No new left back

I think trouble is we have a few holes and I think Jose doesn't necessarily want to bring in so much change. RB has kind of been addressed but not in the immediate future.

We need a CB, we've added a CM and we need a RW. I think at this point that's enough change and with Young having performed so well and Shaw still fairly young we have options already in the building.

LB is a need but of the positions of need it's probably the least important.

United need someone who will naturally provide width if the left sided forward is going to drift into central areas. A left footed left back should be a priority.

100% with you on that @Sideshow Bob the pitch gets so narrow when we attack because we don't have a left back who goes outside.

Ashley Young did a fine job stepping in last season but this has been going on to long he either puts some faith in Shaw and gives him a proper run of games to prove himself once and for all or he signs someone who can be the left back.

I don't think Jose has quite given up on Shaw yet.

I think he gave up on him the moment he arrived he clearly didn't like the fact that he turned him down at Chelsea and Shaw hasn't done anything to change that opinion of him in the eyes of the manager.

If anything I think it's the club who aren't prepared to give up on him and it's probably the same with Martial they were signed as long term projects and while they don't fit this managers plans there's nothing to say they won't fit the next ones.

Shaw I think just needs a fresh start feels a bit like the Zaha situation made the move to young and hasn't handled the pressure and expectation change in manager/injuries have been a factor but it does seem like nothing is ever good enough for Mourinho when it comes to Shaw. He'd rather play a 33 year old converted winger he was prepared to sell last season at left back than Shaw.

I don't know why you keep saying that. Of course he wouldn't dislike him because he didn't sign for him. There are probably loads of players who choose different clubs for different reasons. He's an adult not a child. So that's not clear at all.

What is clear is Shaw isn't the sharpest knife, needs a lot of pushing and attention. Jose obviously can see talent there, as he wanted him at Chelsea and he does give him a go. Shaw just needs to get his head right.

I don't know why you keep saying that. Of course he wouldn't dislike him because he didn't sign for him. There are probably loads of players who choose different clubs for different reasons. He's an adult not a child. So that's not clear at all.

What is clear is Shaw isn't the sharpest knife, needs a lot of pushing and attention. Jose obviously can see talent there, as he wanted him at Chelsea and he does give him a go. Shaw just needs to get his head right.

Mourinho doesn't always act like an adult though does he, he's a man who's prepared to hold a grudge against a player or a manager or even a club (Barcelona).

Mourinho was publically critical of Shaw when that deal happened said he'd gone for the money and Shaw's agent responded saying the reason he didn't join Chelsea was they didn't like Mourinho who they met with him to discuss the move. Shaw was a boyhood Chelsea fan who turned them down to move 200 miles north to join a Utd team that had just finished 7th and I doubt the salary offer from Chelsea was much different to what Utd offered. I know it's reading between the lines a bit but clearly something wasn't quite right.

Shaw is not blameless in all of this but to me it feels like him and Martial are in the same boat they need a different type of management to get the best out of them and if Mourinho is here for the long term it's best that they get out of the club and try and find a manager who's maybe going to give them a bit more attention than they get from Mourinho.

Martial and Pogba are too up their own arses, they won't take management or criticism. It's the modern footballer. And to be honest, living in France for 8 years, it's a bit typical of their attitude.

Shaw just hasn't done enough in he games he's ben given, maybe he doesn't want to play for Jose, who knows. But it sounds like he wants to stay and fight for his place so good luck to hm.

Pogba had no problem with Conte or Allegri at Juventus and he's had very little trouble with Deschamp in the national team either.

The issue I think with both of them is that Mourinho has been asking them to be players they don't want to be and then when they struggle with the new role he's not always defended them in public which is probably what they need at times. I just think his particular dose of tough love doesn't really work on the modern footballer you can tell there's not many players these days who are gushing in praise for Mourinho for turning them into better players.

For me the issue with Shaw is when he's been given chances and he's performed ok he's been frozen out again it seemed like at one point him and Young were rotating from game to game and neither were playing particularly poorly or well just solid 6/7 out of 10 games then suddenly Shaw was gone for a month.

Pep is just as bad and just as demanding, all managers are.

I saw a thing on Brian Clough the other night. Reminds me a bit of Jose.

We can't keep saying oh it's the manager, the modern player is different etc. The manager is the boss, you get paid to do as he tells you. You don't throw your rattle out of the pram. There are also plenty of players who have played for Jose who would play for him again, Matic and Willian to name two, there are a few Madrid players who would too. It's basically the players who think they are something special and should be top dog who have a problem. Pogba, Ramos etc. Although I don't think Pogba's problem is Jose, he just has a lazy attitude.

For me Shaw can still be the answer. He's still young and he's got so much potential. He just needs an arm around him and I think he would be absolutely fine. Of course Jose isn't that kind of manager so that is unlikely to happen. But I do think he's the kind of player we'd sell and as fans we'd watch and regret as I think he'd flourish elsewhere.

I think Jose will give him a chance. If he needed an arm I think Jose would do that, but seeing as two other managers have called him out in public I think he is more of a player who needs a kick.

I hope he gets a chance and takes it, he could be great.

Pep is just as bad and just as demanding, all managers are.

I saw a thing on Brian Clough the other night. Reminds me a bit of Jose.

We can't keep saying oh it's the manager, the modern player is different etc. The manager is the boss, you get paid to do as he tells you. You don't throw your rattle out of the pram. There are also plenty of players who have played for Jose who would play for him again, Matic and Willian to name two, there are a few Madrid players who would too. It's basically the players who think they are something special and should be top dog who have a problem. Pogba, Ramos etc. Although I don't think Pogba's problem is Jose, he just has a lazy attitude.

It's all about the way you do it though Pep/Klopp/Poch are all very intense but young players seem much more prepared to go with their ideas and coaching than they do with Mourinho. The players Pep seems to fall out with are the ones who are used to doing what they want and don't like being told what to do in forensic detail Zlatan, Robben & Ribery are the main ones who spring to mind.

Mourinho clearly has a certain personality profile that he wants to work with some guys fit that profile and love working with him and other don't fit that profile and can't stand him. Mourinho fell out with a lot of players at Chelsea & Madrid by the end the rumour were only 2 or 3 players were talking to him things got that bad part of your job is managing people and getting the best out of them and not everyone is the same. It wasn't a secret in the 90's that there was one rule for Cantona and another for everyone else, Rooney even said he used to get ripped apart by the manager sometimes because he knew he could take it whereas Nani or Ronaldo needed something different. As a manager you can't have a one size fits all policy some people need the kick up the backside others need the arm around the shoulder.

Taking it back on topic if Mourinho can't see that we need a new left back then you've seriously got to question his judgment in the transfer market.

It would be beyond ridiculous to not sign a left back. Murmurs coming out that Shaw still has a future here but how can that be the case? Jose has no faith in him whatsoever, if he has a decent game he’s shunted right back out in favour of Young.

We crave another left back and someone to give us a bit of width. I’ve said it before but if we start the season with Valencia and Young as first choice full backs we have no designs on winning the league.

I’ve said it before but if we start the season with Valencia and Young as first choice full backs we have no designs on winning the league.

This I agree with, along with any CB pairing we currently have.

What is going on? A blind man can see we need the balance of a left back and realistically a right back.

Can possibly the best manager of the last 15 years not realise that Young offers us nothing going forward and little coming back? The guy can't even cross on his left foot ffs. Get a decent left back and use Young as competition with Valencia, at least Young can cross from the right.

Has the Shaw ship not sailed a long time ago? Surely were not going to go thru another season of that saga??

Does buying another kid for right back close the gap on City this season?

I'm really hoping it's all media smokescreen and we've got some cracking deals lined up else were gonna be in the same situation as last season and Fellaini will probably still be here as well as Jose is the only person at Utd that rates him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back