Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Thread to discuss United’s next manager.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rob Dawson:

Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri will be considered during Manchester United's hunt for a new manager, sources have told ESPN FC.

Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino is their top choice to replace Jose Mourinho, who was sacked last week, but United are committed to "a thorough and extensive" search before making a permanent appointment ahead of next season.

Zidane rumours going round again today. Apparently he is in Dubai with Silvestre who is a Utd ambassador.

I'm not convinced Zidane is actually any good at managing. His league form wasn't anything special.

I’m not sure the club would go to Silvestre to sort that out. Zidane is hopefully way down the list

Zidane should be very far down the list now

I don’t think Zidane should be the next manager, but not sure why he should be far down the list?

He’s a defensive manager something everyone on here keeps saying they don’t want.

I don’t think he done that good a job at Madrid. Yes 3 champions leagues is amazing but it’s still a cup competition league performance is what you should be judged on and Zidane finished his third season in third 17 points adrift with one of the strongest teams in the world.

I feel his cup success papers over the cracks in what was a very poor season.

I agree, Ronaldo came up with goods in the CL but ZZ league stats are poor. I think he should be low down because the list isn’t that long. There are only a few we should be considering

Zidane managed 2 full seasons at Madrid he won the league in one of those seasons the club then sold the experienced squad players so when he fell behind in the league they put 100% focus on winning the CL.

He is very hard to judge as a manager but if he’s available he has to be considered and is worth talking to.

I’m only interested in two from that list

Jardim is the new manager of Dalian Yifang, according to media reports.

who are they????

Try Google :p

Chinese Super League club.

Strange move given what he achieved at Monaco but probably been offered an absolute fortune to go there I thought he'd already taken a job somewhere in the middle east.

Try Google :p

Chinese Super League club.

Strange move given what he achieved at Monaco but probably been offered an absolute fortune to go there I thought he'd already taken a job somewhere in the middle east.
Think he rejected that job in the Middle East.

It is a strange one because he’s better than the Chinese League but if you don’t have any offers elsewhere then you’re options are limited. And he could be there for a season and probably be set for life judging by the money players get over there. Obviously a manager won’t be on as much but sure he’s still on a pretty penny.

Think he rejected that job in the Middle East.

It is a strange one because he’s better than the Chinese League but if you don’t have any offers elsewhere then you’re options are limited. And he could be there for a season and probably be set for life judging by the money players get over there. Obviously a manager won’t be on as much but sure he’s still on a pretty penny.

Think the managers are on top dollar Lippi was the best paid manager in the world at one point when he was in China think he was reported to be on 20m a year. Think things have scaled back a bit after the government intervened but that probably applies to players more than managers.

Given the Utd & Madrid jobs could be up for grabs in the summer seems strange he’s made that move maybe he wants to cash in while he’s got the chance. I reckon he’ll get a prem job within 18 months.

There is going to be rumours like this most weeks now with a new candidate emerging. It’s the ‘in’ story right now so media outlets are going to roll with it until we get the new man in.

I don’t for one minute think we are in for Simeone and if we are then the powers that be are just going to make the same mistake again. Simeone is a very good manager but if we were to really believe the spiel about our next manager being in the ethos and traditions of United, then he isn’t the man.

Southgate I can believe a little more because he did wonders for England and is bringing through the youth into the fray. But again I can only see it being either Poch or Solskjaer in truth.

I hope and pray it isn't Simeone. If this club wants to restore its traditions then Simeone is absolutely not the right guy.

Southgate I can understand but I'm not sure that'll happen. I think much like his playing career he'll be a international guy and remembered for that more than his club career.

If they want him may as well give Jose his job back. Boring boring defensive manager

I am happy to keep Ole, as long as they can get Phelan too.

Think the list will have been very long to start with so there's probably every manager in the world on it the challenge will be shortening that list down to suitable candidates then suitable candidates that we can attract.

I mean we're Utd we shouldn't even rule out Pep I'd certainly be talking to his people and making an approach see what he thinks haha! It sounds ridiculous but Utd is a huge attraction so why not making some ballsy moves what's the worst that happens he says no we all know Pep previously wanted the Utd job.

I don't like the thought of Southgate think he lacks the club record to be taken seriously international management is totally different to the club game and he's been out of the club game for a long time.

To me that story was just a journalist hearing his name was on the list but I'd like to think by now it's got a big thick line through it.

It’ll be interesting how we line up against Arsenal on Friday. A win there will be another feather in Ole’s cap. I hope he makes it impossible not to give him the job.

It’ll be interesting how we line up against Arsenal on Friday. A win there will be another feather in Ole’s cap. I hope he makes it impossible not to give him the job.

I mean what does he need to do to make that happen.

Top 4 finish
FA Cup Semi Final
Champions League Semi final.

Would that even be enough?

Whatever happens it's really hard to judge him because of where things where when he came in, he's done a great job so far but who knows what happens next season when he is in full control from day one of a season.

Ole is putting the board in a really tough place atm. You are right that in place from the start of the season and under pressure he might not do as well. The flip side is he could do well for the rest of the season, they still put poch in charge, and that doesn't work we look really bad.

I think regardless of how well he’s doing now we will have a better idea at the end of the season. Even if he doesn’t make top four or semi finals, at the moment there are no quarantees that Poch would do a better job next season anyway.

I don't think you can ask any more from a manager. At this level most of the players are good enough (or should be - I am looking at our defence), a lot is about motivation which he is clearly doing. He has the tactical nous as shown against Spurs. The players like him.

If it carries on like this (I expect defeats in some big games) you have to give to him. Why would you spend 50m getting a manager when the one you have seems to be doing ok and is popular.

If he actually wins something, then that would be one more trophy than Poch.

Top 4 finish, even getting this close is more than any of us had ideas about before he arrived, CL - getting beyond PSG will be a feat. And the FA cup, this game could go either way.

At this stage it's about the effort the team are putting in and if we are moving forwrd, which we seem to be.

I do think we need to tie down Phelan too.

Lets be honest the trophy thing to me means nothing as LVG & Mourinho won trophies but they weren't up to the task.

The trophies that matter to a club the size of Utd are League & European Cup the big boy trophies winning a domestic cup is great but it's not really how we should be measuring success. We saw with Di Matteo at Chelsea that a bit of momentum can carry a team to something I don't think it really means anything.

Ole has done a fantastic job so far of fire fighting but the real question is given a 3 year contract can he put us back on top of the league where we belong?

I don't think anything he does this season really tells us he can do that which makes this decision very hard to make.

I personally think if Spurs are going to make us pay a stupid amount of money to get Poch then why not give Ole a go but we need to make sure in the summer that we get the defenders in the squad is desperate for.

I think it's too easy to say things like it's similar to Di Matteo. I don't think Di Matteo had any managerial experience. If anything it's more like Zidane.

But for me you just can't say that, he is what he is, not like anyone else, and he seems to be doing ok. Why risk all that money when the answer could be there already. Why not give him a go, look at the last 7 years.

I don't think we'll beat Arsenal on Friday and I don't think we'll beat PSG. But it doesn't matter to me. We are playing the way I want to see us play, with some better players who knows what could happen. I have seen improvement. I also like he has brought things back like the team must wear their club suits to away matches.

I guess it helps that I wanted Ole when we signed LVG and Jose.

Ole ticks every box in terms of understanding what it means to be Utd but my concern is with this group of players how long will this buzz last?

It's probably the players that are long term the problem this lot aren't good enough to win a title I guess the positive is having voices like Ole & Phelan around means the club might avoid some of the expensive mistakes as they know what it takes to win at this club so you'd hope they can spot the bad eggs a mile off.

Ole is really putting himself in as the favourite surely? I mean what he's done is nothing short of incredible. He's not just brought a feel good factor back but he's saying and doing the right things. He's showing that he can go away, set his team up right and get results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back