Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Keane Declares for England? | England Football Blog

Michael Keane of Manchester United has rejected Paul Doolin’s call-up to the Ireland U19 squad for their upcoming European Championship qualifiers.

Michael Keane is the twin brother of William Keane, winner of the U17 European Championships with England and currently an England U19 international. The two brothers currently play for Manchester United, with Michael a defender, and William a prolific striker.

Doolin commented, “Michael Keane was chosen, but late in the day called me to withdraw.”

The Keane brothers were born in Stockport, grew up there, and have an English mother. They are eligible for Ireland, however, through their father.

While Michael Keane has yet to come out and verbally declare his intention to play for England, the withdrawal could represent something of a coup for the three lions if he is to pursue his desire to link up with his brother in the England setup. One, it puts the brakes on William potentially swapping allegiances (he’s never given any indication of wishing to do so ), and two, Michael‘s fast-tracked development over the past few months has seen him feature on the bench for the Carling Cup as well as feature regularly at Reserve level for Manchester United – representing a huge benefit to enhancing the England backline.

He's really come long this season, been solid in defense and did not expect him to do so well with the reserves this season!

I'm not being harsh, I'm just saying what I think, but tonight was further proof that he's not United standard. Think what Fergie was trying to show to the other youngsters at the club by playing Keane was that hard work gets rewarded at this club.
I remeber Richard Eckersley getting a few games in the past and he had little or no ability either but he was a hardworker. Hope Cofie gets on the bench the next night.

Thought he did alright tonight didnt have much to do though.

true, can't say he isn't United standard yet. We've had players prove us wrong so many occasions, best example is Cleverley!

Michael Keane deserved Manchester United debut - Official Manchester United Website

Reserves boss Warren Joyce has praised United's latest first-team debutant Michael Keane.

The 18-year-old defender came off the bench at Aldershot, replacing Ezekiel Fryers, to become the fourth player to make his United bow in this season's competition.

Keane also managed to pip his twin brother Will to an appearance as the striker was an unused substitute at the EBB Stadium.

"Michael has had a really good season," enthused Joyce to ManUtd.com. "I can't remember him having a bad training session, let alone a bad game.

"He's a consistent kid who works very hard."

Another of the Reds' recent debutants, Larnell Cole, was also a substitute after getting a brief taste of action at Leeds in the previous round.

"Larnell Cole is another one who I can't remember having a bad session," added Joyce. "He and Michael are really consistent."

I though Fryers did better than Keane, primarily because of his speed. He was up against a quick winger last night who did not better him once. Fryers did not attack down the flank much, but I suspect he was told not to. For my money Fryers is the one to watch.

Fryers has got more of a chance as we don't have many LBs and Evra is aging and is struggling with form. There doesn't seem much confidence in Fabio at LB otherwise he'd play there more.

true, can't say he isn't United standard yet. We've had players prove us wrong so many occasions, best example is Cleverley!

I hope your right because I love when we produce talent but I can't see it happening with Keane. Again I'm not being harsh but I wouldn't have even had him starting on the youth cup team last season - Massacci was better in my opinion but I think there was some rule where you could only play a certain number of foreign players, might be wrong there but I think I heard that somewhere.

Clevereley was a far better prospect than Keane at the same age - Cleverley was included on the tour of South Africa and I think he scored aswell - think he was only 19 at the time.

i dont think many people rated Cleverley so highly until his Watford loan, that's when really started to impress. I think Keane has a shot.

not everyone :p but i stick to the point that i think he could break into the first team.

Looking at the present reserve team, who do you think will not make it for sure?

Vermijl, Masacci, Norwood, Jacob and Coll?

The reason all these guys are playing for us is that the coaches think they have the potential to make it here.

Don't think he was full time last season, coming on magnificently this season though, working hard in training, seems to have moved to CB now and has grown quite a bit.

Someone said the same about his size during highlights of the Stockport match before last night's reserve game.

Impressive interview with Keane just on MUTV. He came across as level headed.

I think he's got a great chance of making it now, easily the most improved player over the last 12 months, I don't think he was even a full-time Academy player for most of last season. From an OK right back to one of the best young CB's we have. Got plenty of time on his side too.

Think he'll struggle to get chances here though, needs some good loan moves to impress.

That's how Evans got his chance at United, went on loan to Sunderland at about Keane's age.

Keane unlikely to be on tour considering he's going to U19 Euros, maybe afterwards he'll join. Tunnicliffe will go on tour I think though. Giggs and Cleverley likely to go to the Olympics, although Cleverley may be told not to. If both do we'll be left with Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher and Anderson, the last 2 have question marks over whether they will go too. I'm not including Kagawa and Powell by the way as they're not really CM's.

Very interesting, had my doubts over whether Tunnicliffe would make it during last season, still do but there must be a feeling he's good enough if he doesn't go on loan next season, look forward to seeing how he gets on in the first team.

Tunnicliffe's quality on the ball is an aspect I question. Maybe intelligence too. He has time on his side to improve though - hopefully he will.

He's pretty decent on the ball we could do with a tough tackler like him

I think tough tacklers of Tunnicliffe's ilk are becoming outdated. The top teams don't really use them. He's decent on the ball, but I think limited.

Phelan said after the game that he and Lingard are not expected to go on loan next season. "They develop fine here right now. Maybe we should se how it goes here from now until xmas." - from United.no

Michael Keane happy to take part - Official Manchester United Website

While Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand reprised their tried and tested partnership in central defence against Valerenga, rookie defender Michael Keane was making his first senior start in an unfamiliar left-back role.

The absence of Patrice Evra, who returned to Manchester to be with his pregnant wife during her labour, gave Keane an unexpected outing, but he savoured every moment of the Reds' goalless draw in Norway.

"It was strange," the youngster told MUTV. "I've not played there [left-back] for over a year now, but I thought I adapted quite well to the position and Rio and all the other players helped me out a lot, so I thought I did quite well.

"They've all got great experience and they're great players to play with. I grew up watching all of them and to play in the same team as them is great. I really enjoyed it."

Club captain Vidic, meanwhile, was suitably impressed with Keane's endeavours, admitting: "I'm glad he's had a full ninety minutes. He was confident on the ball and it's a big change from the youth academy, obviously, and I think he did really well."

Whether or not Keane is involved in the Reds' next outing, against Barcelona on Wednesday, he is merely relishing the chance to be a part of the senior squad's pre-season preparations.

"It's been good so far," he said. "We've only been here a day but we had a good time around the hotel and the game today was a great experience. It [the Barcelona game] is a great occasion for everyone and it'll just be a great game to watch, never mind play in if I get a chance. I'm looking forward to it."

I think it would be very strange if he didn't play tomorrow, couldn't understand deciding against loaning him out and then not using him when we're short at centre back.

He's got to play imo not even sure we can risk Evans in this game given the current situation Rio can't play 2 games in a week so we need to see what this lad has got to see if he could play in some of the easier league games until Smalling is back as I really don't want to see Carrick at CB again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back