Mourinho: "Football is changing, football managers should be called head coaches."

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got that right. I remember times when managers used to pitch in when signing players, making small gestures of courtesy towards them and their families (like calling them or visiting them in person), not just handing in a list of players and then bitching about lack of signings.

Got that right. I remember times when managers used to pitch in when signing players, making small gestures of courtesy towards them and their families (like calling them or visiting them in person), not just handing in a list of players and then bitching about lack of signings.

Yeah then they used to get a little brown envelope under the table for helping get deals done.

In a world where managers are expected to last no more than 5 years allowing them to control the buying or selling of the clubs most valuable assets is madness. His focus should be on getting the absolute maximum out of what he has.

Managers/Head Coaches still have a big say in who comes and goes but days of bring in full control and being part of the negotiations are over.

Yeah then they used to get a little brown envelope under the table for helping get deals done.

In a world where managers are expected to last no more than 5 years allowing them to control the buying or selling of the clubs most valuable assets is madness. His focus should be on getting the absolute maximum out of what he has.

Managers/Head Coaches still have a big say in who comes and goes but days of bring in full control and being part of the negotiations are over.

Have you considered the possibility that clubs reducing managers' influence has led to managers staying for shorter periods of time?

IMO it's all because football clubs have become extremely profitable and owners started treating them more like businesses rather than sports clubs.

Have you considered the possibility that clubs reducing managers' influence has led to managers staying for shorter periods of time?

IMO it's all because football clubs have become extremely profitable and owners started treating them more like businesses rather than sports clubs.

Yes that is true but managers don’t just get sacked some decide they want to step up to bigger clubs so the club has to protect themselves from the manager just deciding I don’t want to be here anymore.

I think it’s partly down to Bosman ruling plus the ever increasing transfer value meaning that the power is now with the players rather than the manager. The manager used to have a lot more control over you as the player he normally earned more money than you but he was also the man who decided if you were allowed to leave and if you were getting a better contract or bonus or car etc.

I think with the money at stake for the clubs now this is the way the model needs to be and you are right the clubs are run like businesses now whereas 30 years ago they weren’t.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back