Nemanja Vidic offered chance to coach United’s Reserves?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If he's serious about a career in coaching no harm having him in the setup but do think the players at that level deserve a suitably qualified coach not just an ex player who's having a go at it.

Reserves? Our First team needs him to coach our Primary School defenders(Probably insulting to primary school kids to say the least)
Smalling
Jones
Rojo
Damian
Baily even though 12 months ago everyone was saying how good he was.
I wonder if Harry Rednapp would pick all these up in a mini bus and take them to the airport for us like he did Benjani? We would probably end up paying Harry 350k a week knowing in Ed Woodward.

Just because you can do doesn't mean you can teach.

Utd should be targeting the best of the best in every department for the football team, directors, managers, coaches, players, physio etc etc. Yes give ex players chances within the club to prove they're good enough for the top jobs but you can't just put them in first team roles because they played for us.

I'm not sure about that, granted he might not be able to manage a football team. But he certainly would be able to teach how to defend as a CB, just from experience. Advise on positioning, tackling etc.

If that was true Mr C then the best managers and coaches in the world would be the former best players in the world and we know that’s far from the truth. To these phenomenal players a lot of this stuff just comes naturally. Vidic isn’t going to be able to teach them to jump stronger and be fearless. His positioning wasn’t the greatest and our players shouldn’t be making these last ditch challenges all the time. That’s what gets them in to so much trouble.

If we had the choice between Rio and Vidic coaching our defence it would be a no brainer due to their styles of play.

I didn't say they could teach the team, but they could certainly give advice on the position they played and their experience. So I don't think great players make great coaches. But I do believe, in any workplace, experience counts for a lot and, certainly if anything can be passed on then thats useful. Even if it's what mistakes they made.

I think Vidic was pretty solid on his positioning and tacking, of course at times there were erros as any player, especially if Torres was playng :). But he was probably in the top two CB in the world at the time, the other being Rio. And our CB could definitley learn from someone like him. They could learn from anyone to be fair.

But I also agree some things just cannot be tought, like how to boss the defence.

As I said you bring them into the club in roles where they can show they have the skills to transfer into a new career from player you don't put them straight into positions of authority.

Utd has to be the best of the best always ideally the ex players learn the ropes from the best and take over then teach the next generation of ex players which is basically how Barca/Ajax/Bayern operate and have done for 50 years. Utd haven't done that we are in desperate need of some top level experts to put this structure in place like the guys have done at City to build a model that sustains success and allows for people to come and go.

If Utd history tells you one thing it's that our success is massively down to 2 men who had 2 long sustained periods of success the bits in between are not pretty because you are basically relying on the genius of 1 man to put you ahead of the field, there's a reason no other clubs operate this way anymore Utd were just lucky we had the last of the great dinosaurs.

Vidic coming into the club not a problem if he wants to be a coach but he should be working with first team/U23's/academy almost like an apprentice learning in every department to see what suits him best find the right environment for you and it might be after 12 months he decides that coaching isn't for him.

It's the same reason I don't want an ex player being technical director unless he is the best technical director we can find, I do want the new technical director to bring some ex players in to learn from him so when he moves on we have someone internal ready to replace him.

I'm in two minds about Tech D too. Ideally you want someone with experience, but I do happen to think Rio would be good at that role. Well respected and well liked throughout football. Didn't Cheslea apt Cech recently? Ajax did it with Van de Sar. I think it depends on the player. Rio is well up with social media and all sorts. The only thing against him is all his other business interests. But he has a lot of players following him too.

I'm in two minds about Tech D too. Ideally you want someone with experience, but I do happen to think Rio would be good at that role. Well respected and well liked throughout football. Didn't Cheslea apt Cech recently? Ajax did it with Van de Sar. I think it depends on the player. Rio is well up with social media and all sorts. The only thing against him is all his other business interests. But he has a lot of players following him too.

Chelsea did appoint Cech but they've been running this model for about 10 years now. They've had a few down the years so they've got a pretty well established structure.

Van Der Sar took a job in the marketing department and was promoted to club CEO he is not responsible for the football side of things at Ajax he is responsible for everything at Ajax.

My point is I'd happily have Rio involved but he's not the guy to setup this structure you need to get in a guy who knows how it should work to set it up and put younger hungry people around him to take it on when he moves on. Utd should be trying to get someone out of a club like Juventus, Munich, Barca etc who have this structure and bring them over to put the proper structure in place at Utd

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back