Status
Not open for further replies.
Understand from what Van Gaal has said that Mata is now the penalty taker until he misses. Van Gaal may give it back to Rooney now it's a new season though. Suspect he'll now stick with Mata until he misses or doesn't start. Schweinsteiger surely next in line as he's German! It's probably Phil Jones though...

He seems to have the bottle, however I'd prefer Rooney. Don't get this idea of a new taker each time someone misses. Only potential positive would be for a penalty shoot-out down the line but that's hardly the thinking.

For me... Your striker should always be up there wanting to take one. I know that's not always a given but that's my view so yeah Martial should be screaming to take it.

Was that his first penalty for us? I can't recall him taking any others but I could be wrong.

He's got the right temperament and he's got the technique to take penalties so for me he should be. And this whole rotation thing I just don't think works. It heaps even more pressure on the guy taking the kick.

Herrera, Martial and Pereira are 3 i've seen this season who seem to have the ability and mentality needed to take pens. Would need to see more from all 3 and others to be sure of that. But yeah, as Rich says forwards should be screaming to take them, taking the ball of others, hungry to score, wanting to be the top scorer in Europe. This has been my issue so far with Martial when played as a striker, hasn't been selfish enough. Also agree that one man should be given the job regardless of whether he misses.

Absolutely agree. If he misses maybe 3 in a row you should probably take it off him but anyone can miss one. Alan shearer would have handed in a transfer request if the penalties had been taken off him.

When you look back throughout our time under Fergie he never bothered with this rotation nonsense!

Ruud missed a huge penalty against the Arsenal but didn't get replaced. Ronaldo missed some but didn't. Irwin too. You just don't do it to players as it heaps unnecessary pressure on them. Plus it puts pressure on the next guy knowing he's next for the chop!

Agree with @JSNFRMN_MUFC about Martial... I want to see him be more greedy to be the top scorer at the club. I want to see him grab that ball and place it down. Rooney has done that in his career and it's why he'll no doubt become the clubs top scorer.

Messi misses quite often, missed 8 in La Liga career. Scored 3 out of 7 this season. Still on penalty duties, suppose it doesn't really matter for Barca though, they score 5 goals a game so it doesn't matter.

No true... A miss on a big win doesn't really matter! But they stick with him despite his misses. Mind you it's odd that he's missed so many because he's technically so good and doesn't seem to have pressure issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back