New forward(s) required, but who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

I think most of us will agree that a new forward (or two ) is required in the summer?

But who? And what type of forward - traditional #9 or/and wide forward?

Both. I don't think we'll be able to spend really big on both positions though like last summer as other positions require more urgent attention. Unless we can find relatively cheap deals in defence and midfield then I suspect we won't spend big. £15-25m players maybe; Depay out wide seems likely. Upfront: Lacazette or Dybala seem like exciting prospects everyone's talking about, haven't seen either though and suspect they'll need time to adapt to the league. Interesting to see Berahino at OT the other night, like him but is a work in progress. Ings on a free would be a good move.

Saying all that Woodward seems determined to get a massive signing in attack. So probably be Bale and Cavani for £150m and we'll spend nothing on midfield and defence.

Valencia's president Salvo and owner Peter Lim were at Old Trafford today.

No outstanding options are there? Cavani would be the best we could potentially do, think he'd suit the Premier League, but he would cost a bomb and it would likely be a difficult deal to pull off. Of the others there really isn't anyone that jumps out. Berahino is talented but not sure he will make it to the top level for a club like United, although he is an interesting one. Ings would be a decent squad addition but I'd prefer we pursued with Wilson rather than having Ings in front of him on the bench. Dybala seems to be the one the big guns will fight over this summer but he seems very raw... Basically the scouts have a job to do.

I'd maybe stick with Rooney as the main striker for next season. Maybe a #9 signing can wait another summer. Lay the foundations this summer and put the roof on the summer after ;)

A lot depends on how this season pans out though I think. And also depends on who leaves. If we're going to be using a 433 then we only need 3 strikers in the squad really. So a lot depends on the formation we're going to use. Van Gaal is not a big fan of rotation either. But for injuries we'd have seen a lot more consistent selections this season.

Yeah we'd be fine with 3 if we stick to this system. Problem is we may only be left with 1 (Rooney)... Falcao will be gone.. I'd personally let van Persie go along with him. It's the last window we could potentially get any sort of value on him.. His wages are very high and I don't think he's quick enough any more for the way we want to play. Hernandez is likely to be sold, although I'd actually prefer to keep him as an impact sub than keep the other two, at least he moves. Wilson could well be loaned out next season too.

Likely to be another very busy window really.

Another striker worth a mention is Ayoze Perez. Of the Premier League strikers linked I think he is the one who will have the brightest future. He just has it all - both feet, pace, good in the air, hold up play.. I think he'd benefit from another season or two at Newcastle but he looks like he will be a very good player down the line. The likes of Harry Kane, Ings etc have been getting the headlines but Perez looks like he'll be a far more complete player than any of them.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2015/...l-update-on-United-signing-a-new-striker.aspx

During his pre-match press conference for Tuesday’s ICC match against San Jose Earthquakes, van Gaal was quizzed on his comments about a surprise signing and asked if the club has made any further progress with it in the transfer market.

“He is in the process,” said the boss. “It's not the striker the media has written about. You have to wait and see. The transfer period is open until the 1 September so we have to wait.”

Who do we think? Is this the actual summer where Ronaldo returns or am I suffering from Cordon withdrawal symptoms?

Trying to think of forwards we haven't been linked to this summer. Just because Van Gaal said it was someone the papers haven't mentioned, doesn't mean it isn't though, I doubt Van Gaal is following every single rumour.

Top trolling by van Gaal. Backtracks on the striker comment. Good to see him toying with the media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back