Olympics 2020 Tokyo

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Anyone excited about this?

Just haven't really got a buzz about it yet.

Not at all.

Talks yesterday that it may get cancelled.

Who's even covering it had a look on the TV earlier and it didn't seem like BBC had anything on it?

If ever there was a good reason to ditch all the team sports that don't belong at the Olympics this was it for the athletes I do think the show has to go on they've trained for years for this.

Kind of answered my own question it technically hasn't even started yet.

I think the opening ceremony is tonight. It’s such a shame for everyone who has dedicated their whole life for that potential one moment.

I will be watching but the circumstances are obviously not ideal.

Opening ceremony is tomorrow night.

Some of the team events like the football started early as they need a bit more time to get the group games in as the whole thing only lasts just over 2 weeks.

Opening ceremony is tomorrow night.

Some of the team events like the football started early as they need a bit more time to get the group games in as the whole thing only lasts just over 2 weeks.

Ah okay thanks

We have a team GB in the women's football.

Play Vs Japan @ 11:30

Great for Tom Daly to finally get a gold he's had so much hype around him for so long.

Anyone watch the Skateboarding? Such a mad sport to be throwing into the Olympics.

I don't really follow a lot of the sports but I assume we're expected to win loads of medals in the track cycling once that starts up or have we lost our advantage in that sport?

Peaty is an insane talent. Unbeaten in 7 years in the breaststroke

Few medals starting to come in but dissappointment in the rowing yesterday for the 4 man mens team losing that race for the first time in 20 years.

Caught a bit of 3vs3 basketball bit of an odd sport to include what next 5 a side football? Bit of an upset in the mens final though with the American team losing to Latvia.

I guess the big story is the story about Simone Biles withdrawal. Still shocks me the reaction some men especially older men have to it probably not aware of the full story about how her old coach molested her and her former team mates and is currently serving 175 years in prison for it.

Years ago her withdrawal would have been covered up by an injury or illness but she did a very brave thing as the superstar taking herself out of the team so that they could actually compete for a medal. Had she kept going and making the mistakes she'd been making there's a good chance the team would finish outside the top 3 and she risked seriously injuring herself if she couldn't fully focus on what she was attempting to do.

I don't think he attacks women. I think he thinks all this mental health business is garbage woke nonsense.

I haven't read what he said, I don't care what he said he's an idiot. So I'm speculating. But I don't think he's a sexist, just a dinosaur

As someone on twitter pointed out he's taken digs at Biles, Osaka and that young British tennis player but hasn't had anything to say about Tyson Fury and his battles with mental health. So I think he does attack women. He's even been or may still be an ambassador for a mental health charity as well which makes things even worse as he clearly doesn't see mental health as a problem for these athletes.

That guy is the absolute worst of the worst he knows exactly what he's doing. Lighting fires to get a reaction and attention all those years in the tabloids he knows which notes to hit to get the reaction and attention he craves now that he's lost his job on ITV he needs to say something controversial to get people to pay attention to him.

His whole attitude towards these elite athletes suggests to me he was the kid picked last at school when it came to sports and he's been bitter about it ever since.

He's also massively missed the point when she "quit" the damage was already done the gold medal had gone for her team and she felt if she kept going on she'd risk them losing the silver or even bronze so as captain she stepped down and allowed the replacement in.

I don't think he's having a go at women or mental health in general, I guess his problem with Biles is why start to compete, she must have known. Same as Osaka, she knows the press is a big part of the tour, it generates huge sponsorship money, so why leave it until he tournament had started. I think he completely misread Radacanu situation. I think the pressure did get to her, but no surprise considering the situation.

He would never know how these women feel, that's the problem, he's not an elite athlete, he has no idea of the pressures from the teams and sponsors, this level is beyond just playing a sport you love, and he can't seem to grasp that. Which is probably what dawned on Radacanu during her long wait for that match, with ridiculous press coverage building her up. She is defo going to a win a major though, I thought her tennis was superb in the first week

I assume Fury has never pulled out of a fight at the last minute.

I don't know, I don't care, everything he says is sh!te. But I would never label him as a misogonist like has been said on here. I think he's just a stupid old fool who's general line of thinking belongs to the era when he was the Editor of the Mirror or whatever crap paper it was.

There's huge pressure no these girls to go out and perform there's probably millions on the line for them in terms of earnings and also the expectation of a nation to go out and perform so they try and quickly realise they're struggling. Biles for example stumbled through the qualifying in her events she's basically expected to Usain Bolt the whole field and win by an absolute mile but it was clear from day one something way wrong. If it wasn't for her reputation she might not have even taken part.

This is pure speculation but I always wondered if Ronaldo back in 1998 had some sort of mental health issue on the morning of the final rather than a physical one that was reported. As I said 20 years ago these things were covered up as injury and they still are to an extent. There's certainly suggestions that Phil Jones might be going through something mental health related at the moment and that's why we haven't seen him in a Utd shirt for nearly 18 months.

Morgan's attitude towards mental health is that of someone who sees it as a weakness that makes you soft if she'd landed badly and snapped her leg no one would be criticising her for having a physical illness. Sadly it's a very male approach to this issue that possibly explains why so many men suffer mental health breakdowns and many turn to booze, drugs or suicide as they keep things bottled up inside of them to look tough.

The thing that annoys me with Morgan is everyone's natural response to seeing that should be wow she must really be struggling if she's giving up mid even in the olympics not to go on the attack and try to make her feel even worse about this situation. There is absolutely no reason to attack her over this decision but he chooses to because he knows he can make some money out of doing it which makes him a scumbag.

My point is he attacks these girls over their mental health as if it's some kind of weakness but he won't say something like that about Fury because lets be honest he's afraid to do it. Fury spent years out of the ring during his prime because of his mental health issues.

I assume Fury has never pulled out of a fight at the last minute.

Pretty much doing it at the moment with the excuse of Covid but he's been seen out partying.

Did it to David Haye.

Did it to Klitschko in the rematch.

The thing that annoys me with Morgan
everything :)

I don't know if Fury pulled out fights last minute, I don't relly pay much attention. But from a non fan* It looked to me like he wasn't fit for the Joshua fight he recently pulled out of, he knew it wasn't going to happen because of contractal agreements but announced to be the big man. He seems to be struggling with the booze again which might be the reason for his "covid" but you would think he'd have to prove that?

* I used to be a fan in the days of Tyson, Benn, Eubank, Collins, even Hatton. Even as far back as McGuigan. But there was a real lane spell of boxing that I lost interest in the sport. Lewis, Harrison, Haye. I jsut it found it all so boring, and it went to PPV.

As for Morgan, and us, as I said earlier, we'll never understand the pressure of these elite sports people. And we should just give them a break. It's their life, and Biles has had a very tough one. I just don't peg Morgan as a misogonist is all I'm saying, just a nob. But maybe he is.

Ronaldo, he looked pretty drugged up in that final to me.

Fury didn't pull out of the Joshua fight the courts a rematch with Wilder so his hands were tied and to be fair to the Fury camp they made it known when the Joshua announcement was made that there were still on going legal issues that could put the fight at risk.

Fury has often said when he's not training for fights is when he has his biggest problems as boredom for him leads to drink which in the past has then led to drugs.

Morgan feeds on controversy that's where he's made his living he's happy to take a side in an argument whether he believes in it or not and fight that corner to be part of the conversation around it. He's happy to be the bad guy and be disliked.

I was talking about Wilder not AJ when mentioning Fury. They were supposed to fight last weekend.

It isn't just the sport stars that Morgan has gone after. Look how he wouldn't stop with Meghan Markle. There 4 have a bit in common. Young, BAME females that have stated they're struggling with their mental health.

Up to 6th in the medal table now for GB 18 in total including 5 golds.

The athletics also starts today seems crazy that a week in we haven't actually had any track and field events yet.

6 more medals overnight including another gold in the BMX.

Great story the girl who won the gold relied on crowdfunding to get her to Japan.

Team GB are out of the women's football after an outrageous game.

4-3 after ET. Australia made it 2-2 in the 89th to take it to extra time. We missed a penalty at 2-2.

Some dominance from the Jamaicans in the women's 100m's

Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Yeah love that they clearly hate the girl that won as well.

One of our big name stars Dina Asher-Smith has had to pull out injured which is a shame.

Sounds like a gymnast injury similar. I'd guess similar to a golfer getting the hicks or a darter getting dartitus. But a lot more dangerous.

Yeah if you’ve lost your confidence to attempt these very dangerous moves what can you do?

Djokovic pulled out of the mixed doubles after losing in the singles losing his partner a medal opportunity.

Great to see Max Whitlock get another gold absolutely blasted the field all the pressure going first and he totally blasted the field away.

Strange moment in the men’s high jump where 2 athletes matched each other’s jump and were asked if they wished to continue or share the gold medal. They decided to share the medal which doesn’t sit well with me surely you keep going until 1 person wins?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is my favourite moment so far. Just sheer happiness.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back