Paul Pogba | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw something suggesting that the journalist who got the quote is claiming it’s been twisted and he didn’t make any negative comments against the club during their interview.

I’m sure Ole will get to the bottom of it andgiven the nonsense written about Rashford & Greenwood in recent days we might see Ole go for the press in his next press conference and back his players if the quotes are bogus.
He seems to get mis quoted a lot. I'm not buying it, he was quick to come out and deny the false rumours about not playing for France again. He could easily have denied this.

Ole needs to show strength and drop him completely

I agree 100%, I've compared Pogba to Ballotelli in the past also, very talented player whose heart isn't really in it, another comparison imo is Anelka. We should take whatever we can get for him in January, even consider allowing the buying club to stretch it out with smaller installments seeing as no clubs are cash rich at the moment. We certainly won't get a good fee for him with his form over the last 2 seasons.

I'm not having that Pogba is like Ballotelli he's has been a fantastic professional never heard a word from any coach suggesting he's a bad trainer, lacks discipline or anything other than being a lovely guy.

His issues are purely tactical he just isn't a player who is switched on defensively when we lose the ball it's arms in the air not instant reaction he's never managed to get that out of his game it was a problem in youth team football and remains a problem now for him. Juventus covered it and France to an extent cover it as well whereas Utd can't cover up that problem.

Ole needs to show strength and drop him completely
That would be my favoured approach at this point, only problem with it is that you sap all of the already reduced value of the player.

Then again, he hasn't done much to secure a move away even when he plays.

I'm not having that Pogba is like Ballotelli he's has been a fantastic professional never heard a word from any coach suggesting he's a bad trainer, lacks discipline or anything other than being a lovely guy.

His issues are purely tactical he just isn't a player who is switched on defensively when we lose the ball it's arms in the air not instant reaction he's never managed to get that out of his game it was a problem in youth team football and remains a problem now for him. Juventus covered it and France to an extent cover it as well whereas Utd can't cover up that problem.

I'm with you, he's not a Balotelli. Who was just an idiot.

Unfortunately our 3 best midfielders all want to play in the same position. Bruno was bought to replace Pogba not play alongside him. I'd still be wanting to give Pogba another chance. He's in our top 2 players when on form and if we could get Pogba and Bruno to work together it'd go a long way to improving our league position.

I'm with you, he's not a Balotelli. Who was just an idiot.

Unfortunately our 3 best midfielders all want to play in the same position. Bruno was bought to replace Pogba not play alongside him. I'd still be wanting to give Pogba another chance. He's in our top 2 players when on form and if we could get Pogba and Bruno to work together it'd go a long way to improving our league position.

Balotelli just struck me as a kid who never grew up he couldn't handle the mental side of the game always being told where to be and what to do, he kicked back against that sort of authority which is why clubs got fed up with him. Pogba isn't like that at all from what we hear from anyone who's worked with him he's a fully dedicated professional issue for him is he's not afraid to say what he thinks sometimes and that can backfire on him.

I always compare Pogba to Ozil you have to accommodate a player like that and in the current style being adopted by clubs you can't really hide him on the pitch anymore. So unless you're doing what Messi and Ronaldo do with the ball where you are contributing so many goals/assists you can excuse the fact that he walks rather than runs when it comes to defending it isn't really worth it to the team. To an extent Liverpool hide Salah in their system and City do it with Aguero because what they get going forward is worth so much you can let the fact that they don't really defend much slide.

The modern number 10's are now expected to work their nuts off like Rooney did for us you have to be switched on to that part of the game now there's very few exceptions to it. Bruno has a much higher work rate than Pogba when he plays in that role.

For France around him in midfield he had Kante, Matoudi and in front of him Griezmann 3 players known for being extremely hard working as well as technically gifted so you could hide Pogba in that team.

The move for Bruno I think was us accepting it was time to move on from him and that's got to be the intention now especially with the signing of VDB in the summer.

Balotelli just struck me as a kid who never grew up he couldn't handle the mental side of the game always being told where to be and what to do, he kicked back against that sort of authority which is why clubs got fed up with him. Pogba isn't like that at all from what we hear from anyone who's worked with him he's a fully dedicated professional issue for him is he's not afraid to say what he thinks sometimes and that can backfire on him.

I always compare Pogba to Ozil you have to accommodate a player like that and in the current style being adopted by clubs you can't really hide him on the pitch anymore. So unless you're doing what Messi and Ronaldo do with the ball where you are contributing so many goals/assists you can excuse the fact that he walks rather than runs when it comes to defending it isn't really worth it to the team. To an extent Liverpool hide Salah in their system and City do it with Aguero because what they get going forward is worth so much you can let the fact that they don't really defend much slide.

The modern number 10's are now expected to work their nuts off like Rooney did for us you have to be switched on to that part of the game now there's very few exceptions to it. Bruno has a much higher work rate than Pogba when he plays in that role.

For France around him in midfield he had Kante, Matoudi and in front of him Griezmann 3 players known for being extremely hard working as well as technically gifted so you could hide Pogba in that team.

The move for Bruno I think was us accepting it was time to move on from him and that's got to be the intention now especially with the signing of VDB in the summer.
I think we both mentioned at the time of the VDB signing that it was clear that it was curtains for Pogba at the club, especially given that we already had Bruno.

I think we both mentioned at the time of the VDB signing that it was clear that it was curtains for Pogba at the club, especially given that we already had Bruno.

Yeah think they hoped to get Pogba firing as part of that midfield 2 but it's not really working out warning signs emerged at the end of last season and carried into this season that we couldn't really find the right balance in that 2 with Pogba in the side.

I think if he was really part of the longer term plan they'd have locked that new contract down over the summer but talk of new deals is very quiet from all sides so makes me feel like this season is a marriage of convenience everyone accepting a move last summer was impossible.

Hes a Pregnant Fish
Well, it is highly debated what you actually call a pregnant fish. Some say it is TWIT, some say it is TWERP, and some say it is your previous suggestion :)
But they are all wrong, as fish do not actually get pregnant as such, just like chickens they lay eggs. So it is actually an egg laden fish.
Some believe and egg laden fish is called a TWOT, which is text talk for Total Waste Of Time.
To me Pogba is a TWOFT.

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on Paul Pogba and the club's home form:

"Paul’s had a difficult season last season. He’s had Covid. Three games for France has helped him get his fitness and rhythm, I spoke to him and he feels stronger for it.

"I think he’s only going to improve and is a very important player and person for us - to have him in form is vital for us.

----------------------------------

Bit of a dodge at the press conference suggests it's no dramas over the comments and he's likely to feature tomorrow either as a starter or a sub.

Premier League: West Ham United 1-3 Manchester United - 5th December 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great goal, which I didn’t expect, but he was poor overall I thought.

He was poor but still better than the other two midfielders.

Yeah, he was decent in the second half. Pretty much like the rest of the team.

Improved second half after his well taken goal. Shocking first half though. We would love him to be a leader and drag us through difficult periods in matches, but he won't ever be this for us.

He spoke after the game said he’s starting to feel back to his best physically admitted that Covid had impacted him physically more than has been made public until now.

It’s been a topic in America amongst NFL players who’ve had Covid suddenly not looking the same players when they come back.

He finished the game strong yesterday and totally changed it with a great goal but in the middle of game he was really poor sloppy passing giving the ball away cheaply.

It was a 90 minutes that sort of sums him up bit like this team really.

I thought he was good yesterday. Let's hope he can keep it up. Although Evra brought up he asked the board to leave again. He needs to sign or go, I do really like him but I don't think I've ever seen a more frustrating player. That finish yesterday was exquisite.

I thought he was good yesterday. Let's hope he can keep it up. Although Evra brought up he asked the board to leave again. He needs to sign or go, I do really like him but I don't think I've ever seen a more frustrating player. That finish yesterday was exquisite.

I think that was a reference to a few seasons ago seems pretty clear he wanted to go in 2018 and again in 2019 but the club wouldn’t let him.

I think the team has moved on from him the frenetic way this team plays I don’t think suits him he needs to be in a side that really dominates the ball it seems our style is much more direct so we lose the ball a lot and without the ball Pogba isn’t the best.

On the ball there are few better his long range passing and shooting is brilliant.

I think it’s time to go I’m bored of the Paul Pogba show it needs to move on to a new town.

Carabao Cup: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 23rd December 2020

He was very good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fair play, I can't stand Pogba but the last few matches he's turning up for the team, he's finally learned what being a "professional" footballer is all about.

He’s in good form at the moment looks fully fit again just getting his head down and focusing on football.

Given time on the ball and he can really hurt teams put under pressure he struggles so Ole has to use him wisely which he is doing now rather than play him every game.

The better he plays the more chances we have of winning and also getting a decent price in the summer so it’s win win for everyone.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 29th December 2020

Bit of a sloppy first half with the ball but kept his discipline to make sure we always had some protection in midfield as with the ball Matic was basically playing at left back.

Second half when Shaw came on and Matic took a more central role when we had the ball it allowed Pogba to drive forward a bit more and he started to have a lot more influence on the game.

He almost scored a screamer as well.

I don’t expect him to start vs Villa that will require a different type of game but these home games where teams park the bus Pogba is vital.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Aston Villa - 1st January 2021

Been very good of late. Think he was brilliant tonight.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Aston Villa - 1st January 2021

Been very good of late. Think he was brilliant tonight.
100% agree. I have been critical of him in the past, but tonight was his best performance all season. Most importantly, he looks fit and fully recovered after illness with Covid-19.

He had a poor start to the season sounds like he had some issues with Covid 19 and how it impacted him but his performances are just getting better and better.

He deserved a goal yesterday bet he was livid with his miss last night looked a certain goal just didn’t quite get the angle of the shot right.

I honestly think not being the main man and centre of attention is doing him the world of good he just gets on with his game and contributing less pressure on him as we’ve got others capable of being the match winners.

If we win the league he might sign a new deal, who knows

Who knows but feels like that would be mission accomplished at Utd and time to move on.

I think he’d love to go out as a winner but unless Utd offered him a silly deal which they shouldn’t I just think he feels it’s time for a change.

Still struggling to see where he goes just don’t see where the money comes from to buy him.

Maybe, I think he just wants to win trophies, especially the CL. He wants Madrid but it seems they have other ideas now

It would be hard for him to backtrack on the comments made now but in football who knows. I did wonder at the time of his agents comments were an attempt to flush out a contract offer from Utd.

He’s earning top mega star money but really in this team he’s not the star so it will be tough for Utd to justify a silly contract for him. If they said same terms for another 4 years it would be very hard for him to turn that down as he isn’t going to get offered silly money by other clubs.

I do agree he wants to win the big prizes if he feels Utd are back in that mix he might U turn but I think he wants out.

Hard to see where he goes that is a ready made challenger even Juventus are rebuilding.

He will go to Madrid. I hope he leaves with a Premier League winners medal around his neck, though. Spanish clubs play by different financial rules, so if Madrid really wants him, they'll get him, and what the deal will look like is open to debate. Our club is run by money men, and if Madrid offers cash + player(s) as Pogba's contract winds down, they'll take it - and they should. It's a shame that we only caught glimpses of how good Pogba can be. If he wins us the league, all is forgiven, and good luck at your next club, Paul.

The ideal scenario would be we win the league but Pogba doesn't get enough games to get a medal

Think that's a thing of the past. Everyone registered gets one and you can apply for more for youngsters not registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back