Messi at PSG

Mr C

Not exactly having the best of starts, didn't shake Poch's hand when he was subbed yesterday either.

He needs to kick on or the Messi vs Ronaldo debate will be over, he needs to do it in another league. And it's a weak league compared to Ronaldo in Italy and now England again.

Don't think his career will be judged by what he does at PSG to be honest his legacy is secure.

He's always been a stroppy little sod and difficult to manage everyone at Barcelona was terrified of him.

Do think Poch has got a real job on his hands with that squad not only is it huge but he's got 3 lads up top who are all mega stars and none of them are interested in doing any defensive work for the team.

Of course his legacy is secure, his record is superb, I didn't say it wasn't
But Ronaldo fans can point to the fact he's done it in 3 leagues, one of them twice. My point was purely on the Ronaldo Vs Messi debate

Well that debate is one that has been done to death.

Ronaldo will probably win it on stats but having watched both play Messi is just something else but I can never be neutral in that debate because Ronaldo played for my team and will probably be the best player I will ever see wear a Utd shirt.

Football fans have been spoilt watching these two every week for over a decade now when they are gone it could be decades before we see anyone get close to what they've done in the game.

could be decades before we see anyone get close to what they've done in the game.
What about Haaland? I think he’s got to be considered the next in line. Since 2019 he’s got 64 goals in 64 games for his club(s) and 12 in 15 for his country.

What about Haaland? I think he’s got to be considered the next in line. Since 2019 he’s got 64 goals in 64 games for his club(s) and 12 in 15 for his country.

Needs to do it for a decade to be in the conversation for me.

Football is litered with players who shined brightly for short periods the Messi/Ronaldo thing stands out because they kept up these standards for so long basically dominating the elite level of the game season after season after season.

Haaland and Mbappe look like the two will become the stars of the game over the next decade but to be measured against Messi/Ronaldo they need to maintain their current levels over a long period and to be honest deliver those numbers in stronger leagues.

Yeah I agree I guess I was more asking if you think he will achieve long term success but that’s a ridiculous question really because anything can happen such as a big injury for example.

Think for Haaland the important thing will be staying injury free but he also needs to pick his moves wisely during his career. He could probably do with dumping his agent I'm sure he's very good at his job old Mino but I don't think as a top player you want to be attached to him.

So far I think he's done that moving to Salzburg and then Dortmund he's resisted the lure of the super clubs but it's obvious this summer he will move again it's really important that when he does he joins the right club that is going to be built for success over the next 5 years.

I'd say on paper the best move for him next would be Bayern to replace Lewendowski but my gut says he ends up at Madrid with Mbappe next season.

Just read an interview by Fergie in 2015.

To paraphrase, Ronaldo could go to Millwall, Doncaster, anywhere and score a Hat trick. Messi is a Barcelona player.

Early in Messi's PSG career of course, but based on these few games, Fergie was right as per :cool:

@jsp before you jump on this, I know it's nonsense :p but interesting none the less

Fergie is always going to hype up his boy.

For me when it comes to them two its what do you perceive the better player. If you want someone that dazzles you with the unbelievable that you could never pull off its Messi. If you want someone that is the all round better player it's Ronaldo.

We could all given a 1000 tries pull off what Ronaldo does. We couldn't pull off what Messi does with the ball sometimes. But if I was to put you in charge of a league 2 side and say you've got one signing to make a difference it's anyone in the world everyone is choosing Ronaldo over Messi.

I don't think you can split them. Just enjoy them both in their different ways. For me I'll always say Ronaldo. A Barca fan will always say Messi. But they are the two best players of my lifetime. By a country mile.

I was talking to an old boy in the pub today though and they were showing a Greaves documentary and he said for him he's the greatest goalscorer he's ever seen used to dance round players for fun and smash it in when the ref wasn't on the attackers side.

I always say it looks completely natural for Messi, whereas Ronaldo looks more like hours on the training ground.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back