Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0
Super Cup 0

Previous Seasons
Paul Pogba | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Pre Season: Manchester City 0-2 Manchester United - 20th July 2017

Think his going to be a completely different player next season. His passing range is fantastic and when you consider the natural link his got with Lukaku, the pair of them could really cause others problems. Then on top of that his got the willingness of Rashord to run the channels and go beyond the last man. Pogba options when he receives the ball are frightening. I do think if we can get someone who wants to hold and sit next to him, the big man will be freed up to find these players all over the final third. Jose has made him the main cog of the side and its looks like its going to pay off.

Having pace upfront will make a big difference for him. He's going to be making that pass to Lukaku all season.

Pace, mobility and a striker who plays off the last shoulder will help Pogba and the other attacking players.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Super Cup: Real Madrid 2-1 Manchester United - 8th August 2017

Disappointing performance.

I watched the game and I really don't think he was that bad against the best midfield in Europe I thought he was ok and of the 3 who started the game he certainly wasn't the worst. Utd allowed themselves to be outnumbered in there with Isco drifting in to make it more of a 4 it was almost impossible to pick your man up as one minute Casemiro is holding then he's forward and Modric/Kroos have dropped.

It was a midfield master class from Madrid for an hour and our 3 couldn't work out how to deal with it.

He made a big mistake first half on that counter attack chance going for glory rather than passing.

I think he just needs to get his head right for tbe big games. I think he feels like he has to show the world how good he is. If he plays his normal game he will do that.

I think people also need to accept he's not superman like Ozil he won't be the guy who turns the game when we are under pressure to get the best out of Pogba we need to be the dominant team in games.

People don't like hearing it but Herrera was very poor last night and with Isco coming in the middle it was 4 vs 3 in their and we couldn't cope with it, it was only when Fellaini came on and we went direct bypassing the midfield that we managed to get a bit more control.

Pogba for me has to get more of a defined role in the team. He is special because he can do everything a center midfielder can do to such a high standard. But he needs to have much more of a fixed role in the side. Is he going to roam the midfield? His he going to collect the ball from center backs and pick passes and spray the ball around? His he going to be closer to the center forward and play those through balls and get shots in of his own. That's where i see him playing. I think if he played 10-15 yards further forward then last night he'd be a world beater. His so strong, so good at running with the ball, both footed, such a good passer, big and tall. His got so many attributes to his game. His got the cover of Matic sitting behind him making tackles and shielding the back 4 now. His got the energy of Ander in there as well, who himself can pick the ball off that back 4 and start moves. Why not make him get closer to Rom and get that link going they've got? I agree with the comments on here that maybe he tried to hard last night. He probably was frustrated as much as anything after chasing shadows for an hour against them last night.

I kind of see it like this if he's playing on the left side of the midfield 3 then surely we want to load the left side with attacking players for him to combine with when he's in forward positions he's sort of falling into that Rooney trap of only really having the big hollywood diagonal ball out to Rooney as his midfield party piece. Obviously when the ball is going down the right he needs to get himself into the box for goal scoring opportunities and I'd like to see him take a bit more ownership of the set pieces especially within 30 yards where shots can be taken at goal.

The Pogba & Lukaku link is more effective when there's distance between them as Pogba can play those long balls over the top for Lukaku to run on to he tried a few last night but he over hit them and not every team has got a 100m sprinter like Varane at CB to keep up with Lukaku.

I think him & Herrera need to be targetting 5-10 goals each in all comps next season they are attacking midfield players in this system.

There are sometimes where Pogba creates a problem for himself it's normally where he's taken a first touch but he's stopped moving he will try and work his way out of trouble but he doesn't always get out.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 West Ham United - 13th August 2017

Some of the things he does with the ball in midfield are a joy to watch the way he just moves the ball around to get himself out of trouble at times is mesmerising.

Played a few nice passes yesterday as well always looking to create chance with his pass first even if it is a risky pass that might not come off that is what I like about him he doesn't just play safe all the time.

Very nice to see him getting off the mark early this season after hitting the woodwork so much last season. Fancy him to do really well this season.

Premier League: Swansea City 0-4 Manchester United - 19th August 2017

Premier League: Stoke City 2-2 Manchester United - 9th September 2017

He was poor today.

Poor seems over the top criticism he was average in a tough game a few flashes of brilliance on the ball but the final pass to often over hit.

Do we think it could have been the way we set up from the beginning? And it being a change from the way we've set up in the other 3 games? I kind of felt watching the first half that actually too much went through Herrera! And Herrera wasn't quite on his game. Pogba didn't seem to have the freedom to go and dominate which was odd given in a 4-3-3 you'd think he'd actually have more.

I think the lack of an attacking left back means he had nothing outside him to go wide so he was always coming back into play as Rashford drifts inside and darmian doesn't really go forward so we were always narrow on that side.

I think the reason Herrera was so involved as Valencia was the width so most of the play went down that side.

Stoke has 2 in the middle in Allen & Fletcher and we didn't really over run them in there they were happy to let us have the ball and it was hard to drag them out of position.

I just don't think the 3 worked yesterday probably wasn't worth changing it but it did look like Herrera needed a game as he didn't play internationals either and has looked rusty so far.

If I was ranking Pogba out of 10 I'd probably go 5/6 very average performance.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-1 Newcastle United - 18th November 2016

All I can say is if you ever get the chance to see this guy live do it, he’s so much more impressive.

So class. I think his spell out has made people appreciate him more. The ball to Martial for the first was delicious.

He was absolute class. Not really much more to add, I think if he didn’t get his injury then we wouldn’t be 8 points behind City.

Premier League: Arsenal v Manchester United - 2nd November 2017

On his actual performance, he was good with the ball, but very lazy without it, which was one reason why Arsenal were allowed so much space.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Southampton - 30th December 2017

Quite simply while we are playing this poorly he has to be our number 10. His our best passer. His the best ball carrier we've got. Both traits are ideal for playing that role. Sitting in front of the back 4 playing quarter back passes is a waste of this guy's talent. He needs to be closer to the goal, making and creating chances for himself and others.

I forgot he was playing at points during the game.

His form has been disappointing since the ban.

He's not a 10, for me. I think he should be given a free role and license to roam in a three man midfield.

Did he cost us a goal?

Can’t believe people (not necessarily you) are suggesting he shouldn’t touch that, he has to make sure it goes in as even on replay I’m not 100% it’s going in as it’s going towards the post.

Premier League: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 1st January 2018

He was quality.

His best game since Newcastle absolutely run the show tonight from start to finish.

We needed him to step up and he did now it’s time to do that again and again like he was at the start of the season.

When he's given that freedom he gets us playing higher up the pitch and our play in the final 3rd is so much better as a result. In the last few games he was too deep, playing some very nice passes out wide but not involved enough and not in the right areas either. Think if we're to continue with 3 in midfield long term we'll need to get another CM in aswell as better wide men.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-0 Stoke City - 15th January 2018

He was class.

Great performance from him. Don't know another centre mid in the world that can do as many things as him. Stoke gave him space and time and he punished them.

Masterclass by Pogba. So much power and finesse and he makes it look effortless. Nice to see him taking games by the scuff of the neck and like he said last night he is playing with more attacking intent and freedom now and it suits him so much better. Be great to see him net a few, he'd be the complete midfielder then. 8/10.

Great performance from him. Don't know another centre mid in the world that can do as many things as him. Stoke gave him space and time and he punished them.

I think De Bruyne is the only one who can match him in terms of the all round game but last night Pogba was just showing off against a team with a really poor midfield that offered him way to much space and didn't have anyone even close to being able to handle him physically be it for speed or power last night Pogba knew he was too good for them and he seemed to have a point to prove to show them.

Since Scholes kind of dug him out a bit for his performance vs Southampton which wasn't great he's really upped his level and he's back to the Pogba we saw at the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back