Mikel Arteta at Arsenal 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just people that are interested in football discussing football.

You came into the thread. Must care a little.
I do tend to ignore these threads but then thought I'd check it out in case something crazy had happened at Arsenal or like the Houllier and Maradona threads, maybe Arteta had died. But no just United fans discussing the troubles of a manager at an even more dysfunctional club than our own

I do tend to ignore these threads but then thought I'd check it out in case something crazy had happened at Arsenal or like the Houllier and Maradona threads, maybe Arteta had died. But no just United fans discussing the troubles of a manager at an even more dysfunctional club than our own

Only so many times we can have the same conversations about Utd mate sometimes you need to look at what's going on elsewhere.

For me I like the young coaches are getting a chance, rather than rolling out Pulis, Big Sam etc.

It's a huge project there with little money, I hope they give him a chance.

I think what's killed them is they've had to much in fighting above the manager so they've had this culture conflict at board level one part of the team were trying to have this modern strategy of using stats to help identify players where the other wanted to just rely on the old contacts with agents.

They've just blown a lot of money on a badly built squad and it's hard to unpick that problem got a lot of older players on big wages not interested in going anywhere. There's a lot of good young talent there though and Arteta I think would be better off building it around them.

I do think there's questions over Arteta and how he sees the game, to me he looks like a very cautious manager which maybe isn't what they thought they were getting when they signed him from City.

Another game day and another loss for Arsenal.

14 from 42 so far this season. On for 38 points. It's proper relegation form.

Not sure changing manager solves their problems but feels like they’re totally lost at the moment they need to find a Bruno type signing in January and resist the urge to bring back Ozil

Would love to see it just to frazzle the Spurs fans minds but not sure he'd fancy that job.

They need a massive clear out in the summer but who’s going to buy their dregs.

It sounds stupid but they are in big trouble of going down I don’t think they will but my god they are bad.

Think it will be enough to save Arteta's job? I think they should give him the bullet before it's too late. Arteta's approach v. Chelsea was basically, "well, nothing else has worked, might as well give you kids a shot" and he got lucky. I don't think this batch of Arsenal players are secret champions but it's outrageous they are looking at a relegation fight.

Well he didn’t actually have much choice he had 2 players out due to Covid so he had to play the kids who have done well in Europa games.

I don’t think he’s been close to the sack felt he was going to get to at least the half way point in the season. You’ve took on a rookie coach you have to stick to the plan and he’s dealing with a lot of nonsense off the pitch with that squad.

I have to say his style of football won’t go down well with the Arsenal fans but he deserves a bit of time and support to clear out the problem players.

They’ve bounced back well over Xmas 3 wins in a row and the goals starting to flow.

Think in Smith-Rowe they’ve got another potential young star alongside Saka.

Wonderful balance and has made a huge difference since coming in.

Out of the cup so only 1 shot left at silverware this season with europa league.

The experienced players who came in for the cup game let them down again the future really is with the kids at that club.

Ozil has finally left and looks like they're brining in Odegaard on loan from Real Madrid for the rest of the season but there's no option to buy seems odd with Smith Rowe really announcing himself why bring in Odegaard? Can only be as a bit of cover and squad depth.

Sounds like they've lost one of their top talents Balogun who's out of contract this summer is reportedly off to Germany this kid was a superstar scorer in the youth teams seen as a player with massive potential but he's been frustrated by first team chances so looks like he's off to try his luck elsewhere. Looks like Leipzig have got him.

Wolves 2-1 Arsenal

2 men sent off for Arsenal.

The David Luiz one is crazy shouldn’t be a red card as it wasn’t deliberate and since it was a penalty I thought it wasn’t a red anymore.

Luiz sending off is unbelievable. What a joke

I'm so confused by the red card rule now I really thought they'd changed it so you only got a red if you blatantly trip the player with no intention of playing the ball.

This was from 2016 I don't think the red card rule has changed again.

Last night both Luiz and Bednerak don't even attempt a tackle yet they get a red card surely that isn't the intent of the rule.

The reason they changed it was to stop the triple jeopardy of penalty, red card and suspension for these last man challenges as keepers were getting sent off all the time when making genuine attempts for the ball and getting beaten by the attacker.

The rule seems outrageous but it's only been over the last two days?

There hasn't been any problem with this rule for 4 years and then suddenly everyone is confused over night. The FA must have made a silent change?

The things they need to clamp down on are the tactical fouls that Liverpool and City are the worse for committing. Not stuff like this.

I don't even know if Luiz was aware, if anything he was kicked, I've never seen such a ridiculous card.

There is an argument for a pen as both were put off getting a shot away, but not a red card.

The rule seems outrageous but it's only been over the last two days?

There hasn't been any problem with this rule for 4 years and then suddenly everyone is confused over night. The FA must have made a silent change?

The things they need to clamp down on are the tactical fouls that Liverpool and City are the worse for committing. Not stuff like this.

I don't know if the rule has changed or it's just pure coincidence that this happens twice in one night football has a weird way of doing that I don't recall many of these types of red cards being issued for denial of a goal scoring opportunity this season.

I assume both games had a different VAR it may well be that both interpreted the situation wrong.

Villa 1-0 Arsenal

Another close defeat seems to have lost a bit of momentum again.

9 points off top 4 could be more once all the weekends games are played.

Forget the top 4.

If teams below them win their games in hand they'll fall to 13th

Oh yeah top 4 is long gone now 1 point from the last 9 available has put the final nail in that coffin.

Think for them it’s focus on Europa league now and blood the kids got some very talented lads in that squad think they might as well stick with them.

The lack of goals from Aubameyang must be a growing concern they’ve committed so much money to him and he really doesn’t seem to have a spot in Arteta’s system. Same with Willian on massive wages hard to see him getting much playing time.

Aubameyang dropped for the derby for disciplinary reasons.

What’s odd is the manager confirmed it’s a disciplinary issue but has then named him on the bench.

Arsenal need to take advantage have massively dominated the first 25 mins.

Word is he turned up late today and that’s why he was benched.

Yeah made a good start Son off injured almost a lovely goal by Smith-Rowe

That is the most Erik Lamela goal that Erik Lamela will ever score.

Basically unstoppable and incredible improvisation to even try it totally caught everyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back