Mourinho ~ Midfield is top priority

jsp

Mourinho repeats Man United's summer transfer priority - Football365

2 centre mids one for the centre and one for the right of the 3 a right back and left back has to be priority this summer.

4 players of starting quality 20-25 years old so we are getting them at their peak would be nice but that is going to cost a hell of a lot of £££

Periera could be one of those midfield players but who knows.

Carrick is going and Fellaini probably is too so both need replacing with significant upgrades but neither will bring in a fee which could be an issue. Where can we generate any funds from? Most of what we want to get rid of is going to be going cheap.

I think 4-2-3-1 will still be used next season, especially against weaker teams at Old Trafford. So, do United sign a midfielder who will take Matic's place in 4-2-3-1? If not, who do United sign to be second choice to Matic? Would Matic become the third midfielder in 4-3-3 if the new addition replaces him in 4-2-3-1 or is a different type of midfielder required?

I think he will want options to be flexible to play either a 2 or a 3 when he needs to I think 433 should be the base but it can be played very attacking with 1 holding and 2 attacking like Barca/City play it or it can be super defensive like we played it yesterday with 3 more defensive minded players who sit deep. I remember a coach saying years ago in your 3 you want a getter, a giver and a goer. I think Utd have a getter in Matic/Carrick, a goer in Pogba but don’t really have the giver. Herrera could be that guy but we’ve rarely seen Matic, Herrera & Pogba together this season because of injuries and suspension.

My guess is 1 defensive minded player to replace Carrick and 1 attacking minded to replace Fellaini ideally someone to play right side of the 3

Matic has played more of a box to box role in the past in his Benfica days and last season at Chelsea he was a bit more advanced than Kante. I think Matic like Herrera can cover 2 positions in a 3.

The guy who really loses if we go 433 is Lingard unless he learns to play in the midfield 3 as there’s no number 10 role that he’s thrived in and he isn’t as good out wide. I’m intrueged to see if he can get that form back again because he’s dropped off a bit recently which isn’t surprising.

I would be happy with two top class midfielders replacing Carrick and Fellani, Herrera is fighting for his future as he has been nowhere near the standard required this season, plus McTominey and Pereira deserve spots in the squad next season, so that leaves us with 6 potential CM's, Pereira can always play wide right, if you get Fabinho you have extra cover at RB even though TFM for me deserves to be back up, I think two top class CM's would make a huge difference, as jsp says, we need someone who can play a final decisive ball from that midfield area and someone who has a bit of bite as obviously Pogba needs someone to do his defensive duties.

We definitely need 2 CMs and both need to be in their prime. I would take Vidal right now... this is warranted especially if we want to play 4-3-3 regularly.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back