Pau Torres

Mr C

Man Utd are in advanced talks to sign Pau Torres from Villareal prior to the Euro's

Rumour has it.

I expect this thread will still be running in about 3 months as we hear rumours of wages being agreed and Utd still negotiating the fee.

Uh, lads. You’re forgetting that agent fees will suddenly come up and our good ol boys just won’t stand for that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That video asks "would he improve our defence?" - impossible to tell from that evidence. It looks like Villarreal is playing a friendly. Pau had some easy passing and one slide tackle. Are we really looking at him?

That video asks "would he improve our defence?" - impossible to tell from that evidence. It looks like Villarreal is playing a friendly. Pau had some easy passing and one slide tackle. Are we really looking at him?

From the wider reporting he’s on the list of options.

Looks to tick a few boxes he’s quick, good on the ball and left footed which is a bonus

Thoughts on him last night?

Thought the team defended well against us very well drilled but hard to really judge the guy and how he'd fit in with us as he'd be expected to defend much higher up the pitch playing for Utd.

Took a lovely penalty in the shoot out.

I thought he looked good, would prefer the experience of Varane though.

Varane's injuries worry me he's had them throughout his career and as always I just assume he's mugging us off to get a better offer from Madrid.

Torres being a left footer helps as well as all the current CB options are right footed.

His injuries aren't that bad, out of a 38 gane season, last 3 seasons is 32, 32 31. Some of those may be rested/red cards, I dunno. But it's better than most our CB's :D

It seemed like Albiol did more of the "aggressive" defending than Torres. I think we need a beast who will head his nan away if she came too close to our goal.

I thought he looked good last night. Composed and positionally sound. Took his penalty well.

He's taller than Lindelof and Bailly.

I thought he looked good last night. Composed and positionally sound. Took his penalty well.

He's taller than Lindelof and Bailly.
And better looking. To compare any potential candidates against VL and Bailly is scraping the barrel a bit.

I said all along this was the transfer I thought would go through - and without the usual: "give us £5m off and we'll give you six months MUTV free"

I wouldn't say no to Torres, but I think the exerience of Varane, and the presence he would bring is what we need. Torres is another player with potential. I think if we are going for CB, we need a player of Varane status who comes in, starts, and bosses it.

My concern with Varane is are we buying him on the slide if we are convinced by Torres we could have a star in his prime.

Varane for me is a worry as I’d question the reasons he’s swapping Madrid for Manchester.

I'd rather not put more money into a maybe, when what we need is some quality to sort that defense out

In truth I haven't seen a great deal of varane recently but on the fee occasions I have he has looked Dodgy. Personally I wouldn't go with him I don't think.

I like Torres. Reminds me of Rio.

My only reservation would be that he'd be tempted back to Spain after a few seasons with us.

Maybe but if he's done well then as long as we've kept his contract sensible we could demand the big fee in return for him.

To be honest I'd be happy with Torres or Varane but given the choice I think I'd rather see us go for Torres.

The hunger is my big concern with Varane if he's leaving Madrid that has the wiff of a man who's chasing money.

Is Torres the type of CB we need partnering Maguire? I'd prefer Varane's style as he's more of the Vidic than Torres, and I'd like a nasty piece of work back there.

Actual Varane, I'd be wary, but unless we've got a deal in place for a hard ass Serbian, I don't think we can afford to pass on Varane.

Reports are he turned down Tottenham to stay one more season at Villareal as it's his hometown team and he wants to play in the Champions League with them.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back