New Deal for Shaw?

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Luke Shaw: defender to sign new contract after making a 'big effort' in training

Think the club have already done the 1 year option which takes his curren deal to 2019 and the comments from Jose seem to suggest the club are close to agreeing an extension to that deal.

Fingers crossed he seems like he's now fully recovered from that injury which lets be honest robbed him of 2 years as he clearly wasn't right last season but him being back on the right track would be a huge bonus to Utd.

I think he needs to be put in as the number 1 choice in the big games ahead of young for the rest of the season, so we can see if he's good enough to be the first choice.

Defo. He needs that spot to make it his own even if he has a few average games. He's played so little over the last 2 years. That free's Young up to be back up left or right wing back or rw option maybe.

Young shouldn't be going back into the attack he would become a back up at full back or he'd need to move on if he wants regular football.

Young was never good enough to be an attacking player for Man Utd he didn't score enough goals or create enough chances he's tried his best but for me the quality was never really there but we took a chance on him stepping up and he's lucky he's lasted as long as he has.

Seems a bit harsh on Young that, he is one of very few who has actually shown he gives a sh*t and he always gives everything for the shirt, passion desire, has 4 or 5 assists and a few goals to his name this year, position sense he is at least on par with Valencia and going forward he has been brilliant.

He has had a proud United career and when he leaves he will be thought of as someone who never ever let us down, ok he might not be technically the most gifted but when alot of the so called big guns have hidden this year, he hasn't, bit of respect for the man.

I'd disagree that his position sense is on a par with Valencia who has improved greatly on that. Young for me is good enough to be a left wing back but not a left back especially in big games. I think he gets caught out a lot in a back 4. I'd agree on the rest though.

To be fair the whole back line gets caught out against big sides as all we do is defend and get zero protection from midfield, Young for me is better going forward from full back as he can actually cross a ball as proved on numerous occasions this season whereas Valencia frustrates the hell out of me with is "close my eyes and hit it as hard as I can" approach to crossing.

Regarding positioning I think Young is a very intelligent footballer, they are both decent at that IMO, Young for me is better than Darmian, Blind at that and probably better than Shaw as he tends to get caught out quite often.

Just not into singling him out as I think he has been superb this season and better than probably 90% of our starting 11.

There's giving a sh*t then there's being good enough to play for Utd as giving a sh*t is the bare minimum I'd expect form a Man Utd player.

Young was a gamble we hoped he'd step up from Villa who at the time were a decent team but he hadn't really been tested at the very top level, he made a bright start then faded quickly.

185 games 16 goals over 7 season now I'll cut him some slack and say the last 18 months he's been a full back but that's 141 games 14 goals which is a goal every 10 games which isn't good enough for a Utd winger and Wiki doesn't give you an assist stat but I doubt his assist stats are that impressive. If you look at his Villa numbers in 190 games he scored 38 goals so if anything he's got worse despite having better players around him.

I think he's a good honest pro and I think he probably sets a good example to people who come into the club and it seems like he's a popular guy in the dressing room I it's these attributes that have earned him new deals rather than peformances on the pitch.

Young was purchased as a first team player and I don't think he ever really made that left wing role his own I think he's had a bit of an indian summer at left back but while he's ok at left back he's 32 now so we can't really build going forward with him. If I'm totally honest if he got a good offer to go elsewhere in the summer I'd probably let him move on.

I'd rather we push Shaw for the rest of the season and allow ourselves to make a proper decision on him he's either good enough and we rely on him or we buy a more reliable left back for next season who can play twice a week. What I wouldn't give for a 25 year old Patrice Evra right now.

Signed a new deal according to Sky, so we can scrub off the Jose and him rumours as press rubbish.

Lets hope he can stay fit, becasue when he is fit and trim, he's a great player.

Think it's about 170 grand a week

Signed a new deal according to Sky, so we can scrub off the Jose and him rumours as press rubbish.

I think the club wouldn’t like Shaw to leave for a free transfer. Plus there’s the possibility Mourinho will no longer be the manager at some point this season.

5 year deal lets hope he sticks with his current attitude and doesn't lapse back into the guy he was for the previous 2 years.

If he can keep performing consistently at the level he has been so far this season it's a massive plus for Utd as it's another £50m we don't need to spend on a new player.

It's all up to the player now keep your focus and fulfill that potential.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back