Messi to leave Barcelona

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

555m euro over 4 years.

Messi believes the contract was leaked by Barca to the press.

Surely he's off in the summer.

Barca also reported to be close to bankruptcy after years of terrible decisions.

who really gives a f.
it's another nothing story, everyone knew he was earning loads, it doesn't really matter much once you get to those levels.

Matters in terms of how financially screwed Barca are.

not really, it's not going to change anything. If they hadn't paid him it he would have left and won nothing.

They've wasted about that on awful signings haven't they.

Barca are just trying to discredit him because he doesn't want to stay, and that will never happen, their fans adore him, and rightly so.

They're just preparing themselves for the departure when everyone cries about how can they let Messi go they can say he earns 100m euros a year and the club is skint.

None of this stuff is new news anyway it was all leaked years ago just seems odd that it's made it into the papers again.

For what it's worth I think he ends up staying.

I don't think there is anyway he stays this summer. They aren't gonna win anything for a while and he'll want to go out with some trophies and the atmosphere is toxic there.

Where's he going to go?

Everyone is skint and who wants the hassle he brings? He's still a magical player but you're basically forcing yourself to destroy your own squad harmony for 2 years to accomodate him and his wages.

The only club I can see making it work is PSG but for that they'd have to let Mbappe or Neymar go.

Just can't see him rocking up at another club in Europe.

Beckham would wet himself to sign him

Isn't there talk of city for 2 years then onto New York?

I'm sure MLS would try and give him a Beckham style deal with all the bells and whistles that Beckham got shares in a future expansion side and all that stuff but would that appeal to Messi?

The City one is interesting they are at a kind of win now point in time with Aguero likely to move on this summer when his contracts up they could take a short term move and take put Messi in that side to try and win a CL especially if someone like Haaland decides to stay in Germany for another year or two.

Messi wherever he goes now is going to have to take a huge pay cut any player looking at new contracts is surely going to have to accept Covid provisions within them.

It's hard to even say for sure that fans will be back in stadiums for all of next season you'd hope with Vaccination programmes up and running across europe we'll be in a much better place in 6 months time but surely mass gatherings and public events will be the last thing to come back.

propably, until most of the planet is vaccinated I would think some restrictions will exist.

All the vaccination stuff between the EU and UK last week, got on my nerves, unless the whole planet is done it;s pointless, the risk of a super variant will be on everyones minds then we are back to square one. But that for another place.

Messi, I can see City being interested, but yeah his wages will drop by a fair bit

Yeah that was just everyone trying to be bully boys and look strong the EU behaviour was pretty shocking especially towards Ireland they did not come out of it very well. UK because we can control our borders maybe gives us a better chance to get some normality back quicker than Europe but given the way our government acts I don't see hard border controls being something they want to go for due to economic impact.

Yeah it's a crossroads moment for Messi Barca really look in a huge hole that will take years to climb out of so does he try and have one last crack at a european cup with another club in Europe or does he move to America for another big pay day or even go back to Argentina. For the stay in Europe he needs to join a team that are ready to win now maybe he teams up with Ronaldo at Juve for one big finale!

There's always been talk of retirement at Newells Old Boys where he started his career so maybe he'll look to give them a year or two.

I think it shows Messi basically holding Barca to ransom. And I don't think he's going anywhere. Moving to the MLS would be a disaster for everyone.

Don't think it would be good for the league? He's arguably still in the top 5 players in the world

I think Messi would get fed up with his team mates pretty quickly he’d still be miles better than any player in MLS and while the standard has got better over the last decade it would be way to easy for him. I’m not sure what joy he would get out of it.

I'm not sure he'd go to South or North America yet, I think his family will stay in Barca, I think I read his kids are really happy in school there.

Yeah that’s what makes me think he probably stays with Barca his family are happy there and given all the Covid stuff going on he might sign another year or two and stay put.

Don't think it would be good for the league? He's arguably still in the top 5 players in the world
No doubt he'd bring magic to every match, and it would be a form of magic the MLS rarely (if ever) experienced. It would be a big boost for MLS commercially but I think Messi would actually have a hard time adjusting to the way that league is run. The constant travel is something the foreign players are surprised at. LA to NY is 3,000 miles, for instance. I think it would be really frustrating for him on a technical level, the physicality and lack of technical skills would be a shock, like if he dropped into the Championship. Other than marketing and TV rights, I see no reason for him to approach MLS. Those matches when he would play would be a circus, like when Beckham arrived. It would be all about endorsement deals but I think he'd be wasted as a player. Everyone who has any interest in football already knows him and already watches him. Every MLS fan has a foreign club or two they watch in addition to their local.

I also think the draw of the MLS used to be you could live in a country where you weren't the centre of attention everywhere you go like he is in Barcelona going into town to anything for him must be an absolute nightmare. However, Messi is beyond that sort of fame now as football has grown in America he would be recognised a lot more than say David Villa or Frank Lampard were so he maybe wouldn't have that anonimity that was a draw for some players. Think of how different life in LA was for Gerrard compared to Liverpool going from everyone knowing you to practically no one must be a bit of a relief.

Messi I think will want a sporting challenge if he's going to leave Barca and up sticks he needs a challenge that's worthwhile so it's either try and win another european cup at another top european club or go back to Argentina to be a hometown hero.

Contract expires today and still hasn't signed his new one officially a free agent.

Think it's all agreed they just can't announce it just yet as they need to reduce their wage bill as they're over the limit with La Liga.

No doubt he'll be taking a big pay cut.

Barca have got a big job on their hands to get players out this summer they've got way to many attacking players in that squad.

New deal apparently agreed to get around the wage issue they’ve given him a 5 year deal at 34 years old he will be taking a big pay cut as a result but I’m sure Barca will find a way of getting him a boat load of cash.

Barcelona just announced Messi is leaving. City bound?

It'll be on a free too. He'd never signed the 5 year deal that was announced.

Absolute scenes!

Got to be PSG or City right? Bit to early to go to the MLS or back to Argentina I would of thought.

Even though it's a free, rumour of a signing fee being 70m. Don't think even city can afford it, unless they forget Kane

Sounds ripe for PSG with Neymar. But then no Pogba.

Unless he semi retired to the US

If United had any ambition we would be in for him no mention of it. How far we have fallen

I wouldn't fork out all that money on Messi. 500 grand a week min plus signing on fee for a a 34 year old

We shouldn't go near him. He wants a 5 year deal on 700k a week. No thank you.
Based on what you have just said I agree I never knew that just back from work so not seen the news. Looks like he will end up in China then

Lots going on in the background here. Madrid and Barca still chasing the super League.

La Liga announcing new investment which each club receive 200m. Madrid have not signed off on it as they weren't consulted.

Barca are saying to them how will your investor feel about investing in a league with no Messi.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back