Mourinho at the World Cup

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018' started by Sideshow Bob, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

2. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

He should be back in sunny Manchester plotting the next campaign lol

3. Sideshow Bob

4. kef2138

kef2138 Well-Known Member

I wonder if him being at the World Cup implies that he's on vacation and United's activity in the transfer market is done?

5. Sideshow Bob

I doubt it. Very few transfers happen during the World Cup. I suspect he'll be in regular contact with Woodward.

6. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I would imagine a lot of players, agents and club officials are out in Russia for the next few weeks.

Unless we are signing players not at the World Cup I can’t see much business happening over next few weeks.

7. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

He's not on holiday, working for Russian TV

he'll have already discussed transfers I would have thought so it's all down to Woodward. But as Bob said, nowt will happen while they are playing in the WC

8. Red Warrior

I don't quite get it? Just because the WC is on surely discussions should be ongoing with clubs and agents? Realistically you only need the player for the medical? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

9. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

the agent would have to talk to his player, and the national sides don't like any distraction, naturally. So yes they could talk to agents etc but not the player........in theory.

You only need to look a the Spain coach to see how they feel about it.

Just guessing on that. But I can't think of a deal that has happened while a player is still involved in the tournament.

10. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

He’s in Russia watching a lot of football and that can only be a good thing. I don’t think discussing the game can be that stressful it’s only what we all do down the pub but in front of a few cameras.

11. Red Warrior

I'm getting concerned that the time we will have after the WC to sign decent players will be very limited. The US tour starts pretty soon after the WC too so any players we bring in then won't have much time to gel with the team. I can see it being a bit of a mess this transfer window and we don't get many of the targets we want. Another season of frustration ahead!

12. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

We've already got two in. More than anyone else in the league. Deals will be in place ready to be signed quickly after the world cup.

13. Red Warrior

One of them is a kid who won't be first choice for a long time though

14. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

One thing I would say is it's going to be a mad rush for a lot of teams this summer. Remember our transfer window closes on the 9th of August this season. 3 weeks earlier than the rest of Europe.

15. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if he isn't first choice by Christmas.

16. Red Warrior

I really hope so, Valencia doesn't really offer too much going forward anymore. Let's hope he hits the ground running a bit better than Lindelof did

17. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

I would be amazed anyone if in the world cup went on the tour.

18. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

It seems most players put deadlines on these things now they either get it done prior to the tournament or they wait until after I don't think players really want to know what is going on outside of their national team setups while the tournament is going on. You won't be able to complete a deal and while you're agent might tell you of interest from clubs it's unlikely things will go that far during the competition.

Utd will have been working on the deals for this summer for months maybe even a year but in the transfer market until all the pieces start to move you have lots of deals that are on hold. Utd might need to get someone out before someone can come in or other clubs might need to get their replacement lined up before they are prepared to announce the sale of a player. There's still the best part of 2 months to get deals done the window doesn't close until 9th August and the reality is players playing at the world cup will miss most of pre season anyway.

Mourinho doing some TV work still leaves him plenty of hours in the day to be in contact with Woodward or whoever does the negotiations now (apparently he's taken a bit of a back seat) for updates, Mourinho says he's left a list of players with the board so my guess is they're working no getting as many of those deals done as possible within the budget. Mourinho is on record saying that he's not involved in negotiating with clubs or agents his only involvement is to talk to the player/agent about how he sees him fitting in the team and basically offer a bit of a sales pitch to the player for why he should pick Utd.

The likelyhood is the types of players we will be trying to sign have more than one offer on the table and while we might have a deal in place with the player if the clubs are being unreasonable on the fee there's not a lot we can do to change that.

It is a bit strange that our manager is being a pundit on TV during the world cup rather than taking some time off with his family but there were lots of rumours that his marriage is on the rocks and his kids are now grown up teenagers so probably don't want to spend their summer with dad, so maybe he's treating this as a bit of a working holiday. Needs to make some extra dollar to settle that tax bill in Spain ;)

19. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

They normally come back a bit staggered depending on what point they go out as they're normally given 3 weeks off. Those who go out in the group stage will likely join the squad during the tour those who go further will probably miss the whole thing.