Ozil on a free?

Reports today that we might move for Ozil in Janaury.

I mean he'd give us more attacking options and he is a fine player that I trust Mourinho to get the best out of rather than indulge in the way Wenger does plus assuming we're still in Champions League he'd be free to play for us as I believe players who move from Europa League clubs to Champions League clubs in January are allowed to be registered.

Still feels to me like an agent trying to get Arsenal back to the negotiating table.

If this deal is on the table I'd want to see Utd get it done 1st Janaury don't let it drag out lets have him for the whole month.

I agree with JSP we wanna see the Real Madrid Ozil at Old Trafford. Not this weird lazy love child Wenger has created at Arsenal. I think if Jose can get that Ozil back he'd be a great addition.

Wenger will probably have to sell Ozil if Alexis is gonna walk for free in the summer. No club could let both go for nothing. Plus Ozil hasn't really been playing a lot lately. Maybe his injured or maybe it's a fall out behind the scenes. Either way I get the feeling Ozil wants to leave. But would Wenger sell to us though? Or would we have to pay more then another club to get the deal done?

In terms of who Ozil replaces I'd say Mata. Think he will probably go back to Spain in the summer. He's been one of our best players during the leanest spell of the last few seasons. But I think his probably done at the end of the year. But a great servant no doubt.

He'd replace Mata in that he'd start as the number 10 vs all the weaker sides with Mhiki out wide then in bigger games he'd probably be on the bench depending on the tactics Mourinho was deploying.

He's a better player than Mata but both have the same flaw which is defensively they aren't great, but I don't think Mourinho would feel he has to play him in every game as at Utd. He'd be a big fish amongst a group of big fishes so he'd have to earn his spot.

At Arsenal both him and Sanchez get away with murder. Poor performances aren't punished by the manager.

Weirdly I reckon Ozil suites City better than us and Sanchez suits us better than City.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My only real reservation with him is he's 29 now are we getting him at his best or past his best?

The way he's played in the last year would suggest the latter but he really looks to have fallen out of love with football at Arsenal he still looks a good player when he plays for Germany.

I think he's a much better option as the number 10 than Mhiki or Mata this guy has kind of defined the position in the modern era and with the movement of Lukaku, Rashford, Martial he could make a real difference plus I don't think Mourinho will let him indulge in his bad habits he will know if he's not putting in the work he's getting hooked.

Funny that this story reappears just before we play Arsenal.

Also read he is on his way back to Real and is Barca's no.1 target. The media just make it up as the go along. Clowns!

Also read he is on his way back to Real and is Barca's no.1 target. The media just make it up as the go along. Clowns!

Think it’s his agent trying to drum up interest?

He apparently wants a top club and because he’s free top money but I can’t see Barca offering that their wage bill is already out of control and Madrid only pay top money to their big stars. Does he actually get in their starting XI?

I think he might end up staying at Arsenal I’m not 100% convinced Utd are that interested I know Mourinho rates him as a player but he was often frustrated by him at Madrid and I’d say those bad habits have been indulged at Arsenal and not eradicated.

Is Mourinho referring to Ozil?

Mourinho: "There's players & situations that sometimes you have the chance to do and you shouldn’t lose that chance. If you can buy one a few months before you would buy in June, then great."

Could well be a subtle little hint that he’s interested. If he is to become available for free then I think Jose would want to have a conversation about it. Like jsp I’m not 100% convinced he’ll end up here or if he’ll leave Arsenal but who knows really. If he was going to sign a contract I thought he would have done by now. It’s definitely a case of watch this space.

Reports of Jose wanting Ozil if he do a decent deal rather than wait until June and fight it out with a few other clubs.

My guess is if Utd want him they’ll wait until the summer as I don’t think he can play in CL (not sure on current rules) they’ll make sure his representatives know what sort of offer Utd are prepared to make if he stays put at Arsenal.

Being totally honest IF Utd are interested then I don’t see Ozil getting a better offer anywhere else, there’s always links to turkey mainly due to his heritage but not sure he’d be ready to take that sort of step down.

Would Barca be interested on a free I know he’s ex Madrid but he is a Barca type player but if he went there he’d be a squad player rather than nailed on starter even at Utd not sure he’d be guaranteed a start in every game.

Bayern might be interested but he doesn’t really strike me as a Bayern player.

Wherever he ends up it’s his last big move because he’ll be on massive wages over a 5 year deal.

Few rumours that we're willing to pay up to £30m to get him this month. Hasn't played Europa League so still available for CL if that made a difference anyway, unsure on the ruling there.

Paying £30m would be strange unless we want to put a nail in the Arsenal coffin in terms of challenging us for top 4 but they’re quite a bit back and would Ozil move now knowing that he can basically get a huge chunk of that money added to his wages in 6 months time if he just rides it out at Arsenal.

I could understand if we were maybe within 9 points of City, tool up and see if you can put pressure on them by being almost perfect in the rest of the league season.

30m now I don't think is a bad deal for all concerned, he can still play champ league, if he came in the summer how much of a signing on fee would we have to pay him? I would imagine it would be substantial, paying 20 odd million to have him 6 months early and add a bit of creativity to our robotic attack, personally speaking would like it to happen this month but does that then mean no Griezmann/Dybala in the summer as they all play in the same position.

Rumours Jose being given 80m in January.

I think we are willing to pay because PSG are circling. His assists are very good, 30m is a no brainer, would be a great help to our side I think, especially if he can play in Europe.

Pretty reliable journalist for the Guardian. Like all journalists he could be wrong but I think his sources are historically solid.

If he'd played in the Europa we'd be allowed to register him still. You can register one player from the Europa in the Champions League.

I'd stump up the £30m and take him and see if we can recoup the same for Mhki. The guy is a fantastic footballer and Lukaku will surely score goals for fun with him around.

Checked on Wiki and basically clubs can register one player in January who's already played in Europe for the knockout rounds providing that he hasn't played in the competition that you are going to compete in. So you can move up to champions league or down to europa league as long as the club you leave haven't also dropped down to Europa League.

So basically Ozil & Sanchez can play in the Champions League if they move in January provided they don't both move to the same club and the club they move to chose to use up their 1 spot.

I thought this was the rule but I heard somewhere else that this wasn't the case.

Even if Mhiki was sold we still have Lingard, Mata & Zlatan as number 10's so I'd still say hold on until the summer and save some money for the summer. While Ozil can play from the right in a front 3 he doesn't really solve that particular problem for us either so I'd just sit tight and agree to take him on a free in the summer.

Problem with waiting until the summer is that he will have 5 or 6 sides after him and it becomes a lottery, who offers the bigger sign on fee, the most wages etc., for me it depends on Jose plans in the summer, if he is wanting Griezmann or Dybala then as one of the lads said the other day, it might be a case of us paying 100m for Dybala and Juve being Juve them snipping in and picking up Ozil for free.

If Jose is serious about one of them two for the long term no 10 position then I would hold off but if neither of them two are realistically obtainable then paying 30m for Ozil this morning would be seriously good business.

I think we're reaching an situation now where we probably need both as we need options not just from the start but from the bench City are regularly bring guys like Bernardo Silva or Jesus off the bench or rotating their starting XI to keep guys fresh.

I know what you're saying but Utd will know the lay of the land in terms of Ozil and other clubs and they might have to trust the relationship to say to him look we want you but we're going to do the deal in the summer and give you an extra £10m on the signing bonus & £5m to your agent for waiting 6 months. I'm saying agree the deal now but don't actually do it in the summer if he turns his back on it and goes elsewhere in the summer then screw him he clearly wasn't the person we thought he was.

I mean if we replace Mata & Mhiki with Ozil & Dybala/Griezmann I think that's great business.

There is a wider issue with Ozil that he's clearly not a go to guy in big games as his record for both Arsenal & Madrid show and it's the big games where we are struggling especially away from home. In a team that dominates possession Ozil is a world class player in a side where you don't have the ball all the time he can be a liability as he's just not switched on defensively enough so I wouldn't have him as a nailed on starter in every game I still think he'll turn to a guy like Lingard in the bigger matches because he knows he'll get more defensively from him.

Yeah I agree with all that mate, he does tend to go missing and be good to have two top class 10s to pick from, have to wait and see I guess.

So now we've got Sanchez in the bag and to me the capture of Ozil in the summer on a free would further add absolute class to our squad. I'm not too sure on the dealings of a free transfer, my understanding is can tie down a contract with a club from abroad from Jan but not in the UK until June?

What do we think the chances of him coming to us are? I know he rates Mourinho highly from their time in Madrid.

Yeah they seem pretty confident that he will end up staying with Sanchez gone it probably makes life a bit easier for them in terms of negotiation they can make him the number 1 guy and say here's £300k a week and we're committed to building a team around you and we want you to lead this team for the next 4 years. I think he likes it at Arsenal and the offers for him to go elsewhere don't seem to exist the top clubs aren't going to pay him what Arsenal will and give him the freedom he has at Arsenal so if he wanted to leave to chase trophies he'd have to sacrifice a lot of money.

@Red Warrior Yeah this is the case a PL player cannot negotiation/sign pre-contract agreemeents with other PL clubs but they are free to negotiate/sign with non PL clubs when they enter the last 6 months of their deals. As far as I know this rule is unique to PL it's why Goretzka can sign for Bayern. Obviously discussions can be had behind closed doors and gentlemens agreements can be made but there can't be any contracts so players are risking a lot by going down that road because if you did your cruciates suddenly that deal would be off the table.

I think it's something that the league may look into reviewing as it's potentially weakening the bargaining position of the other PL clubs but the players could challenge it as they're resticted from negotiating with potential employers which may not give them full freedom of movement.

All depends on where he see's Sanchez playing long term, if he is going to play as a second striker then he will probably go for a top class right winger this summer, but if he plays him out on the right, then Ozil or maybe Dybala will be the targets.

Interesting to see where he plays over the next few weeks.

To get the best out of him, he's got to play left really.

Rashford or Martial on the right?

But I guess for now, considering Martials form, he'll play him on the right, but I don't see that long term.

Be amazed if he plays left, a bit pointless if he has bought to improve one of our strongest parts of the pitch haha

I can see him maybe playing as a second striker going forward, major winger in the summer and have Sanchez playing off Luaku

I see that, but do you spend all that money and not play them in their preferred/best position? I think he'll start right, and when we get someone in there he'll go left. Saying that, Jose must think the left is a problem with all the Perisic and Bale links.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back