Odion Ighalo | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester United - 17th February 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was a tough chance as he has just come on but it should have been snapped up. Would have been a dream start!

Looked like someone who hadn’t played in 2 months maybe carrying a few extra pounds still not really a surprise that it might take him a few games to get up to speed.

Early goal would have been a huge boost to his confidence but it wasn’t a howler but I think as a striker he’ll be kicking himself for not taking it.

Europa League: Manchester United 5-0 Club Brugge - 27th February 2020

Glad he got a goal at old Trafford would have meant the world to him and his family.

With Martial suffering a knock he might get the chance to play himself into the team.

FA Cup: Derby County 0-3 Manchester United - 5th March 2020

It’s refreshing to see a real target man up there, someone who will always be in the box and is willing to put his head where it hurts. I had my reservations about him but I have been impressed so far - he still lacks real match sharpness but can’t argue with his goal return so far.

he's not a great player, but he certainly scores the goals others in our team can't. He's what we've been after

Doing exactly the job we needed giving the starters a rest and chipping in with a few goals.

2 nice finishes had another chance early on but didn't manage to beat the keeper.

It’s refreshing to see a real target man up there, someone who will always be in the box and is willing to put his head where it hurts. I had my reservations about him but I have been impressed so far - he still lacks real match sharpness but can’t argue with his goal return so far.
Appreciate your enthusiasm, but if you could provide an example of where he stuck his head in where it hurts it would be appreciated?

Appreciate your enthusiasm, but if you could provide an example of where he stuck his head in where it hurts it would be appreciated?
Well I was speaking more generally as he is that target man we have been lacking. Putting your head where it hurts can be defined a number of ways - holding the ball up and backing into the defender where you might get your head knocked. Getting in the box in areas where you can head the ball. Don’t look too much into it.

Well I was speaking more generally as he is that target man we have been lacking. Putting your head where it hurts can be defined a number of ways - holding the ball up and backing into the defender where you might get your head knocked. Getting in the box in areas where you can head the ball. Don’t look too much into it.
He is far from an Andy Gray was my point and is not noted for headed goals so I don't have much expectancy of him in this area

Europa League: LASK 0-5 Manchester United - 12th March 2020

The man can't stop scoring! Been very impressed so far. Even if these goals are against 'lesser' teams, it's always useful to have a striker that can find the back of the net!

vids down :-(

whenever I see him, he is away from the huddle or on his own. For the fans who watch a bit more or go the games, how is he settling, does he seem part of the squad or is he distant?

Great goal doing the job we needed him to do a budget version of Lukaku who can come in and score goals vs the weaker side and offer something different.

Lukaku wouldn’t have scored a goal like Ighalo last night, his first touch would have probably knocked it out for a goal kick.

Lukaku for all his faults was still a pretty lethal scorer put him in vs a team like that and he'd probably bang in a hat trick.

I liked Lukaku up until the last few months thought he had a bit of a rough ride at times but he just isn't an absolute elite level striker and probably never will be so Utd were right to move him on and look for someone who will be.

Oh don’t get my wrong he was lethal at times but his first touch just infuriated me but Ighalo looks like he’s got some pretty assured hold up play.

Oh don’t get my wrong he was lethal at times but his first touch just infuriated me but Ighalo looks like he’s got some pretty assured hold up play.

I'd say Ighalo has the better touch and hold up game but Lukaku is a much more clinical finisher so it's swings and roundabouts really.

That was the most infuriating thing about Lukaku at the end of that first season then at the world cup his game was really coming together and he was looking like he was stepping up a level but after that World Cup he came back in terrible shape and his game fell apart.

Jose gave him a lot of rope but even he gave up on him and benched him before he got the sack as he'd totally lost patience.

The stories about him "bulking up" for the world cup were madness the last thing Lukaku has needed to do since he was 16 is bulk up he came back from that world cup looking like a heavyweight boxer.

no proof Ighalo isn't as lethal as Lukaku yet.

He's probably not even match fot yet.

I know this, I'd rather Ighalo at the club than Lukaku

no proof Ighalo isn't as lethal as Lukaku yet.

He's probably not even match fot yet.

I know this, I'd rather Ighalo at the club than Lukaku

Only a 10 year career across various clubs in Europe to judge him by?

Lukaku is one of the top 10 number 9's in world football that's why we could get 70m when we decided to sell him Ighalo is a bit of a journeyman who's providing to be a useful stop gap.

I think the thing that killed Lukaku at Utd was his bad start to the second season once the fans turned on him he lost all confidence and had to go. I have no regrets over letting him go but Ighalo isn't a proper replacement but he's doing the job we need him to do.

While I don't think Ighalo is anyway the answer, I think he is a good 'back up' striker to field against the lesser teams. However, I don't think he's the man to get us competing at the top of world football again either.

Whilst I do rate Lukaku, I don't think he is good enough either. I agree with JSP and think he will probably never be an elite striker. His finishing whilst very good at times, is also horrendous at others. It was completely agonising watching him at times. To be an elite striker you cannot be this inconsistent with your finishing. If you look at strikers we've had in the past like Rooney, van Nistlerooy and van Persie just to name a few, i don' recall them ever missing goal scoring chances at the rate Lukaku does.

With a lot of the best strikers in world football near the end of their careers, I'm not sure who is the answer. Personally I can't decide if there's not as many good strikers in world football as there was in 2000-2010 era, or if I'm just being too nostalgic? It's a debate I've been having with myself for the past few years now. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Only a 10 year career across various clubs in Europe to judge him by?

Lukaku is one of the top 10 number 9's in world football that's why we could get 70m when we decided to sell him Ighalo is a bit of a journeyman who's providing to be a useful stop gap.

I think the thing that killed Lukaku at Utd was his bad start to the second season once the fans turned on him he lost all confidence and had to go. I have no regrets over letting him go but Ighalo isn't a proper replacement but he's doing the job we need him to do.
I think it was the game against Wolves at OT when he tried to trap the ball and it burst, panning in all the windows of Manchester Cathedral.

Ighalo's Chinese club have offered him a 2 year contract extension worth 400k a week
Must be a reasonable guess that if we were considering offering him a permanent deal we would not be able find the right commercial deal

Ighalo's Chinese club have offered him a 2 year contract extension worth 400k a week
Must be a reasonable guess that if we were considering offering him a permanent deal we would not be able find the right commercial deal

That is an absolutely outrageous amount of money for a player of Ighalo's quality. I've never been one to moan about the amount of money players earn, but that's got me thinking differently.

It also can't be true. Wern't the chinese club banned from offering this contracts out by the Government and there'd be 100% tax on them after a renewel?

Was reported by Sky Sports, i'm not sure on the situation with the Chinese clubs their government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back