incredible defense in front of him. The same could probably be said for Schmeichel. De Gea has been a one man band for most of his United career.

In terms of the modern day comparisons, Neuer seems to get all the acclaim as the 'world's best' in teams of the year at these FIFA/UEFA conferences but De Gea is on another level for me. What works against him in terms of acclaim is that he plays for us! If he was Madrid's keeper I'm sure he would be widely proclaimed as the best out there.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back