No End Date for Scholesy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSNFRMN

http://footytweets.com/manutd/news/323086

After being persuaded not to retire by his manager towards the end of last season, Paul Scholes has hinted that he may carry on playing beyond the upcoming campaign.

Sir Alex recently told Inside United how Scholes had considered hanging up his boots at the age of 35.

The boss reassured the club’s fourth highest appearance-maker that he still had plenty to offer the team and the midfielder is not ruling out continuing after his current one-year deal expires next summer.

“I don’t know if this season will be my last,” Scholes told ManUtd.com. “I did read that somewhere but I’ll just take every game as it comes and if I’m feeling okay and doing the job that the manager wants me to do then we’ll see how things are at the end of the season. Hopefully it'll be another good one for me.”

The Reds are midway through their training camp here in Chicago and, according to Scholes, preparations for the new campaign are going well.

“Pre-season is always a busy time of the year for us because we’re focused on getting set for the start of the season,” he said. “We’re doing lots of training in very hot conditions but hopefully that will stand us in a good stead.

“As far as next season goes we want to get back on track [after losing out in the league and Champions League]. Hopefully we’ll have better luck with injuries and win some more trophies.”

JSNFRMN

Fergie on Scholes:

"I don't think this will be his last game," said the United boss ahead of Blackpool's visit.

"We have discussed it and I have encouraged him to stay on for another year.

"We'll talk at the end of the season."

Interesting. To be fair on Scholesy, his form has only dipped a little since he got injured. If he can stay injury free, like he did last season, we've still got a World Class player. Fletch getting back to full fitness and form will help him too. Whatever decision he makes, it'll be respected i'm sure.

se7en

Guardiola: "Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation"

Status
Not open for further replies.