No movement and negative passing

Sideshow Bob

That pretty much sums up United’s football. I’d like to know what is coached at training. Will new signings help to alter United’s style of football?

Poor coaching I reckon. Even the basics are starting to slip.

There's no cohesion, no understanding of what to do with the ball or how to act without it. You watch a well coached League one team and they'll play better football.

It's all about complimenting each others ability.

If you press you press as a team it feels like we do it as individuals and in midfield if you have Matic you can't press as the man can't move.

As for passing if you want to pass forward the movement has to be there so often the midfield get stick for not passing forward but there's quite often no one to pass to so they have to look backwards or sideways when they are put under pressure.

That's either players being lazy or scared and not practising what they're coached to do or what they're being coached to do doesn't work.

City and Liverpool have clear attacking moves City is all about overloading you in attacking areas of the pitch on either side of the pitch this allows them to create quick passing moves that get them in behind.

Liverpool is slightly different they like Firmino to come short and pull the opposition defence up the pitch then the wide men dart in behind Mane and Salah very rarely look to come short for the ball.

Both sides aren't afraid to improvise either if the defence is caught napping they'll fly one over the top from the keeper or defenders to the strikers to get in behind.

Utd just don't seem to be trying to build the play in a certain way we get the ball wide but then we don't get people in the box and we don't really have players who attack crosses in the air in the box, we very rarely get the wide men in behind and play low balls across the box for tap ins. We don't have wide players who can cut inside and shoot, our wide forwards don't link with a central player to play quick one two's to get in behind.

Stuck record here, duff players = duff football.

Young, Matic, Fred, Lingard, Mata (pace wise not vision) pereira. And these are first picks, let alone Rojo, Jones etc.
all the while these are first picks, the football will be ugly.

For me, we should do what Chelsea are doing, play the kids, see if they can cope, if not move them on too.

We don't have the players to play nice football, no matter who the manager is. We need to give him time to build the squad he wants.

City on particular have players receiving the ball between the lines on the half turn. We seem to try the ball down the line behind the full back. It's an easy ball to negate

It's not just receiving the ball it's players who can play the ball at the right speed and keep it on the deck so it's easy for the next guy to receive and in some cases play blind because they know that the next guy will have made the run into the space.

Picking an XI and sticking to it would help somewhat but injuries don't really allow us to do that.

I hear what you are saying @Mr C about playing kids but our kids are teenagers who've only played U23 football Chelsea's kids are in their 20's and have had seasons out on loan playing at a much higher level. Their kids are much more first team ready that ours and it's shown when we have played them plus we really don't have the senior players to look after them and help them through games.

Mount for example is playing in midfield with Kante, Jorgino and Kovacic and Abraham is up top with Willian and Pedro so they've got guys that you can really rely on.

On the making runs, on the radio the other night they said Rashford only makes runs when Pogba has the ball as he is the only player capable of making a pass.

Sad really

On the making runs, on the radio the other night they said Rashford only makes runs when Pogba has the ball as he is the only player capable of making a pass.

Sad really

That's poor from Rashford if true though.

As a striker you always keep making the runs it's your job to make the runs don't just stand around because if you do that when the midfielders do have time they don't have the option.

It becomes self fulfilling having a striker that doesn't move we had that with Zlatan then Lukaku and now possibly Rashford if there's no movement you can't pass not getting the ball is not a reason to stop moving.

One of the reasons Rashford managed to get Lukaku out of the side last year was because of his movement.

I do think there may be some mitigating circumstances to his lack of movement in that he is a guy who plays injured if he's carrying a knock then he's going to limit his movement.

This is what is irking me at the moment, what is being taught on the training pitch? Does Ole really have the tactical nous to make us into a pass and move team? I watch a little bit of the Championship and teams like Leeds, Brentford, Swansea etc have a clear plan - they may not have the best players in the world but everyone knows their role. At the moment we play like a team of strangers, our players very rarely look up and pick a pass, it’s still very much backwards passing. The movement is static and rigid. It’s all wrong at the moment, the lack of quality doesn’t help but we’ve got to be better than this surely? I’m an advocate for keeping Ole and building something but we need to see signs of progression or otherwise what’s the point?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back