Ole Gunnar Solskjær confirmed as interim manager

I think it’d be quite easy. You double his wages and promise him some signings. He’s just had a summer of no transfer activity and he knows he isn’t going to challenge Liverpool and City with Tottenham they’re never going to back him financially. If he wants to win the premier league he needs to leave.

A double your money deal and a chance to put Utd back on top is a chance few managers would turn down.

Depends where you're coming from, top 3 club on the way up, top 6 club on the way down.

I'm sure they can convince him, but I don't think it's easy as being made out. And it will cost a bomb. Probably 100m with wages, that is a risk.

Anyway, did you see the Spurs press officer today hahaha, better get used to it mate. Or get your manager to say he has no interest.

£100m? How on earths it gonna cost that much?

It’s £34m to buy him out of his contract today. Less in another 6 months

Talk is Levey will want 48m

God knows how much a manager earns I guessed 10m/year over 5 years.

Doesn't really matter what the exact figures are, it's still going to be a lot.

edit

from the Telegraph, I have read somehwhere the extra could take it up to 48m. All specualtion mind, but nothing else to base it on.

By the end of this season, the remaining four years of Pochettino’s contract would be worth £34 million and Levy could demand a transfer fee on top of that if he so wishes.

I’m sure you just buy managers out of their contract. Compensation is due if trying to get them for less than the remaining contract is worth

Maybe Poch is just keeping his mouth shut so he can extract some transfer funds out of Levy?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Downloaded the app and watched the whole interview. Brilliant, really positive. I loved the answer about how much he knows about the opposition.

“I’ve seen the teams, I watch the Premier League. It’s about us though, not the opposition.
“We want to see the players express themselves. Our main focus is us, the opposition comes later.”

Yeah really positive interview, seems like he’s going to bring a fun feeling back to the club. Just his interview was positive and upbeat, it’s a far cry from every Mourinho interview this season. And well he’s such a likeable guy and obviously he’s an absolute club legend.

I am feeling positive myself for the rest of the season, I don’t suddenly think we are gonna be world beaters but just an improvement in the style of football would be a start.

An improvement in the pre and post match interviews will be a start

So is anyone else a little concerned about the apparent reports that Ole could get the job long term? I mean i feel even if we do well for the rest of the year it's based on feel good factor more than anything else and that's unsustainable long term.

I think 6 months is a litle too long for a feel good factor. I think you'll have a good idea of whether he is capable ot not. Pep did it at Barca.

Personally I hope he does it, save us a few quid on getting Poch.

Solksjaer's United has 25 points compared to Mourinho's 26 in 8 fewer matches.

That's an insane turnaround isn't it! And I'm not having this "he's been fortunate with the games we have played" nonsense. Results under Jose were bad. Performances under Jose were worse. The turnaround has been like night and day.

The Sun reporting today the decision has been made and it will be Ole.

He's saying all the right things and I can see the logic to wanting to keep him and his group together because they seem to be able to get the best out of the group but my worry is if they appoint Ole will this be the chance for the board to be cheap this summer and not invest in the squad because Ole won't rock the boat.

For me if he gets the job he needs to insist on investment and show he can be ruthless to those who are not good enough to win titles this squad can be top 3 no doubt but it can't win the title and that is what the club should be demanding to do that we all know money has to be spent and spent well.

We only need to invest in a CB and a RB for me, it's not a huge investment.

I might look to get rid of Lukaku and replace him with a forward more suited. And maybe a right sided player, but I don't think Lingard deserves to be dropped and it probably would be him to lode his place. I think it's about time we tried Sanchez out there.

Surely we'll get rid of two CB's, that would bring in some money. I think if they appoint Ole it's not becasue it's the easy option, it's becasue he would have earnt it.

I would be more keen in tyng down some players, Herrera, De Gea and offer Pogba a new deal too.

A CB & RB of starting quality is £100-125m easy in the current market for me this needs solving first even with Dalot in I think the club has to go and get a first team ready right back for next season as Dalot isn't going to be that.

We need another central midfield player unless we really believe Fred is going to be good enough that's £50m. Even if Fred proves himself I think we can do better than Matic.

I still think there's questions at LB probably more of a back up quality signing than a starter say £25m

Right sided attacker of proper quality £70m Lingard is doing alright but not 100% convinced he's good enough to start in a side that wants titles and I think Mata should be allowed to go. I do think they'll try to sign him possibly to a 2 year deal then sell next January like they did with Fellaini but I reckon Mata might be a bit wise to that and just walk away. The fact he's still getting games suggests they want him to stay whereas Valencia who's in a similar position has been totally frozen out.

Now some players may emerge from academy that solve these positions Chong, Gomes and Greenwood seem to be the current hopes but it will be a huge ask for them to be first team ready players next season really you're hoping 1 can push themselves into a squad player role. We will sell some players to raise some cash but we don't really have players who we can sell for big money who will attract big offers.

Lukaku for example would be of huge value to clubs like West Ham or Everton but will he want to take that step back down? In Europe the only clubs who might pay big for him would be someone like Inter if they sold Icardi to someone like Madrid/PSG.

If Ole is to remain at the wheel for next season you'd have more hope that they'll get it right in terms of selection as between him, Carrick and Phelan they know what it takes to be a Utd player.

i'm suprised you still think that of Lingard, he's been fantastic.

the abount of work he puts in to get other players into space is brilliant. He's a defo starter for me.

Yes RB and CB I mentioned. I think we must have teh funds for that.

And I would leave it there in the summer, you don't want to go making loads of changes. CM I would do the following summer. I fear if you bring in loads of players it could upset the team spirit. Next season make a push for the title with the hope for winning the next year.

If we can ship players out, Fred and Lukaku I would replace if we sold them first. I would also sell Rojo and probaly Jones or Bailly to make room for another CB.

LB I think we can cover.

I like Lingard but I'm still not convinced he's a 20-25 season attacker which is what you need your starters to be now if you want to win leagues I'd happily keep him in the squad but you compare him to say Sterling or Mane I'm not sure he's in that class and at 26 this is as good as he's going to get.

Cover at LB is Young but my worry is like Valencia the warning signs are there that he's going off the edge of the cliff in terms of his use as a first team player. If we get a first choice RB then I'd happily have Young as the backup LB next season. I still think the jury is out a bit on Shaw I think he's played well recently but I don't see an elite level left back there.

Yeah I thought Young for LB cover, and Dalot could step in if need be. And if we can't get rid, Rojo.

I can't see Ole wanting to make loads of changes. Bit by bit I think. A new manager, it's a new rebuild really.

As for Lingard, he might not get the goals, but his work rate and the spaces he makes are great, I'd take him over Sterling and probably Mane. I read a thing about what he does, with videos of what that does to help Pogba and Rashford and Martial get the space they need. It was really opened my eyes up. Along with his defensive work. He basically does not stop running all match.

Yeah I thought Young for LB cover, and Dalot could step in if need be. And if we can't get rid, Rojo.

I can't see Ole wanting to make loads of changes. Bit by bit I think. A new manager, it's a new rebuild really.

As for Lingard, he might not get the goals, but his work rate and the spaces he makes are great, I'd take him over Sterling and probably Mane. I read a thing about what he does, with videos of what that does to help Pogba and Rashford and Martial get the space they need. It was really opened my eyes up. Along with his defensive work. He basically does not stop running all match.

Im not a huge fan of Lingard I'll be totally honest, but you do have to appreciate all the off the ball running he does and the fact he puts a shift in every time he plays.

But like others have said, you need more than that if your contesting for league titles.

Rojo should never play left back for the club again I'd rather see one of the kids in ahead of them he's a shocking left back.

I don't think we can afford another rebuild he needs to salvage what he can from this lot and make quick ruthless decisions we can't have another manager who doesn't cut out the crap in the squad if we want to catch up.

I see everything that Lingard does and he is very good at it and I think in the bigger games where things are more open he is fantastic but where he struggles is the more normal games where a team is camped in providing that cutting edge that a Mane or Sterling can. I see Lingard as the Park figure in the squad what we need is a guy like Mane who will just rip a weaker side apart because they can't handle him my point was more I don't see Lingard as a nailed on starter every week if we want to get back on top.

11 wins in 13 for Ole now.
10 in 24 for Mourinho this season.

How fickle is football though, a few months ago Jose was being compared to Sarri, and how Sarri had come in and all was wondeful. Mow look.

I think he should get the job whatever happens now. He has shown he has the tactical know how, and the players and fans want him. Even the MoTD team are nice about him!

Phelan is important too though, we need them both.

Everyone says he needs to beat Liverpool. We are way behind them at the moment, I have every faith we will win, but if we don't it wont be a reflection on Ole. He's been there 4 months, Klopp has been there 3 years or so.

It’s at home against our biggest rivals who are gunning for the league.

Had a horrible thought though. Come May we could be in a position where City are on for the quad or Liverpool on to win the league.

He doesn't need to beat Liverpool to get the job you don't hire and fire off one game.

What he needs to do is keep the momentum going and show that the team can recover from set backs and they've reacted brilliantly to setbacks vs Burnley and PSG. Behind the scenes he'll also need to show his ruthless side and show he knows how to fix the squad quality problems.

Still think it's to early for him to be appointed always felt March was the point where the decision needs to be made but everything currently looks on course.

I always said Ole should be judged on more than just results, there's a bigger picture. He and his assistants are passing the test off the pitch too though, that family feel is back.

The main reason Ole and co should get the job is that they have a handle on the squad... what is needed to improve, who isn't needed. A new manager will most likely give everyone a "clean slate" and a "pre season to improve themselves". If a Director of Football was to come in, it looks unlikely to happen before the end of the season, he'd need time to assess things too. Ole knows what he wants and who he doesn't, work can begin on preparing for next season now rather than in pre-season. For the first time in 6 years we have someone who has a plan, a style and knows his best 11 (something he's done in 2-3 months, other 3 didn't manage it at all). On top of all that, the players want them to stay on.

I personally think he's got it in the bag but it won't be announced until the end of the season and it doesn't need to be. Important that we do improve the structure of the football club aswell though. We lost a transfer window last summer due to political infighting, we risk misusing another if we change the manager again in my opinion especially as the transfer window closes early again, there is not enough time for a new manager to come in, assess the squad and then for Woodward to sell the unwanted and bring in replacements. Give Ole the job, get someone in above Ole and below Woodward to oversee the football operations. If Ole doesn't work out after that then at least we're in a position where a Director of Football is in place to ensure the next manager fits the profile of the job and that signings also fit the philosophy too.

Pogba smirked when asked about it on Monday night, either he has the job already or he was thinking back to Jose.

For me it's a no brainer, the current set up should remain and plan for next season. It's like a dream come true for me to have Ole there. Every time the job came up I put his name forward.
You can't do better than having a ex player in my opinion, as long as they can coach that is.

It’s irrelvant really what Ole does between now and the end of the season for me. Sure you can say let’s see until the end of March or the end of May but I think he has already shown enough to suggest he’s the man.

Obviously he’s brought a freedom to the side but tactically he’s been very astute in the big games and he’s been able to bounce back from a setback. Also defensively we have been much better, against Chelsea it was our best compact and defensive game for quite some time. I think the effect of Phelan cannot be underestimated either. If Ole stays then we have to do all we can to keep the whole coaching team together as well.

I don’t think we should announce it until the end of the season but it should happen.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back