Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea 2018/19

Seems like it’s finally done deal, Zola returning to the club as his assistant manager.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal - 18th August 2018

Played 2
Won 2
Drawn 0
Lost 0
Points 6
Goals For 6
Goals Against 2

Premier League: Newcastle United 1-2 Chelsea - 26th August 2018

Played 3
Won 3
Drawn 0
Lost 0
Points 9
Goals For 8
Goals Against 3

Seems to be settling into the new team quite well still think they’re learning the system but they’re getting the wins on the board.

Last win at Newcastle was 7 years ago.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-0 Bournemouth - 1st September 2018

Played 4
Won 4
Drawn 0
Lost 0
Points 12
Goals For 10
Goals Against 3

Premier League: Chelsea 4-1 Cardiff City - 15th September 2018

Played 5
Won 5
Drawn 0
Lost 0
Points 15
Goals For 14
Goals Against 4

Hard not to be convinced by them so far if they can keep Hazard fit they’ve got a shot.

Don’t think they’ve been really tested yet think the better sides could rip that defence apart, Arsenal did it but didn’t punish them for it.

Premier League: West Ham United 0-0 Chelsea - 23rd September 2018

Played 6
Won 5
Drawn 1
Lost 0
Points 16
Goals For 14
Goals Against 4

Was a frustrating game for Chelsea but West Ham seem to have found a formation that works for them now after a stuttering start to the season

Premier League: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool - 29th September 2018

Played 7
Won 5
Drawn 2
Lost 0
Points 17
Goals For 15
Goals Against 5

They look back to the team they were in Conte’s first season everyone together Hazard firing and look like a serious title contender.

Premier League: Southampton 0-3 Chelsea - 7th October 2018

Played 8
Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 0
Points 20
Goals For 18
Goals Against 5

Looking more and more like the perfect fit every game this wasn't a bad group of players easy to forget 12 months previously they'd won the title by a mile they just lost their way a bit under Conte which is something that seems to happen at that club when they win the league.

Looks like they've picked a manager who suits the players and the players are taking on board his instructions quickly and no one has really worked out how to stop it yet.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2018

Played 9
Won 6
Drawn 3
Lost 0
Points 21
Goals For 20
Goals Against 7

Premier League: Burnley 0-4 Chelsea - 28th October 2018

Played 10
Won 7
Drawn 3
Lost 0
Points 24
Goals For 24
Goals Against 7

Premier League: Chelsea 3-1 Crystal Palace - 4th November 2018

Played 11
Won 8
Drawn 3
Lost 0
Points 27
Goals For 27
Goals Against 8

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Chelsea - 24th November 2018

Played 13
Won 8
Drawn 4
Lost 1
Points 28
Goals For 28
Goals Against 11

I think that results been coming for them now Spurs have highlighted a weakness and swamped Jorginho will others be brave and follow it because you need to press him very aggressively and not many clubs have the players that Spurs have to do it.

It’s high risk but high reward if you get it right.

Chelsea been giving up lots of chances this season and not being punished until Saturday when Spurs ripped them apart.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-0 Fulham - 2nd December 2018

Played 14
Won 9
Drawn 4
Lost 1
Points 31
Goals For 20
Goals Against 11

Do we think Chelsea will stick it out with Sarri?

It was such a big change in style from Mourinho/Conte to Sarri and the fans are getting a bit frustrated with it but you kind of feel like it's going to take a year maybe two for him to put his stamp on it. Chelsea aren't really that sort of club when it comes to giving a manager time it's put a trophy in the cabinet or get out.

They clearly need a goalscorer and they've got a problem with Hazard being a bit will he stay will he go and if they missed CL again this season there's going to be restrictions on spending as the days of Roman putting his hand in his pocket are over.

I think Sarri is going to have to find a few solutions to his problems from within as while the club will back a manager with a few of his picks the days of them making sweeping changes for every manager are long gone.

There's also another potential issue that the club are preparing for a transfer ban from FIFA over the signing of young players it's no longer a case of if but when they get the ban they're hoping that like the Spanish clubs they'll be given this summer to sort themselves out with the 2 window ban covering Winter 2020 & Summer 2020.

I've not really seen them play, I read they are basically a 1 man team.

Chelsea are a funny club, they have had huge investment but don't seem to have moved on, no real youth coming through, no investement in the ground/training/youth facilites. I think they were looking at moving ground but that seems to have gone quiet.
I still wonder why players go there, the fans aren't great and the club isn't really either.
I can see the club dropping slowly down the table. They don't seem to be moving in the same direction as the other top 6 clubs.

So I foresee tough times ahead for them.

It's a bit more than a 1 man team but Hazard is massive for them from an attacking point of view. Without him they are very weak creatively but you also have Alonso and Kante who have been key players but in terms of the playing style this season everything revolves around Jorgino who is the hub of the team.

They are producing world class young players but it seems the academy is structured with a buy, develop, sell structure rather than buy, develop, use. However, in the last 2 seasons young players are starting to get more of a chance in the first team.

I think the early season form mislead people the bubble has burst a little bit but we saw vs City that they can be very dangerous and they really should have beaten Liverpool earlier in the season as well. Early in the season the chances they were giving the opposition were not being punished now they are and teams have probably worked out how to keep Hazard under control a bit better.

I think in the big games where it's back and forth they are fine but against the weaker sides they remind me of Utd under LVG lots of passing but not really going anywhere they haven't quite worked out how to have that cutting edge and break though teams.

The ground is on hold due to the owner's residency issues he's not prepared to spend £1bn developing the ground and surrounding area if the government aren't going to give him a visa to live here so it sounds like that's all been shelved.

As for players going there they go because Chelsea still pay good wages compared to clubs in europe, they still win trophies and London attracts players as it's a great place to live if you've got a lot of money. The training ground and facilities are also world class plus they know it's often a quick stop along the way it's not a club where players stay for ages they pop in and out for a few years.

@jsp - I agree about the structure, such a shame when you have the homegrown academy talent (Ruben Loftus Cheek) but instead go and buy £40 million Bakayoko - Who was pony at chelsea !

Hudson Odoi needs a chance, just like Rashford got his - albeit through our injury ridden team at the time.

@jsp - I agree about the structure, such a shame when you have the homegrown academy talent (Ruben Loftus Cheek) but instead go and buy £40 million Bakayoko - Who was pony at chelsea !

Hudson Odoi needs a chance, just like Rashford got his - albeit through our injury ridden team at the time.

Yeah it wasn't just Bakayoko they spent 35m that summer on Drinkwater too which made no sense why not just keep Loftus-Cheek and give him a chance.

I do wonder if Sarri will give Loftus-Cheek more a chance in the second half of the season as you'd hope he's picked up the tactical stuff now surely he's a better solution than Barkley?

I think he's getting his chance now but the issue is these kids have seen Sancho so they don't want to get tied down on long deals think these two play together in England youth teams. Chelsea want him to sign a new deal then go on loan the reports are he's said no because he's got clubs like Bayern saying you are coming here to compete in our first team we think you are ready. This is exactly how we lost Pogba first time around he thought he was ready we didn't he rejected the deal and left.

Some Chelsea fans made a good point on a podcast the other day if they really want this kid to stay prove it to him over the next 6 months by playing him and let him show that he's ready then try and sign him up in the summer. If he still refuses you'll still get a good fee for him because he'll have 12 months on his deal but by the sound of it this kid is the real deal if Bayern are preparing 30m bids for a kid who's never really played top flight football there's obviously a reason.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-1 Newcastle United - 12th January 2019

Played 22
Won 14
Drawn 5
Lost 3
Points 47
Goals For 40
Goals Against 17

Premier League: Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea - 19th January 2019

Played 23
Won 14
Drawn 5
Lost 4
Points 47
Goals For 40
Goals Against 19

He’s made a ballsy call with his comments after the game totally questioning the players mentality and spirit as professionals.

They are a strange group once they get momentum they are flying almost unstoppable but in hard times they shrink.

His comments go one of two ways the players get fired up and come out swinging or he’s lost them forever and he’ll be gone in a few weeks.

Some strange results this mid week round City/Chelsea losing away and Utd/Liverpool drawing at home.

Level on points with Arsenal now and only 2 ahead of Utd been a hell of a swing in the last few weeks.

Premier League: Manchester City 6-0 Chelsea - 10th February 2019

Played 26
Won 15
Drawn 5
Lost 6
Points 47
Goals For 45
Goals Against 29

Their last 4 games

3-0 win
4-0 loss
5-0 win