Paul Pogba: I wish United would attack, attack, attack at home

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yet another confirmation that Jose is wrong for this club. I think the weirdest part of this is why Jose bought Pogba in the first place. He must have known that he had basic attacking instincts that were at odds with his own philosophy. Why buy a racing pigeon and then put it in a chicken run to feed off scraps?

I do wonder how long the "keep faith with Jose" brigade can keep their eyes shut to what is actually going on. This is just going to go on and on and on until Jose goes. Something has to change.

Our main man at the heart of our team just doesn't fully believe in Jose's way and I don't blame him for kicking against the lack of ambition we show sometimes. My guess is that Pogba is not the only one who feels this way in that team and it goes a long way to explaining why we are inconsistent, lacking in confidence and not playing well often enough.

We should be playing much more like Wolves are trying to do. They look like they love playing the way they do and there's this harmony between coach and players and fans. It's not rocket science. By using the phrase "attack, attack , attack" Pogba is appealing to the fans and pointing out to Jose that at home you have to make use of the crowd somehow. He's also showing that he has more understanding than Jose of the kind of play and approach that United fans want. I'd be much happier to have Pogba as player manager rather than this nonsense.

When you read the quote, it's not directed at the manager, and the manager said he was disappointed with the attck too, so they both said the same thing.

So again, not that I am a Jose fan, it bothers me people pick up on this and use it to beat Jose.

As far as the football goes, it's a difficult one, I strongly believe you must stick with the manager, but something isn't right. The players are happy, there is no manager revolt, but Jose is kind of saying, they don't do what they are meant to. Too often they put in a poor performance, why?

Granted it is not squad gifted with huge quality, especially in attack and defence. but we should be winning these games, especially at home.

I can't quite put my finger on what the problem is.

‘I’d be happier to have Pogba as a player manager’ - Oh my god. I’ve read it all.

The problem is the entire team doesn't work hard enough if you want to sustain attacks you need to suffocate the opposition and force them back make it impossible to get out make them afraid to pass into midfield because you've got someone right up your backside just force them to hack long balls to a lone front man who is up against 2 CB's. You have to pen them in and not let them out with wave after wave of attack this rarely happens from Utd we don't build pressure because teams get out to easily against us.

Pogba was not attacking the manager I think he's having a dig at his team mates I didn't see the game but it sounds like there were a few to many not prepared to get on the front foot and force the opposition back.

From the bits I did see once again everyone was relying on Pogba to create something no one else seemed to step up and try to take the game to the opposition that might be what he's criticising others really need to start stepping it up.

Wolves are a good side they took a point against City to this season which they deserved and the way they play I think is setup to do well against the top sides but Utd needed a win and they didn't get it and more points dropped means the season already feels over from a league point of view.

When you read the quote, it's not directed at the manager, and the manager said he was disappointed with the attck too, so they both said the same thing.

So again, not that I am a Jose fan, it bothers me people pick up on this and use it to beat Jose.

As far as the football goes, it's a difficult one, I strongly believe you must stick with the manager, but something isn't right. The players are happy, there is no manager revolt, but Jose is kind of saying, they don't do what they are meant to. Too often they put in a poor performance, why?

Granted it is not squad gifted with huge quality, especially in attack and defence. but we should be winning these games, especially at home.

I can't quite put my finger on what the problem is.

....but you would hope that Jose would put his finger on it soon yes? Where's the evidence that he will do this? The problem is that there doesn't have to be a "manager revolt" for it to be a relatively huge problem. In top level sport of any kind you only have to be off by 0.5% and you just can't compete. The margins are incredibly tight. That ability to turn draws into wins is vital. We are already well off the pace and it's not been caused by some "calamity" , it's just that you need your team to be 100% clear about what they doing and to be really comfortable with the style of play. In essence you need your players to heavily buy into what you are doing as a manager and this is obviously not the case right now otherwise Pogba would not be saying this. In the end it costs us the ability to really compete.

It all comes down to whether you want to be actually competing with Liverpool and City or languishing in 7th. Both these clubs seem to have a harmony between fans , players , manager and chairman. We do not and that's why we can't compete, Jose probably won't even listen to Pogba or take on board any of the issues he's raised , and for me that's not good management. He's a dictator and a criticiser when he should be listening more to his players. If he doesn't nothing will change.

‘I’d be happier to have Pogba as a player manager’ - Oh my god. I’ve read it all.

I agree it sounds ridiculous but it's just an indication of how nonsensical I think things have become.

In any case you and I both know that it was meant as a tongue in cheek , rhetorical comment. To take a comment that you well know is just playful and expressive and make it into something else by pretending that I'm deadly serious is disingenuous. You would do better to address the very real problems that Pogba is bringing up here rather than deflecting away and trying to take me down cul-de-sacs.

I'm asking you honestly now - do you think we should be attacking more at home like our rivals seem to be doing?

Really hard to work out from his quotes if he's saying that the players aren't carrying out the instructions or is he suggesting the manager restricts them with his instructions or is he saying Wolves restricted them from attacking with the way they played.

Things that would help us attack more.

A right back who can get forward on a regular basis and stick in a decent cross full backs are basically wingers in modern football.
More attack minded creative players in central midfield Fellaini/Matic are work horses not creators. Really think it needs to be one or the other and not sure either really has the range of passing you want from a player in that position they need to move the ball forward quickly. I know only Fellaini started on Saturday but at home we should have 2 attack minded players in our 3.
Wide players who create shooting opportunities for themselves and look to attack teams in behind feels like all our guys want to play in front of the defence rather than try to get behind them.
A centre forward who can link with wide players better than he currently does when they come inside.

I actually think a change in system would help scrap the 4-3-3 as we don't have wide forwards and go for a diamond in midfield I think we have the system to play that way but not sure we have a good enough defence to play that way.

....but you would hope that Jose would put his finger on it soon yes? Where's the evidence that he will do this? The problem is that there doesn't have to be a "manager revolt" for it to be a relatively huge problem. In top level sport of any kind you only have to be off by 0.5% and you just can't compete. The margins are incredibly tight. That ability to turn draws into wins is vital. We are already well off the pace and it's not been caused by some "calamity" , it's just that you need your team to be 100% clear about what they doing and to be really comfortable with the style of play. In essence you need your players to heavily buy into what you are doing as a manager and this is obviously not the case right now otherwise Pogba would not be saying this. In the end it costs us the ability to really compete.

It all comes down to whether you want to be actually competing with Liverpool and City or languishing in 7th. Both these clubs seem to have a harmony between fans , players , manager and chairman. We do not and that's why we can't compete, Jose probably won't even listen to Pogba or take on board any of the issues he's raised , and for me that's not good management. He's a dictator and a criticiser when he should be listening more to his players. If he doesn't nothing will change.

but your way forward doesn't work, Moyes didn't work out, get rid, LVG didn't work out, get rid, Jose, get rid, then next and the next and the next. You need stability and a plan.
They have a harmony becasue they are winning, its when you are up against it you need to stick together. Liverpool have started well but it's a long season. Lets not forget people were calling for Klopps head last year becasuse there was no improvement or trophies.

Really hard to work out from his quotes if he's saying that the players aren't carrying out the instructions or is he suggesting the manager restricts them with his instructions or is he saying Wolves restricted them from attacking with the way they played.

What? I don't think it's that hard to work out at all really. Look at the quote below. It's obvious that he's implying that Mou's tactics are causing the problem otherwise why say " I'm not the manager " ?? He then goes on to say AFTERWARDS what the players could be doing but his starting point is clearly with Jose. He's only a bit unclear because he's worried about getting in trouble with his manager and doesn't want to be seen as divisive, so he's being diplomatic and guarded with his words. But surely anyone with some basic decoding skills can decode it and work out who he's referring to here. He's obviously saying " I have a problem with how Jose gets us to play at home " . He knows , like everyone knows , that style of play is the managers remit not the players.

I wonder why you don't want to see the obvious ? Is it because it's too uncomfortable for you to think that there are rifts between parts of our team and the manager and they are real and can't be explained away.

“I’m not the manager, I cannot, like, say that but … obviously we should show more option of playing but I cannot say that because I’m a player,” Pogba said. “That’s my way of thinking - we should move better, we should move more, yeah. "

What? I don't think it's that hard to work out at all really. Look at the quote below. It's obvious that he's implying that Mou's tactics are causing the problem otherwise why say " I'm not the manager " ?? He then goes on to say AFTERWARDS what the players could be doing but his starting point is clearly with Jose. He's only a bit unclear because he's worried about getting in trouble with his manager and doesn't want to be seen as divisive, so he's being diplomatic and guarded with his words. But surely anyone with some basic decoding skills can decode it and work out who he's referring to here. He's obviously saying " I have a problem with how Jose gets us to play at home " . He knows , like everyone knows , that style of play is the managers remit not the players.

I wonder why you don't want to see the obvious ? Is it because it's too uncomfortable for you to think that there are rifts between parts of our team and the manager and they are real and can't be explained away.

“I’m not the manager, I cannot, like, say that but … obviously we should show more option of playing but I cannot say that because I’m a player,” Pogba said. “That’s my way of thinking - we should move better, we should move more, yeah. "

I don't have access to the tweet posted I searched the quotes elsewhere and only 1 place reported the "I'm not the manager" line the fact Sky & BBC ignored it considering it's a bit of a bombshell made me wonder if it was actually true or has it been distorted.

Have a look at my posts I'm not in any denial it's clear Pogba & Mourinho are no fans of each other they're like a couple who are trying to stick together for the sake of the kids but that relationship ended 9 months ago. I think there's clearly a camp of players who'd happily see the back of Mourinho and it's depressing that we have to pick sides between our best player and manager it's not healthy and it's not going to get us to where we want the club to be but it is what it is currently and no amount of moaning is going to change that as neither seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Pogba has also tweeted something today suggesting these quotes may have been twisted and taken out of context which given they appear to be in the sun is hardly surprising.

I find a lot of people quote things that were never actually said, and then imply meaning to suit their agenda

I find a lot of people quote things that were never actually said, and then imply meaning to suit their agenda

I quoted Pogba directly from the link at the top of this thread. Maybe Sideshow Bob can illuminate us on what Pogba said or didn't say. As far as I can see from the link offered that's what he said. The link is the Daily Telegraph. I'm no fan of the Telegraph but I doubt very much whether they would quote him saying something he didn't say. It's very rare for a reputable national newspaper to do something like that especially with a direct quote in quotation marks. Its not even a paraphrase or reported speech , it has quotation marks around it. I do think that's what he did say.

I'm stressing this issue because it goes right to the heart of why Jose and United should go their separate ways. Pogba may or may not have said "I'm not the manager " but it's hardly the point. What he is saying and who he is saying to is pretty damn clear and I happen to think he is spot on to say it.

Open your eyes people. This delusion has to end. Jose's the wrong man for us and he's not going to change his ways and we are not going to compete at a high level. We need to end this asap , get rid of him , and build for a more fearless and adventurous future team.

"Maybe the attitude should be better and we should play better because, again, we are at Old Trafford and we should just attack and press like we did against Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal last season. When we play like this it’s easier for us.
Pogba was then asked what was stopping United from taking a more adventurous approach and pointed out that, as a player, he is not responsible for the approach United adopt. “I can’t tell you because I’m a player,” he said. “It’s not me.”
The midfielder added: “We didn’t lose but for me we should have won. We are at home, they are three points that we should get. I don’t know how many games we’ve had at home – three – and we’ve got only four points. It’s not enough.”

Paul Pogba criticises Manchester United's approach to playing at Old Trafford

“We should play much better against Wolves,” he said, before echoing a fans’ chant. “When we are at home we should attack, attack, attack. That’s Old Trafford. We are here to attack. I think teams are scared when they see Man United attacking and attacking. That was our mistake today. We’ve had three games at home and we’ve got only four points. It’s not enough.”

The Wolves midfielder Rúben Neves underlined Pogba’s point by arguing the visitors’ fearless approach helped them take a first point at Old Trafford since 1980. “They are not superheroes,” he said. “They are players and if we do things well we can make it difficult for other teams.”
The statistics support Pogba’s theory that United are insufficiently adventurous on their own turf. Over the course of Mourinho’s reign, they have scored 67 home league goals, at least 24 fewer than the rest of the “big six” and 42 fewer than Manchester City. Even Bournemouth and Everton have been more prolific in front of their own crowds while United have not given the Old Trafford faithful three goals to celebrate since January.
If the paying public were docile on Saturday, so were some of Mourinho’s attackers. “Not a lot of movement in front,” noted Pogba. Last month he suggested he would be fined if he said what he really thought. Once again he hinted it would be undiplomatic to reveal his true beliefs. “Obviously we should show more options of playing but I cannot say that because I’m a player,” he said. “That’s my way of thinking: we should move better, we should move more.”

Paul Pogba calls on Manchester United to ‘attack, attack, attack’ at Old Trafford

What I mean is, Pogba has since tweeted that his words were taken out of context and spun to sound like he was having a pop at the manager.

actual full quote

Some people make polemic even from “good morning” to create drama Big Pogoodmorning everyone hope u get it twisted

What I mean is, Pogba has since tweeted that his words were taken out of context and spun to sound like he was having a pop at the manager.

actual full quote

Some people make polemic even from “good morning” to create drama Big Pogoodmorning everyone hope u get it twisted

Yes , he possibly wasn't "taking a pop" at the manager (whatever that means) but he was definitely implying quite clearly that he disagrees with the manager's approach to home games and he obviously thinks that if we attacked more then we would play better and get more points. It may not be a "pop" but it's certainly a message.

Call it whatever you like. It's not a good sign. In any case he's probably trying to dig himself out of a hole because he thinks he might have said too much.

I guess you're not English if you have never heard of that phrase?

Again one thing worth pointing out is we have the answers but not the questions as far as I can tell this is a print interview not something that was recorded.

What questions was Pogba asked to give those responses this is something that is often missed when quotes are used they are used but not given the context.

As for Jose being the right or wrong man I think that argument has been done to death ideally he's not the right man for Utd but given the situation when we needed a new manager he was the best available. He was another short term fix painting over the cracks to keep the show on the road for a few more years. The club gave him his contract then didn't give him the money he needed to chase down City this summer if they think this squad of players is good enough they're deluded.

Apparently Mourinho has told Pogba today he'll never captain the club again as he continues to undermine the club with his comments.

Let’s be honest he was 3rd or 4th choice captain behind Valencia, Young & Smalling who I think were named by Mourinho as his captains in the summer.

Honestly... Keep Pogba and let Jose go. This latest thing about he won't be captain again is a joke. And I'm finding it very hard to truly get behind this club with Jose in charge.

Apparently Mourinho has told Pogba today he'll never captain the club again as he continues to undermine the club with his comments.

I don't even have to tell you what I think of that do I? Let me just say that whatever you are imagining you need to times it by 10.

Of course this right decision, he keeps opening his mouth and putting us in the paper for the wrong reasons, even if he is miss quoted. Rather than jogging on for Adidas adverts he should maybe do some media coaching.
The club should have castigated him too and fined him. He's got too much to say without earning it on the pitch.

This has nothing to do with Jose, please don't bring him into this again as some sort of excuse to get rid of him. Pogba over stepped the line. I am sure his agent is behind it trying to get him his move. He won't care if it affects united. He just wants a move and money. Which is why Pogba never went to Barca last time. Pogba needs to be sold.

Pogba made a power play. Jose is making one. One is going to lose and he out the door. I pray its Jose.

It probably needs to be both and Woodward but if we sell Pogba he gets what he wants and players will know if they kick up stink they'll be allowed to go. I honestly don't think the offers are on the table for him where is £100m going to come from for Pogba?

I honestly feel after last night I'm not with this manager and most of these players just got no time for them and while I don't think it's all his fault the only option is to change the manager if they want things to change short term if they want things to change long term and plan something over the next 2-3 years I really don't see him as that guy either.

If they do sack Jose, I hope they don't just go for a stupid name like Zidane, they need to interview properly, get the right coach with a long term ambitions, get a plan with goals that aren't reliant on instant success and stick to it.

Even though he failed at Cardiff, they were a difficult club to manage at the tme, I would give Ole a chance, he knows the club, the fans would back him, he knows football. Give the guy a chance and let him fail for a bit if he needs to. Build the club up from the bottom again, it's what is needed. Most of this squad needs phasing out and replacing. Take a chance, because the last 3 appointments just haven't worked.

I don't even have to tell you what I think of that do I? Let me just say that whatever you are imagining you need to times it by 10.

I'm assuming you thinking is along the lines of 'Good. It's about time someone made it clear to Pogba he isn't bigger than the club and needs to fall in line and get his talking done on the pitch and stop causing issue's off of it'

I've seen the video. See you later Pogba. I'd have him playing for the U23's this week.

We are turning into a freaking pantomime. That video is pretty damning to be honest, it’s clear they very much dislike each other and something has to give. Both are trying to show who the big man is and if Jose is still backed by the board then Pogba is a goner.

I can imagine that the atmosphere is pretty toxic right now and that’s showing on the pitch, there is no togetherness, no leadership and no-one looks like they are having a good time.

Get rid of them both and give the managers job to Giggsy - only until the end of the season mind...

Whether they go both go is one story, Pogba definitely has to go. I too would drop him, I guess that drops his value though. We should have just sold him in the summer.

If they do sack Jose, I hope they don't just go for a stupid name like Zidane, they need to interview properly, get the right coach with a long term ambitions, get a plan with goals that aren't reliant on instant success and stick to it.

Even though he failed at Cardiff, they were a difficult club to manage at the tme, I would give Ole a chance, he knows the club, the fans would back him, he knows football. Give the guy a chance and let him fail for a bit if he needs to. Build the club up from the bottom again, it's what is needed. Most of this squad needs phasing out and replacing. Take a chance, because the last 3 appointments just haven't worked.

They need to appoint a man who will instantly get the respect of the players but is prepared to work with what he has to me Zidane did that at Madrid but I think he'd been quite close to that team when he took over as he'd been in the club for years and lets face it he had a crazy talented squad to work with. The other name on my list is Conte but it would only be a short term solution as we saw he eventually ended up in the same position Jose did at Chelsea.

Problem is at this point really it's a case of sack Jose and get someone in to take us to the end of the season even if they just appointed Carrick that might be the best we could get in place.

In terms of this video talk about mountain and molehill they've found a video of them having a chat with no audio after last night it was hardly going be bum slaps and laughs this morning was it.

I mean I don't see Jose going this early but could easily see time being called before Xmas if things don't improve. Regardless I'd be selling Pogba in the summer as well he's not worth the effort.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back