Pep Guardiola at Manchester City 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee whizz. Watched the second half, City were awful by their standards but Leicester produced a wonderful performance.

The city defending was schoolboy. They better hope Dias who is arriving shortly is decent otherwise they are in for a tough old season.

Football has all gone a bit mad hasn’t it.

That City defence has some serious issues sounds like Diaz from Benfica is on the way to help but the full backs are looking finished.

When 3 of your back 4 give away penalties you need to be worried.

I think there’s serious issues at City I’m not sure Fernandinho is still at the level he was and that’s a big problem. He's changed the formation because he doesn’t trust that defence.

They’ve lost Sane so they’re a bit less threatening out wide and they don’t have David Silva to control the midfield either. Aguero is picking up more injuries

City look like a team in the middle of a rebuild.

Liverpool could walk this league again this year look miles ahead of everyone at the moment.

The race for Poch is on.
City, Utd, Chelsea and maybe PSG and Madrid...
In my view the two favourites are Chelsea and United.

United and Chelsea aren’t interested. Both could have taken him already if wanted.

City aren’t sacking Pep. Only interested if Pep walks.

Madrid probably want a manager that doesn’t cause problems with players at some point. PSG would be the obvious move.

Cant see City sacking Pep he’d have to walk and I don’t see him doing that either he’ll want to prove he can rebuild the side and go out on top.

Not saying Poch finds his job tomorrow, but l’m convinced Chelsea would be very keen if Lampard doesn’t survive, and l’m even more certain about Utd if Ole goes.
City won’t sack Pep, agreed, but you never know...
...there could be a mutual parting.
And remember, there is no compensation to be paid.
As things stand PSG would seem the obvious choice, but it’s French football and Mbappe won’t be there for long.
Regarding ZZ, things could easily turn quickly, and Perez loves Poch.
Things happen very quickly and sometimes unexpectedly in football, as we all know.
Don’t be too quick to dismiss the possibility.
Another thing, those clubs know he is out there, and if, for instance, United and Chelsea are struggling and the media is ramping up the pressure...
...neither club will want to see the other make that decisive first move.
There is a lot at stake. And he seems to be the big prize.
Had United not rebounded under Ole, Poch would be at Old Trafford now.
But l keep coming back to Chelsea (if Lampard can’t justify the money spent).
Watch this space...

I just don’t think Chelsea or United can get away with sacking their managers currently. Woodward would be hounded out if Ole goes and Chelsea would need to hide if sacking Lampard .

Both are going to be given time and neither are going before Christmas.

Don’t see either going before Xmas but if these clubs find themselves off the pace after a poor start who knows what they might do.

To me Lampard is way more vulnerable than Ole.

Agreed about Xmas...
... but would the two of you be upset if Poch came in if things were going badly?

By the way...
... l find you both very considered, thoughtful and insightful in your posts.

Agreed about Xmas...
... but would the two of you be upset if Poch came in if things were going badly?

I’m not a massive fan of Poch. Think he should have won the league with the Tottenham side he had and bottled it. I think if you a top manager in charge the season Leicester won it and they walk the league that season

Look at them coming out and mocking Leicester’s win. Rodri saying they were lucky and Pep saying they didn’t want to run. Sore losers to the extreme.

I don't think anyone should even be thinking about sacking Ole. They are 5 games behind most teams. I also don't think the transfer activity can be helping. Give him a break, he will mistakes too, he's a young manager. But I thought he managed the game on Saturday brilliantly. Must have put a rocket up them at half time. Made the right subs. There seems to a be a bit of a problem with Pogba for some reason. I wonder if talks in the background aren't going well.

As for Lampard, he is under pressure because of the money spent. But people should give these young managers time. I mentioned in an another thread, it's difficult to integrate that many players.

Ole wont be going anywhere.
If you ask me he is managing better than Lampard. I say that because if you ask me Lampard looks like he is feeling pressure.

Agreed about Xmas...

Tricky question I'd be annoyed that once again the club haven't backed their manager for whatever reason this summer but as a coach I think Poch's record is good. I think his appointment in the first place was a typical knee jerk reaction by the club they should have let the season play out in full then made the decision.

The issue Poch will face the same problems Ole has the players need to change the only thing I'd say is there's similarities in the way Ole plays to the way Poch plays so it wouldn't be a radical transformation like going from Fergie to Moyes to LVG to Mourinho.

Things would have to be really bad to force me to change the manager again we can't just keep changing it'll get us nowhere as Poch would then need 18 months to build his team. If the players have clearly quit on Ole then yeah you might have to change the coach but at the moment they still seem to be with him so I'd be reluctant to change him.

I think he's building the right squad but I think there might come a time where the squad is good enough but he can't quite take them to the top so he has to be the one who steps aside.

I know it was close but no cigar with Spurs but it was at least close Ole hasn't yet convinced me we can even go close.

They really struggled to get on the ball yesterday their passing game was almost non existent and Leeds should have won that game.

They look very toothless going forward at the moment miles off what they were like at their best.

City Vs Liverpool

1-1 at half time. Salah pen. Jesus lovely touch in the build up for the second.

De Bruyne has missed a pen.

But what I want to talk about is the Sterling penalty shout. It really doesn't help that if you don't go down you don't get a penalty. Sterling goes to floor instead of trying to continue and it's a City penalty instead of a Liverpool pen 45 seconds later.

I think they showed at half time he was in the box. Either way though if the ref gives the foul like he should have done then it isn't a Liverpool pen. And only reason he doesn't give the foul us Sterling didn't go down so easily.

Things have changed. They were both basically the same tackle. In the old days sterling would have been given and the other wouldn't with the caveat anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul.

Sterling was outside the box it’s why he tried to carry on but because of that VAR doesn’t review it. if he’d gone down 100% ref gives the free kick it is why players go down. I do think the ref should have called it back because of no advantage but there’s enough phases to the Mane incident that VAR can’t go back.

Ref had no choice at the other end.

Lovely goal by Jesus great turn sold the defender a treat.

Signed a new 2 year deal keeping him at City to 2023.

They look really average this season everything is just a bit slower than it was 18 months ago.

5-0 up at home against Burnley for the 4th season running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back