Neville Set To Announce Retirement At End Of The Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think best for him to retire with pride. Great right back, maybe the best in England in the last decade?

Brilliant servant, true red, good captain, LEGEND.

Doesn't play in a position where you can go on and on especially with wingers these days being extremely quick and skillful, injuries haven't helped him either. Been made to look a fool at times over the last 2 seasons. I thought it would have been good this season to have him playing with the Reserves to help them out and give advice. Seems to have struggled with injuries though.

New Reserves boss?

I never considered Gary a excelent RB. But no doubt he was a good one. Led the team in the best possible way over the years and is definitely a legend. But considering he barely canplay because of his fitness, I believe this is the best option for him. Hopefully, he'll be the our new reserve manager soon.

Legend. Tad surprised it's now though.

2uzuiv5.jpg

Neville announces retirement

GARY NEVLLE RETIRES...what does he do now.

Gary after an illustrios career has decided to call it a day ....what do we do with his wealth of knowledge....

Brian Kidd said when he was at United that he turned himself into a footballer through hard work and determination. Gary Neville is a RED!

Sad to see the end of United with a Neville in the team.... wish him all the best in whatever it is that he does in the future... be it Ole's old job or Gray's former job... or even at the PFA...

Legend. Can't find any footballing footage of him apart from an own goal for Croatia. haha. 602 appearances and a monumental 7 goals. Top Red.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why has he decided to retire before the season has finished? I thought with united still challenging on three fronts he would have wanted to wait until the end of the season

Why has he decided to retire before the season has finished? I thought with united still challenging on three fronts he would have wanted to wait until the end of the season

he's not going to retire till after the season is over, Same as VDS...

No Rob, he's retired with immediate effect. Rumours around say it's because he's been left out of the Champions League squad.

wow.... okay... Injury maybe... or the Sky rumors are real and he's taken the job..

pity, would have liked to have seen him get a send off at OT before he went...

Nev is/was just on MUTV with Paddy Crerand. What a team those 2 would make. Their show could be called, Red Tinted Glasses or actually... Full On Red Specs.

As much as we'd expect, it's always sad to see a player retiring. And it's sadder when that player has been loyal to the club for 20 years. Gary wasn't an excellent RB, but in his prime, was a top player. One of the most successful players in the club, 602 games, led the team as best as possible in 5 years as captain .... a true legend.

Thanks for the memories, for the titles, for the passion and especially, to realize that you're no longer able to play football in a level that team needs. Certainly will be our reserve manager next season.

In his prime he was one of the worlds finest just behind Cafu.

Edit: I just saw my comment from earlier in the thread im bloody repeating myself here.

a fantastic representative for both club & country a true professional. Glad he's decided to end his career with the biggest and best club in the world.

Most probably thought "sod it if John O'Shea is getting in the team before me....i must retire!".....no in all seriousness great servant,great man and a great pro for any youngster coming into the game to look too.....pleasure to have seen him..

Shame there's little footage of Gary playing, not surprising I suppose though for a RB. Would be great to re-live some of his best performances, I seem to remember that most of those were against Liverpool too.

EDIT: Here's a bit. http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2011/Feb/Video-Neville-in-action.aspx

Gary Neville: "The mentality at this club is always to go again, but sometimes in your mind you get a feeling that you can't go again...Last year and year before I played 30 games and felt I was contributing. Once you've lost that it's not right. Don't be a passenger...I'm going to stay until the end of the season & coach. At the moment my mindset isn't to go into coaching or management full-time...I just want 12 months to gather, I don't want to rush into another relationship! I want to ease off it and chill out a little bit...I want to continue my relationship with the club, even if only as a fan, because it's given me everything that I've got in my life...

More footage of Gaz.

German journo Raphael Honigstein has said on twitter. "Neville: (the one?) British pro who really thinks about the game and has opinions. At WC06, the only Eng player worth talking to."

I will make one post here only and try not to cry on your shoes as me mates as they read. Gary Neville was always one of my favorite players. He knew when he had silks beyond other defenders and was still humble. Gary loved Manchester United. As his football fitness and skills slowed he still loved Manchester United. You always knew where Gary stood just by asking him. He never once wanted to play before a lad that he thought might do a better job. When time came to start thinking about what to do with his United future he was the one to call it a day. I knew the last match he played and said so in the post match report on these boards. Gary Neville is a Red and will always be a Red. United need to get this one right and give him a testimonial this next preseason, and allow him one last run out for the fans at OT. I will be there and pray it is against Everton and his brother. I also hope that he gets to get it stuck in one last time because he is a true United legend and a great wrestler.

You'll never be forgot Neville Neville's lad!

I think it's been said there is a testimonial at the end of the season... I was just thinking Becks might play but that might take away what the day is about and that's Nev. What do we think?

Also good to hear by the way and surprising, Carragher and a lot of Liverpool fans actually saying good things about Nev. Maybe they're just glad he's retired.

For the testimonial:
Schmeichal
Neville Stam Berg Neville
Beckham Scholes Butt Giggs
Yorke Cole

:)

Beckham and Neville were simply brilliant.

Maybe the current United team vs a Gary Neville select XI. World XI including Becks, Nev plays one half for each side, 2nd half playing for United.

haha. I'd probably organise the testimonial to be played on my local cricket pitch in the rain on May 22nd (the day we win the Prem back).

Neville, Scholes and Giggs will never be replaced, irreplaceable players but I think the only player that hasn't been 'replaced' so to speak yet is Scholes and maybe Giggs but that depends on how Valencia does and how Nani does on the left.

True United Legend and a great professional! I heard Fergie saying how Nevs would knock on his door trying to get young kids better contracts! Im sure he will stay on in some way behind closed doors, either as a players representative or a coach, I hope he can help bring through the next golden generation!!!

Nev is commentating on MUTV for next weeks FA Youth Cup game against Newcastle.

gutted.really gutted to see him retire at this moment of time when we're so close to winning the league.hoped he would stay on till we win our 19th trophy.hoped to see him lift that trophy.so cos of that i wished he would have retired at the end of the season..One of my favourite players ever,i am sad to see him retire.but everyone knew it was time.What a Legend.Surely one of the best RBs I have ever seen.Imo he is definitely United's and PL era's greatest RB.He has achieved everything he could achieve at United and also captained the club to League title.Great servant to the club and he has left his legacy at this club.plus he hates scousers.

one of my favourite moments of Neville: Gary Neville when introducing new-boy Michael Owen to Danny Welbeck,"This is Danny.He's 18 and he has won the League."

Gary was not the best full-back i've seen at Old Trafford in a red shirt,but he was damn close...Gary was the only one who i could say 'hand on heart'that could have gone back in time and challenged for a place in the pre-Munich side,because of his style of play , his committment and his no nonsense attitude.He was as brave as they come,something you had to be in those days.I personally don't think Gary was given the credit he deserved in the great defences of his time,i remember how when Ferdinand came how Gary would organize and coach Rio through in the early days,how he settled Keano down(a job in it's own)...No he wasn't the best technically but i bet as i did he had a little tear in his eye when he knew it was all over.....the fire that burns at Old Trafford got slightly dimmer when Gary retired....but it will glow strong again when our next hero comes along..

Gary was not the best full-back i've seen at Old Trafford in a red shirt,but he was damn close...Gary was the only one who i could say 'hand on heart'that could have gone back in time and challenged for a place in the pre-Munich side,because of his style of play , his committment and his no nonsense attitude.He was as brave as they come,something you had to be in those days.I personally don't think Gary was given the credit he deserved in the great defences of his time,i remember how when Ferdinand came how Gary would organize and coach Rio through in the early days,how he settled Keano down(a job in it's own)...No he wasn't the best technically but i bet as i did he had a little tear in his eye when he knew it was all over.....the fire that burns at Old Trafford got slightly dimmer when Gary retired....but it will glow strong again when our next hero comes along..

At this moment I cant identify a successor who take over from Gary and "keep the fire burning" (btw - well said WT) - I'll wait how Rafael develops .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back