Paul Pogba | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pogba and Bruno either side of Fred. All 3 are box to box midfielders. Pogba is a level above those that aren’t Bruno and having both of them to create things would really make us tick.

Think the only way you fit them all in is with a diamond which might actually work for the players we have right now as we don't really have any wide options but it would be a short term fix as we'd need the wingers back next season.

Fred Matic/McTominay Pogba

Bruno

That would give you a lot of quality in the middle of the pitch but I think in the games vs teams that sit in we'd struggle to break them down as we'd have almost no width.

no, and he likes the width. I'm not sure Pogba is in his future plans, especially if he's going for Sancho.

If we cant' sell him then it could be a problem. It looks to me Bruno was Pogba's relacement.

no, and he likes the width. I'm not sure Pogba is in his future plans, especially if he's going for Sancho.

If we cant' sell him then it could be a problem. It looks to me Bruno was Pogba's relacement.
100% I think the team is better without him if he sorts he’s act out now what’s to say he won’t be throwing he’s toys out the pram next season we need players that want to be there and play for Ole , look at Liverpool’s midfield I personally don’t think they are anywhere near good enough to be current CL and next PL champions but it’s who wants to be there and give there all.

If City can make it work with De Bruyne and David Silva in their midfield then we can Pogba and Bruno. They’re our two best players and I look forward to how impressive we can be with them both playing

If City can make it work with De Bruyne and David Silva in their midfield then we can Pogba and Bruno. They’re our two best players and I look forward to how impressive we can be with them both playing
There is also this point but we must get him happy and sign an extension with Bruno and maybe sancho might be enough to make him happy , who loses there place to pogba?

The thing that made that work was Fernandino and commitment to a style of play that gets you 70% possession in every game I don't think Utd have that type of player and that type of pressing organisation to make that work but if you can get it then it would be great.

Getting them both in the team if Pogba is fully committed is a must we have to at least give it a try.

My only concern is if Ole wants Pogba to go in the summer then will he bother wasting time trying it?

Hopefully the summer signings will mean we don't need to keep dropping to a back 3 we can set out a style/formation that we're willing to go up against anyone with.

You’d have to think that the epidemic has killed off any chance he had of moving. Juve haven’t got money to splash now. Has he got 1 plus the option left in his contract at the end of this year or is next year the option year?

If so we might have to let him leave on the cheap rather than risk him going free.

His contract runs to july 2021 but we can extend by 1 year when he enters the final year so yeah it’s 2022.

Given everything that’s going on I think he’d be wise to seek an extension at Utd and just accept this is where his career is now. I think if he sees the club looking like they want to really go for it over the next 2-3 seasons and really challenge for the top titles he might stay. If Utd can get the signings right over the next few windows they could build a very competitive team and deep down I think Pogba would love to win a big trophy at Utd as I think he feels that he owes us.

He’s done a podcast with the club which will be released this week.

I personally think Utd should move him on at this point I don’t care how good he is he is not worth the hassle that comes with him there are far to many people around Pogba who like to talk on his behalf be that his brothers or his agent. Utd need Pogba to put the silencer on them if he stays you speak for yourself now not through others get your house in order. Utd needs to be a settled environment where laundry gets washed in house not out in the open and Pogba for me gets to much attention.

Man Utd vs Bournemouth

Since he came back he’s been excellent no longer required to carry the burden of the entire teams performance on his shoulder he just goes about his business dominating the centre of the park and creating chances.

Seems to look happier than he ever has here be interesting to see if he signs a new deal this summer and commits to this rebuild.

Man Utd vs Bournemouth

Since he came back he’s been excellent no longer required to carry the burden of the entire teams performance on his shoulder he just goes about his business dominating the centre of the park and creating chances.

Seems to look happier than he ever has here be interesting to see if he signs a new deal this summer and commits to this rebuild.

He's allowed to not try as hard as he use to since the creativity is now shared with Bruno instead of Lingard/Mata/Pereira. Defo helps ease the burden of him and he defo looks great. Hopefully he extends his contract as the signs of the team gelling and looking like the old Man Utd has been very promising.

Aside from the ridiculous penalty he gave away he barely trotted around the pitch with absolutely no urgency. He looks like the Pogba we all know and hate. And why was he playing so deep? Matic should have been left in front of the defense and the two of them should have been further forward together. Bruno was poor tonight but he was everywhere. Matic was on the ball so much in advanced positions and kept going sidewards, this is where Pogba should be on the ball.

Pogba looks a little tired to be honest and his usual good touch and spin away from opposing players is a little sloppy. I don’t blame him for putting his hands up, if a ball is rocketing towards your face you have a split second to think shall I duck or protect my teeth? It was silly to do but I’m not gonna go mental lambasting him for it.

Aside from the ridiculous penalty he gave away he barely trotted around the pitch with absolutely no urgency. He looks like the Pogba we all know and hate. And why was he playing so deep? Matic should have been left in front of the defense and the two of them should have been further forward together. Bruno was poor tonight but he was everywhere. Matic was on the ball so much in advanced positions and kept going sidewards, this is where Pogba should be on the ball.

He's deep because that's his job we're playing a 4-2-3-1 so he sits with Matic allowing Bruno total freedom his job is to get the ball into the attackers as quickly as possible. Last night it looked like West Ham tried to stick Noble on him to stop him getting on the ball which gave Matic the freedom and he did play some nice balls through the lines to open the space up but the attacking 4 all had off nights. You work as a pair in that system when one pushes the other sits deeper and the idea is you alternate that role.

Pogba was ok last night he looks tired but so does everyone West Ham totally clogged the middle of the pitch and Utd didn't really have the weapons to hurt them in wide areas on the night Rashford had a stinker, Greenwood was ok, and the two full backs gave us nothing going forward.

As a team we didn't squeeze up the pitch and press West Ham which meant we were forced back easily.

That handball sort of summed it up he wasn't switched on and looking at the free kick so when it suddenly came at him he panics and chucked up his hands. Had he been watching and focused he could have either ducked or put his head in the way. It was so crazy I'm not even sure the ref believed what he saw.

Beg's the question, do we need to play the 2 in holding midfield against West Ham and teams like that? Surely Matic should be there as a screen to the back 4 giving Pogba more licence to play slightly more advanced. It's not like West Ham really put much pressure on us at the back

Beg's the question, do we need to play the 2 in holding midfield against West Ham and teams like that? Surely Matic should be there as a screen to the back 4 giving Pogba more licence to play slightly more advanced. It's not like West Ham really put much pressure on us at the back

Well that system worked brilliantly in a lot of games before that.

I would say we do as I don't believe Matic is capable of playing on his own in their as he's not got the legs to cover the whole width of the pitch and he's not a good enough playmaker either. We also lack full backs that really want to push high on both sides of the pitch to pin the opponent in and also one of our centre backs is incredible vulnerable to direct attacks. As you've said they aren't both holding players they take it in turns to go forward you need a seriously good holding player to just play 1 in a team even Kante doesn't do that job he's always got someone next to him helping him.

Where it's failing is the energy has gone from the front end of the team the forwards look shattered so they're not pressing the opponent as much so they are able to build up and push us back. Those games where we were really on it our front 4 along with the full backs were pushing right up the pitch forcing teams into mistakes that isn't happening anymore.

I would say we do as I don't believe Matic is capable of playing on his own in their as he's not got the legs to cover the whole width of the pitch and he's not a good enough playmaker either.
I think Matic is taking too much stick recently. It's only up to a few games ago we were signing his praises both before and after the restart. Seems the rest of the team can be to an extend excused for tiredness but he cant.

I think Matic is taking too much stick recently. It's only up to a few games ago we were signing his praises both before and after the restart. Seems the rest of the team can be to an extend excused for tiredness but he cant.

That's sort of my point though we can't expect a man of 32 to do that job on his own because his legs will be gone within a few months.

Matic has been great since the turn of the year but you can see he's struggling physically and when he's struggling like all players he makes a few to many silly fouls and takes a few to many touches on the ball.

Even in his prime I don't think Matic could play that role on his own he never has he's always been in a 2 man midfield he's not really a defensive midfielder he's an all rounder box to box player that's always been the role he plays. Plays the game simply and to his strengths, doesn't take silly risks just ticks it over it's why coaches love him as you know exactly what you'll get from him but I think we've seen in the last 2 seasons is you can't really expect him to do it 50 games a season anymore.

We need to look after him so when he does play he's fresh and ready this kind of football on cocaine spell hasn't helped him 3 games every 7 days has drained him.

Matic is great when he makes advanced moves through the opposition midfield, he creates panic in the opposition when he does that.

Yep his passing through tight gaps is also very good breaking defensive lines.

Just think if we asked him to play as the holder on his own like Fernandinho or Busquets do he's not really that sort of player. Fabinho does it at Liverpool but their two attacking midfielders are nowhere near the sort of flair players we have they're work horses.

What’s the opinion on Pogba now? He can still produce brilliant moments but gosh he can look ropey on the ball sometimes. He has wonderful ability but sometimes he needs to learn how to play it a little more conservative, rather than try and jig through 3 or 4 players. Not sure I’m totally convinced by him alongside a defensive midfielder but obviously we now have Bruno higher up so that’s his position now. I don’t think we will sell, mainly because I don’t think there would be any buyers in this climate. Next season though he needs to tighten up his game.

Think he's playing well in the new role yes sometimes he gets caught on the ball but the amount of times he turns and opens up the pitch by beating the press is worth the risk in my opinion.

Not sure we've quite found the right partnership in there yet but I do think it's the role for him.

Main thing now is he needs to sign a new contract and commit this will he or won't he stay stuff needs knocking on the head and that means if he signs a new deal he needs to speak in public about his commitment to the club.

Raiola has said he expects Pogba to stay with talk soon opening on a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back