New Rules For Next Season

My take on them. I’m surprised with VAR in place there was no clarification to the offside rule.

Dropkicks being banned is a little annoying. Don’t see it often but we all love a contested drop kick.

The Sub going off by the nearest point instead of the half way line is such an easy and obvious change and about time that it happened.

The handball rule there is slightly different to that in the champions league rule change I read but it almost seems like they’re removing accidental handball.

Someone made a good point on the subs if you are the away team I a derby game is it really correct for you to walk around the entire length of the pitch in front of all the fans?

I quite like the one about attacking players not being allowed in the wall on free kicks might help speed up the taking of them a bit as well.

I think the accidental bit on handball is only being applied to shots basically if you block a shot with your hand it will result in a penalty now because VAR will intervene and for VAR to work they need the rules to be black or white yes/no type questions. Not really a fan of this rule because trying to block shots is a vital part of the game and to do it properly you can't 100% control where your arms go.

Someone made a good point on the subs if you are the away team I a derby game is it really correct for you to walk around the entire length of the pitch in front of all the fans?

I quite like the one about attacking players not being allowed in the wall on free kicks might help speed up the taking of them a bit as well.

I think the accidental bit on handball is only being applied to shots basically if you block a shot with your hand it will result in a penalty now because VAR will intervene and for VAR to work they need the rules to be black or white yes/no type questions. Not really a fan of this rule because trying to block shots is a vital part of the game and to do it properly you can't 100% control where your arms go.
Yep, about the handball bit, this will cause some dodgy decisions as you will get players with hands at their sides giving away penalties ?

I believe the interpretation is down to natural silhouette so basically the only decision the ref/VAR has to make for defenders is the arm in a natural position basically down by your side or across your chest. If you try to block a shot by going to ground then arms need to be by your side or within your body so across your chest in some way if they're out to the side in any way it will be a penalty. I personally think the penalty is to harsh a punishment for this because you still need to beat the keeper with the shot in open play but I don't really see a suitable alternative to the penalty. We saw with Dalot vs PSG that shot was going nowhere near the goal unless it had some freak dip on it but we still got a penalty.

For an attacker if you use your arm/hand in any way to control/change the flight of the ball the goal either will be disallowed this includes controlling the ball before shooting and it doesn't matter if it's accidental or not.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back