Newcastle United 'on brink' of sale to Sheik Khaled?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got to be a conflict of interest here if the Abu Dhabi royal family basically own 2 football clubs in the same league.

I think in years to come a lot of teams will have these even richer owners than most of the teams have now, where they can pump crazy amounts of money in and do a Man City style job.

Interesting to see where FFP trys to keep it balanced and fair

ffp doesn't work, city and PSG prove that.

You are totally missing the point of FFP Mr C.

FFP was introduced to stop clubs running up unsustainable debts and effectively killing themselves by chasing the dream. The financial health of the major European clubs has never been better these clubs are mostly turning small profits now rather than having huge losses under written by wealthy owners which was the problem FFP was designed to solve.

There was also a second motive which was pulling up the draw bridge on new clubs being taken over and crashing the party like Chelsea did. City & PSG probably got in just in time but both clubs have been punished by FFP already and City are facing new charges as will PSG when the impact of the Neymar/Mbappe deal comes through in a year or two. Do you wonder why PSG haven't been able to sign anyone since that mad summer? They know FFP is all over them watching and they won't be able to justify the numbers.

The big challenge if this deal comes through will be the potential conflict over interest in having the same royal family in control of 2 clubs in the same division this has to be a major conflict of interest and you wonder if the PL may actually end up blocking the deal, I doubt this will happen.

Newcastle will face the same challenges breaking the top 6 is tough enough and Wolves are already sitting waiting as are Everton both of these clubs are backed by billionaires pumping fortunes into them every year and it's not just about spending money you've got to spend it well.

Do they have to pass FFP rules when not in Europe?

I think the PL has their own set of FFP rules but I they are only really linked to how quickly you can grow your wage bill it's something like a max 10% increase every year.

As for UEFA if you aren't in a UEFA tournament you can break all the rules you want FFP only applies when you apply for a UEFA license which you need to enter their tournament. So if Newcastle qualified they'd have to submit the last 3 years worth of accounts for assessment and justify any over spending if you are close to the limits if you are miles out you won't be allowed to enter.

The sale still hasn’t gone through. Benitez gone. Now Ayoze Pérez.

What do people think of Pérez to Leicester got £30m? Newcastle have had Leicester’s pants down there but that still leaves them with losing both their strikers this summer. It’s a lose for both clubs imo. Leicester overspent and Newcastle won’t reinvest that money

I think Perez is an alright striker probably going to be a squad player at Leicester but prem to prem deals are expensive so £30m didn't make me fall off my seat but it did make me think surely you can buy cheaper by going elsewhere.

As for Newcastle the longer this drags on the less genuine I believe that interest was it always sounded fishy reading a few pieces around the time he's not independently that wealthy and the family have no real interest in buying another PL club because of the conflict of interest with City.

Ashley wants to sell he's got his price and until someone meets it he won't budge and that means he won't invest but what he should be doing is allowing the club to spend the money that comes in, I know the finances were a mess when he bought them but they're regularly selling players for decent sums and don't seem to be putting that money back out on the pitch.

You would assume they're not appointing a manager because of the takeover as the new owners will probably want their own man but they do need to put someone in really because you can't just go through pre season without a manager even if that manager isn't going to be allowed to sign players at least come up with a plan for what they're doing.

That club is an absolute mess always has been always will be but they deserve to see the back of Ashley but people who bang on about it's potential are deluded in days where attendances were really important it had potential but that doesn't really matter anymore and match day revenue will never compete with London or North West clubs because they can't charge high enough prices.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back