Midfield question

Red Warrior

I'm so bored with the Sancho, transfer and loinked player threads I thought I'd start something else, hopefully a little more interesting.

So with VDB now in the squad, can anyone see a midfield that would warrant a starting XI of Bruno, Pogba and VDB? Could this be an option against the Premiership minnows? There would be very little defensive cover playing with this three.

Thoughts?

The more I’ve thought about it the more I think we’ll play all 3 in most games. 2 true box to box midfielders in DVDB and Pogba. I think the only games we won’t see all three are the games against the Liverpool/City/Chelsea. Ole obviously has a plan to make it work. You don’t spend £40m on a midfielder like DVDB to put him on the bench.

No, I fail to see how you can make up a starting 11 from 3 players. interesting indeed.

I think if all fit for opening day of the season

DVDB Pogba

Greenwood Bruno Rashford

Martial

It’s damn attacking but it should be fun. And against Palace why not?

In most games I expect it'll be 2 from 3 from Bruno/VDB/Pogba then 1 of Matic/McTominay/Fred to give us our midfield 3 you might see the 3 attacking players all together in games where we're chasing a game and he takes off the holding player to really go all out.

Got a feeling we will see McTominay as the starting holding player rather than Matic at the start of the season they'll look to use Matic like Fergie used Scholes/Giggs later in the career try and get 30 good games out of him rather than 50 average ones if that makes sense.

The only way I see all 3 working is if Pogba plays as the deepest of the 3 in the centre like Carrick did but my worry with that is he's nowhere near good enough positionally to do that job on his own.

I think it'll be 2 from 3 with one of them on the bench to come on as a sub so when we have to make changes I expect that sub to be VDB for the first few months of the season to get him settled in.

I can't see the 3 together. VDB for me is cover for Pogba and Bruno so they can get adequate rest through the season.

I agree with JSP, can't see all 3 starting very often, if ever. We aren't strong enough a the back

Defo can see them all on last 20 mins if we are losing, should be good that but we'll be chancing it at the back big time.

Maybe instead of spending 108m on sancho we go out and try to get 2 attacking full backs and play a 4 4 2 diamond

We'd expose two slow CB and waste the £50m spent on Wan Bissaka whose an excellent RB.

AWB is certainly a great defender, lets not write him off going forward just yet. I'm hoping he will kick on a bit this season and have more of a finished product rather than looking like a rabbit in the headlights when in a crossing position.

Ole has started building a squad for 4-2-3-1 so he needs to stay on that path it's obviously what he believes in and it suits almost all our players ripping up the system now would be absolute bonkers!

Ole has started building a squad for 4-2-3-1 so he needs to stay on that path it's obviously what he believes in and it suits almost all our players ripping up the system now would be absolute bonkers!
So they need that right flank player then.

They must be out there. Just because I don't know then. For a start city have signed one I didn't really know and they already have one. In truth I still think united could find a way of getting sancho if they had the will to.

Come on, there must be wingers out there even if they are not Sancho standard. Nobody had really heard of that Reguilon until 2 weeks ago, then everyone saying he is the best LB in Europe lol.

We've been linked with Federico Chiesa from Fiorentina previously from memory and he is pretty good. You've got Douglas Costa, Ciro Immobile, Dembele, Florian Thauvin even Saint Mamimin at Newcastle! All worth a punt if you dont want to break the bank.

So they need that right flank player then.

Well he's got Greenwood who looks effective on the right then he's got a few others who are ok.

Yeah it's the obvious starting position to strengthen but finding solutions to that problem seem to be difficult as buying the best isn't easy.

I think the midfield setup is looking good maybe with a stronger holding midfielder we could allow Pogba more license to get forward and play more of a 4-3-3 but Bruno's goals/assists playing as a proper number 10 with license to go where he wants probably means asking Pogba to play a more disciplined role makes sense.

Of course we probably need around 4 players in the fullness of time but for me a right flank player is essential quickly

Of course we probably need around 4 players in the fullness of time but for me a right flank player is essential quickly

Been needed for a long time mate but doesn't seem to be to many around. In the Prem I'd say the 3 best in that spot are Salah, Sterling and Mahrez and we've got no chance of getting any of them. After that don't really rate anyone else's options as being that great tbh there's Moura at Spurs but never been that impressed by him. Arsenal spent a fortune on Pepe last summer and he looks pretty hit and miss. Be interested to see how Ziyech does at Chelsea.

Maybe they should have gone for Willian as a short term solution but always felt like he wanted to stay in London and he's on big money.

Nobody said it's easy. In truth I have no idea who but I don't know a lot about teams outside the premier league. There must be someone out there but as I have said before I think sancho is there for the taking if the glazers had the will to.

Nobody said it's easy. In truth I have no idea who but I don't know a lot about teams outside the premier league. There must be someone out there but as I have said before I think sancho is there for the taking if the glazers had the will to.

I think the Glazers have no issue with the club buying the player if the club has the money to do it.

They want to win they’re just never going to give us extra money to do it.

We can only spend what we’ve got and it sounds like we don’t have 110m to spend on one player right now

Do we have 110m to spend on 2 players?

Who knows but I doubt we’ve got 110m to spend full stop unless we can sell a load of the duds to raise cash.

We spent 40m on VDB my optimistic guess is the budget for this summer was 50m net so anything over that had to be made up in sales which so far total zero.

That 50m we spent on Bruno in Jan probably came out of the original summer budget.

I'll keep saying it, there is still 3 weeks and 1 day of the transfer window left. Due to Cofu**ingvid the transfer window is extended into the season, there will be signings and there will be a big flurry on the final day, as there always is. I think a few of the deadwoods will go then, Smalling included.

Don't panic!

United fans should panic. This was a big transfer window for the club and they've absolutely messed it up so far.

United fans should panic. This was a big transfer window for the club and they've absolutely messed it up so far.

How exactly have they messed it up?

The plans have clearly had to change because the world changed.

They've got Sanchez off the wages bill for good, they've signed a top young midfield player for a very reasonable price.

Yeah it's not what we hoped for 9 months ago but I doubt anyone apart from Chelsea and maybe Arsenal are particularly happy with their transfer window so far.

How exactly have they messed it up?

The plans have clearly had to change because the world changed.
They are in a better financial position that a lot of clubs.

They've made one signing. That's going to lead to another season of struggles and ultimately in my opinion disappointment.

They are in a better financial position that a lot of clubs.

They've made one signing. That's going to lead to another season of struggles and ultimately in my opinion disappointment.

So are you suggesting we borrow more money from the banks to buy a load of players?

So are you suggesting we borrow more money from the banks to buy a load of players?
I'm suggesting that if they want to actually contend then they need to buy. If they don't then they accept that they are now a team who sometimes make top 4 and other times don't.

Jesus christ, I hear the same things every single transfer window. Can you not just understand this is how Utd work?? They have been operating in this frustrating way for years, why do you think they will change it now. They usually get their man in the end anyway.

Jesus christ, I hear the same things every single transfer window. Can you not just understand this is how Utd work?? They have been operating in this frustrating way for years, why do you think they will change it now. They usually get their man in the end anyway.
They won't be getting their man because they won't pay the figure that Dortmund won't.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back