Michael Carrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

billabog5

Banned
Forgive me if there is another active thread about him that I missed but I feel he is the player that polarises Utd fans like no other since Berbatov.. I recently had a debate with one Utd fan who thinks Carrick is the best midfielder in England & the best DM in the premier league & I have mates who cant wait to see him gone

Personally I think his best position now is CB if Utd played 3 at the back, otherwise he becomes a squad player for me. His strong suit is organising & reading the game, I just don't think he has the pace or physicality to be a top class DM & he lacks the skill [& pace again] to be the type of playmaker who will take Utd to the next level. In big games when good teams pressure high he simply cant get himself out of trouble & eventually disappears out of the game

I do believe he has a decent passing game but he rarely uses it. In the past so much was made of how he retains possession, but Utd went to Chelsea without him & had around 70% possession & as much as the stats have been used to show we are better off with him in the team following the 3 straight losses, they were down to not scoring, you cannot win a game unless you score & that is not one of Carricks strong suits, either scoring or creating.

For me, Nemanja Matic has set the bar for DM's, & just as Chelsea had to buy him back, I feel Utd need to do the same with Pogba. SAF's 2 colossal errors were bringing Moyes in & letting Pogba go

In all fairness, you can make a youtube collection to make any player look good when every single minute they play is televised. I was a Sunday league hacker & even I could have made a compilation to make me look special from the few games that were recorded in which I played.

My god you are comparing carrick to a Sunday league hacker. I think I have seen it all. If you can't see his importance to the team then you need to go back and see us in the early part of the season where we were struggling with our play.

Then again you compare him to a Sunday league hacker so wouldn't give much importance to whatever you say.

You need to give your head a wobble. Carrick is hugely important to us. Of course at his age we need to be trying to replace him now but that shouldn't stop us from recognising how important he is to the team.

Football hipsters around the globe will be after your head after saying that.

I don't think you particularity need plenty of pace of physicality to play as a DM. He does go missing against big teams when we are under the cosh a bit.

You was right to start a new thread, billabog5. We don't want megathreads. We use player match discussion threads (http://www.stretfordendarising.com/forum/f6/michael-carrick-match-discussion-thread-2014-15-a-7472/) during the season. Those threads will be closed soon.

Carrick is one of my United favourite players of the last ten years. That will tell you how I feel about his contribution.

Playing in a three man midfield has helped him this season and has allowed him to dictate. His ability to dictate play was missed in the three games where we failed to score, especially against Everton and Palace. He should be a squad player next season, we don't want to be over-reliant on a 34 year old, with increasing injury worries.

Does he still polarise?

I don't think so now. I think he won most people over about three years ago. He has been holding the midfield together for those three years.

My god you are comparing carrick to a Sunday league hacker. I think I have seen it all. If you can't see his importance to the team then you need to go back and see us in the early part of the season where we were struggling with our play.

Then again you compare him to a Sunday league hacker so wouldn't give much importance to whatever you say.
Whoah there fella

If you cant see my point on youtube clips then you need some lessons in comprehension. I will make it more simple for you. I could put together highlight reels of Anderson to make him look World class, or I could put together a highlight reel of DiMaria from last season . You see where I am going with this ? 2 minute highlight reels are not a case for a player being special.

Utd struggled early in the season because LVG was trying to change the way we played & because he was making some ludicrous selection decisions, not because Carrick was missing . Our late season struggles were about not being able to score goals, not about us not keeping possession, which has been Carrick's forte. I don't want hims sold, I just think we need an upgrade

One of the most important players of the last 10 years for us. Difficult season last year but has shown his quality again this year when fit, problem there is he's had 3 or 4 injury layoffs this season which is new for him. For years we said "we're screwed if Carrick gets injured", we've seen that this season. A replacement is needed but when fit and if he's in good form he should still be first choice alongside a new signing. Ability wise he can still cut it but his body is giving up on him, no longer Mr reliable, 40-50 games a season player we need.

Whoah there fella

If you cant see my point on youtube clips then you need some lessons in comprehension. I will make it more simple for you. I could put together highlight reels of Anderson to make him look World class, or I could put together a highlight reel of DiMaria from last season . You see where I am going with this ? 2 minute highlight reels are not a case for a player being special.

Utd struggled early in the season because LVG was trying to change the way we played & because he was making some ludicrous selection decisions, not because Carrick was missing . Our late season struggles were about not being able to score goals, not about us not keeping possession, which has been Carrick's forte. I don't want hims sold, I just think we need an upgrade

I can understand your point very well. But we aren't talking about Anderson or a piss poor Di Maria here. We are talking about Carrick here who has been the mainstay of our midfield for the past three seasons now. If you can't see that they you need to have a word with yourself. If he wasn't special he wouldn't have been so influential for us. You just have to look at our record with him and without him to understand that.

I can understand your point very well. But we aren't talking about Anderson or a piss poor Di Maria here. We are talking about Carrick here who has been the mainstay of our midfield for the past three seasons now. If you can't see that they you need to have a word with yourself. If he wasn't special he wouldn't have been so influential for us. You just have to look at our record with him and without him to understand that.

Overall the record doesn't tell us anything, if you are using the tiny sample size of the games this season then they deliver a false truth. Just like a few seasons ago when Rooney couldn't stop scoring headers, that didn't make him the best header of the ball in the prem, it was simply an anomaly . Ultimately its about opinions, & I feel Utd need an upgrade in this position & I feel Utd have been weak in midfield in general for several seasons. The stats show Matic, Schneiderlin, Coquelin & Jedinak all performed way better than carsick thgis season & on results with or without a player , Mcnair was the player Utd missed the most in that regard going off the stats

The main argument for Carrick has always been how he maintains possession, but when you see Utd averaging 70% possession without him then that argument cant hold up any more. If Utd don't get a player like DeBruyne or Pogba then I prefer Blind in that role , he has a better engine, contributes more in the final 3rd & is still young enough to make that role his own.

This is all about opinions mate. BTW, DiMaria is an absolute different class to Carrick, which is why I used him AND Anderson, & in the interests of fair reporting, I was probably Andersons biggest fan & felt, still feel, that had he managed to stay away from the buffet , stay fit & stay focused he had the ability to be a great CM

Last edited:
Listen I am not a number cruncher. I cannot be arsed to go through stats. I believe what I see on the Telly. And frankly we look much better with him in the team. He does not only maintain possession he also wins it back for us. Thus stopping attacks from building.

We all know you tube can make a bad player look good but that tends to be used when you are linked with an unknown player. This is a player that has been with us for many years and has held the midfield together for three. You make some valid points. Anderson had the potential to become a top midfield player but Injuries a b d a lack of self discipline put paid to that. I also agree that at Carrick age we will have seen the best of him, he certainly isn't going to get better. That still doesn't take away how important he has been to the team over the last few years and unless we bring in top replacements he will continue to be. Overall yes we need to be looking at a quality replacement for him but show him the respect he deserves.

Listen I am not a number cruncher. I cannot be arsed to go through stats. I believe what I see on the Telly. And frankly we look much better with him in the team. He does not only maintain possession he also wins it back for us. Thus stopping attacks from building.

I use both, but at the end of the day its just my opinion mate, . BTW, his tackle stats are very poor :)d . Seems there are more fans of Carrick here than I have come across elsewhere , I have in the past been almost middle ground regarding him but here I come across anti-carrick, which I am not, I just think to compete with Chelsea, City & even Arsenal we do need a better option, particularly given his age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back