Partner for Smalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

I think the majority of us would like a new partner for Smalling?

I think the right partner and the return of Shaw will propel Smalling onto the next level, similar to what Vidic and Evra did for Ferdinand.

So, which defender would you like the club to sign in the summer?

Varane has been my choice for a while but just can't see Real letting him go now. Lots talking of Stones. It doesn't have to be someone we've heard of if the scouts do their job properly, they'll find someone who has the characteristics and strengths that we need in a CB to partner Smalling.

I definitely think with a quality and consistent partner alongside him, Smalling can move up another level.

He's been superb this season but at times he does look like he's struggled without that steady partner alongside him!

So... I'll confess... Over the past couple of years my love and interest for the game has really waned. I still watch United but that's about it so I'm struggling to really come up with names. Varane would be great but I don't see that happening. Stones is young and I'm not sure that's the right partner for Smalling? Though his style compliments him. What about Wes Morgan? He's had a great season for Leicester... But I agree if the scouts do their jobs properly then it doesn't have to be a big name.

Stones, for me, is not worth anywhere near the £50m price that Everton want for him. Sure he is a good young defender but he's not in the same league as someone like Rio who definitely commanded the £30m fee we paid for him. The fees that some clubs have been paying for players (including us) is stupid when clubs like Leicester have shown, with a good scouting system can unearth gems. Just look at Mangala for £32m, this was a clear case of City buying him because of the hype, and to be fair he is an absymal defender. Personally, back to the subject, I think we should go for someone like Dragovic at Dynamo Kiev, the guy is steel and wouldn't command an astronomical fee.

I'd have to agree that for the money, Stones just isn't worth it. I guess if he can fulfil his potential then it's a long term investment but he's had a pretty indifferent season. I'm not saying he's no good because that's not the case. He's young so will make mistakes but for a club like ours and where we need to get back to I'm not sure right now he's right for us.

I think people also get carried away as he's young and English and good with the ball. Not many of our defenders tend to be able to build from the back. But let's not forget Luiz is very good on the ball but that doesn't make him a good defender.

I agree, I always hear Stones is so highly rated because he is good on the ball, but I still feel he is a little weak. I would rather we invested in RoShaun Williams in the reserves, sure he is only 17 but if LVG does stay here next season I feel he would rather promote from within than lavish £50m on a defender. He is doing it now, playing Fosu instead of Darmian and Lingard instead of Depay.

Luiz :p, a clear example of a waste of money. Probably the worst, when PSG offered £50m on him, I have got to admit I thought it was a joke.

See I admire your willingness to play the young guys and RoShaun could be a star but you can't go in to the new season on that basis. We need to get experienced players in to help the youngsters and Stones just isn't that player. I know LVG may prefer to play the younger players than spend £50m on a young defender but I'm hoping he's not going to be around to make that decision. And as admirable as that is its still not the recipe for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back