1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nemanja Matic | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sideshow Bob, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

[​IMG]
    Nemanja Matic Statistics 2017/18

Appearances
    Total 4

Premier League 3
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 1

Goals
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Assists
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Yellow Cards
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Red Cards
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

2. Sideshow Bob

Pre Season: Manchester United 2-1 Sampdoria - 2nd August 2017

Decent. Did exactly what it says on the tin.

3. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Very early days and it was only Sampdoria but think he's a big improvement on the Carrick we've had for the last few years and can play week in week out. More physical in his defending than Carrick, who's more mental in his defending. Thought the midfield in the first half worked really well together and no reason why Herrera can't further improve that, thought Pereira showed he can be an able deputy to him though.

4. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how he does as the only holding play in a 3 as he's been playing in a 2 at Chelsea so he will probably be a little bit more exposed but I guess it will come down to how well Herrera/Pogba/Periera/Fellaini develop understandings to make sure that at least 1 can recover quickly if Utd turn over the ball.

Didn't see the game, the only thing I did see was a clip of him booting the ball into some poor girls face by accident. Haha!

5. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 West Ham United - 13th August 2017

Was a lovely gesture for Chelsea to sell us Matic. He was immense today.

6. Sideshow Bob

He was class.

7. boothstownred

boothstownred Well-Known Member

Brilliant. I hadn't realised what a good player he is. Knows when to press and when to stand off. Good passer. Happy to beat his man to find space for the pass. Really impressed today.

8. macas

macas Well-Known Member

Excellent game

9. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

I have to say that I was not excited in the slightest at signing Matic, I was all for Fabinho. Thought Matic was getting on a bit, slow and above all a Chelsea reject. I thought there must be a reason they are letting him go, eg past it a bit.
    After watching him yesterday my view has changed dramatically. He has been desperately needed at OT since maybe Keane left! What a difference he made without actually doing anything spectacular. Positional wise unbelievable! Does everything simple and when needed can do the extravagant, eg the looped pass over the top

I'm impressed!

10. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

He was a class act yesterday now I'm sure there will be games where he struggles against superior opposition where he'll have more to do but he absolutely bossed the middle of the pitch yesterday a real commanding performance both defensively and going forward, not sure we've seen a guy play like that in there since that first season of Hargreaves before he broke himself and became the bitter and twisted man he is now.

The thing I really like is that he's not afraid to drive forward if the chance presents itself, yeah he's 29 and we might only get 2-3 good seasons out of him but sometimes you need that and I think this teams needs a bit of experience. Not many title winners in that side, certainly not in recent times.

Bakayoko might turn out to be a great replacement at Chelsea but I can't believe they allowed him to leave.

11. macas

macas Well-Known Member

For the first goal Matic was an option for Rushford. He kept with him and got in . I was looking for the lack of pace. He impressed me.

12. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

So so good. At least a 9/10 performance. Most passes, most dribbles, 100% duels in the air and on the deck. A combination of aggression, control and tactical awareness we've lacked in the middle for some years. Whereas Carrick likes to sit in space and read a pass, I feel Matic is constantly looking to go to the ball to nick possession and it gets us on the front foot more and it creates better counter attacking opportunities. Gets the whole team playing higher up the field than usual too. What impressed me most however was his work going forward, we knew what he was about defensively from his Chelsea days but here we saw the player that many were talking about when he was at Benfica. As pointed out above, brilliant work from him for the first goal to firstly win the ball and then support the attack and give the West Ham defence another player to worry about. We made plenty of chances in the same fixture last season and other home draws but there were times where we lacked players getting forward with Ibra coming towards the halfway line and the lack of midfield runners but here we had Lukaku with his pace in behind and one of Matic or Pogba getting forward while the other sat.

13. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Yeah I noticed that about Matic, where he goes looking for the ball, rather than staying quite static. I wasn't too enamoured when we signed him but that was perhaps not seeing him enough and appreciating his strength. I don't watch as much football as I did - mainly just United matches - but now I can see why Matic is rated so highly. It was a super impressive performance

14. 1992united

1992united Well-Known Member

Made me eat my own words. Correction. Continues to make me eat my own words. Not a fan of buying from rival clubs or older players but talk about the player that was missing in the middle. Team looks totally galvanized behind Matic. Should only get better. Hopefully the injuries this season will be in our favor. He's definitely quickened our attack breaking up plays & initiating the counter. We've also been breaking those plays up higher up the pitch.

15. Sideshow Bob

Champions League: CSKA Moscow v Manchester United - 27th September 2017

He's had a brilliant start to the season.

16. bludsucker

bludsucker Well-Known Member

That ball which nearly set darmian for a goal was a peach of a ball. Scholeseque if you like.

17. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

I think I've said before that I really wanted Fabinho and not Matic. I thought he was too slow and maybe Chelsea let him go because they thought he was on the down slide but the guy, to me, is the missing link we have needed for years! He seems to have gelled the team together in a way Carrick could never do. He is direct, passes well, breaks up play, looks FORWARD (Carrick seemed to like sidewards and backwards a lot), protects the back 4, positional play is phenomenal and is always in the right place at the right time. Cant wait for him to score his trademark screamer!

So glad we bought him!

18. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Don't think there's been a game yet where I haven't thought "How did Chelsea sell him to us?!?"

19. Sideshow Bob

World Cup Qualifier: Austria 3-2 Serbia - 6th October 2017

20. Sideshow Bob

Champions League: Manchester United 1-0 Benfica - 31st October 2017

21. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Really hope we don’t burn him out, he seems to always play 90 minutes, obviously with our lack of options it’s a necessity but he’ll need a rest at some stage. Also Serbia have arranged stupid friendlies both in Asia during the International break, so he’ll be doing a lot of travelling which can burn you out.

22. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll rest him for those friendlies?

He's had a heavy work load because of the injuries once the walking wounded come back he needs a rest, we need 1 point from our last 2 Champions League games so it might be those games that he sits out along with the trip to Bristol in the League Cup which will also be before Xmas.