Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur 2019/20

Sideshow Bob

Thread to discuss Mauricio Pochettino and Tottenham Hotspur in the 2019/20 season.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Aston Villa - 10th August 2019

Dropped Vertonghen yesterday apparently he’s another going through contract disputes with the club and .poch takes a hard line on this.

Ndombele looks to have settled straight in

I think they’ll be comfortably 3rd closer to the top 2 than they were last season

They were pretty poor until Eriksen came on, they need to keep him.

Premier League: Leicester City 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 21st September 2019

Played 6
Won 2
Drawn 2
Lost 2
Points 8
Goals For 12
Goals Against 8

Harmony seems to have gone to many players not happy with contract wanting out.

Trippier mentioned it when he left sounds like the unity has gone.

I reckon next time the opportunity comes Poch walks.

Rumour going round that the spurs squad is split because vertonghen shagged Eriksen's missus and kane was furious and tried to hit vertonghen

Hard to come back from that.

Sounds like things are all over the place at Spurs behind the scenes.

Squad has grown old and maybe gone stale together

A few players clearly looking to cash in with big deals that Spurs won’t sign off on as they can’t break the wage structure.

Their form in 2019 isn’t much better than Utd that fluke run to the CL final really covered up some huge problems that don’t seem to have been resolved over the summer.

Their form in 2019 is worse than Uniteds. We’re 5th in the 2019 form table. They’re 8th. The media just hasn’t jumped on their back....yet. That result signals that though.

Their form in 2019 is worse than Uniteds. We’re 5th in the 2019 form table. They’re 8th. The media just hasn’t jumped on their back....yet. That result signals that though.

Getting to a CL final and finishing top 4 keeps the wolves from the door plus our stats are hugely skewed by the first 3 months of 2019 the Ole’s at the wheel era.

That result will see more focus but Spurs in crisis doesn’t generate the same sort of clicks as a utd in crisis story just the way the media works. Win, lose or draw the Utd result will be the biggest result of the weekend.

He should walk... to Old Trafford.

I don’t get the clamour for him. He’s got an amazing squad. He’s done nothing with it. He’s got the second best squad in the league. He finished 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Obviously a good manager and helped take Spurs to the next level but proving he’s hit a brick wall and can’t make the step up and that’s with a better squad than we are going to have for the next 3/4 years if we’re bringing in 3 a summer.

don’t get the clamour for him. He’s got an amazing squad. He’s done nothing with it. He’s got the second best squad in the league. He finished 3rd in a 2 horse race.
A team that he's built...

He's turned them from a club who didn't finish in the top 4 every year to one that does.

That isn't to be sniffed at.

He probably did miss the great chance to win the title when Leicester won it but so did others it's fair to say since then it's been tough Chelsea and City twice have posted massive points totals but Spurs have kept themselves in contention in the CL spots every season something the other chasing clubs haven't done.

The issue I think at Spurs is they've gone a bit stale there hasn't been much turnover of players and the ones who've come in recently to replace players who've moved on haven't really improved them.

The thing is for me, with the calls for Poch to be united manager.

We don't want to be a club that finishes top 4. We want to win the league, we aren't Spurs.

So if you don't want Ole, Poch has done nothing to prove he's the right man either.

However, Ole's had one window, he's shipped out some rubbish and our squad is unbalanced. Give him a chance ffs. It doesn't matter who is in charge, this club is not winning the league for a while. Give him a chance, he needs to get the players in and out for the style he wants to play. At the moment he's just trying to get the best out of a bad bunch.

Ilike the players he;s brought in, a few more windows like that and we'll be ok.

I think it's worth remembering how little Spurs have spent in comparison to their rivals. The graphic is from October 2018.

DqsuEM2X0AABWUe

I think we need to get a grip of ourselves a bit here. Poch v ole when we didn't have a manager in place I probably take poch. However we made the decision to appoint him earlier than we should and it would be hugely unfair to sack him after one transfer window. Pretty sure if we appointed poch after 12 months we would want him sacked too.

I think it's worth remembering how little Spurs have spent in comparison to their rivals. The graphic is from October 2018.

DqsuEM2X0AABWUe

I think that graphic can be misleading when you inherit a world class striker it saves you a lot of money and I think I'm right in saying he inherited a lot of the players he used in his first few seasons.

Spurs have been clever in the market but not sure how much of that was down to Poch.

The modern managers should be judged in the performances on the pitch not the money side of things because they have very little involvement in that at most clubs.

The thing is for me, with the calls for Poch to be united manager.

We don't want to be a club that finishes top 4. We want to win the league, we aren't Spurs.

So if you don't want Ole, Poch has done nothing to prove he's the right man either.

However, Ole's had one window, he's shipped out some rubbish and our squad is unbalanced. Give him a chance ffs. It doesn't matter who is in charge, this club is not winning the league for a while. Give him a chance, he needs to get the players in and out for the style he wants to play. At the moment he's just trying to get the best out of a bad bunch.

Ilike the players he;s brought in, a few more windows like that and we'll be ok.

Well Pochettino has over a sustained period moved Tottenham forward and improved results for them think it's 3 seasons in a row in the top 4, a league cup final and a champions league final. Utd are not a top 4 club right now to get back to the top we need to be a top 4 club again as by doing that you can attract the better players as you have more to offer and it helps retain your current players.

Ole has nothing on his CV that says he can move this club forward that is a brutal truth of it we are all hoping not expecting as he's not done it before.

It's easy to criticise Pochettino but Spurs have let him down in the last 2 summers he got no players in 2018 and in 2019 they only signed 2 players I think so he's not been able to build on that early success and go to the next level.

I would be very surprised if Pochettino didn't have a say on transfers at Spurs. He will have identified the type of player to fit in his system.

A team that he's built...

Did he do that in one window? Or 5 seasons? I’m glad you can now see a trophyless manager deserves time to prove himself.

Also the spine of their side Lloris Vertonghen Erickson Kane were all Spurs players before Poch was manager. Still 5 years later over half of their best starting 11 aren’t Poch signings.

in 2019 they only signed 2 players I think so he's not been able to build on that early success and go to the next level.

4. One more than Ole was allowed.

Ndombele
Sessegnon
Lo Celso
Jack Clarke

You’re talking £150m spent. I don’t think you can say they didn’t back him this summer. (The Lo Celso deal if officially currently a loan but it’s with a guaranteed purchase of £51m on top of the £15m paid)

I would be very surprised if Pochettino didn't have a say on transfers at Spurs. He will have identified the type of player to fit in his system.

Don't get me wrong managers still have a strong say yes or no in terms of ability and final sign off but they're not the ones doing the deals and agreeing the prices so I don't think the financial stats are ones they should be judged by.

A manager will now say I need a right back who can do this this and this the scouts go and generate a list of the players who fit the brief, the manager will no doubt review this list and rank them it then goes to the negotiator guys to see if they can get the players within the budgets. Spurs have been pretty slick at this in the past but they've not had to many big pay offs in recent years.

I think Spurs benefitted from being a "small player" for a few years able to get good prices now they're in the big leagues they can't plead poverty anymore so 10 years ago they grabbed Dembele from Fulham for £15m now they're paying £60m for Ndombele from Lyon that isn't Poch's fault that's just the market.

Don't get me wrong managers still have a strong say yes or no in terms of ability and final sign off but they're not the ones doing the deals and agreeing the prices so I don't think the financial stats are ones they should be judged by.

No, obviously not, however he has Spurs competing at a high level and it's been done on a shoe string budget in comparison to his rivals. Could he achieve more with better financial resourses? We won't know the answer until he moves on from Spurs.

It's also worth remembering that he was able to implement his system with inferior players at Southampton.

for me it will be the same thing, he'll get the same grief after a year.

Fans just don't give managers a chance these days. Everyone wants instant success. Sad really, we'll never get anywhere. Just rebuild the squad with every new manager every 18 months.

Did he do that in one window? Or 5 seasons? I’m glad you can now see a trophyless manager deserves time to prove himself.
They saw a style with Poch and that got fans on side. If this is Oles style then I'm 1000% out on him.

For me, it's not about instant success. I would like to see a method to our approach, a system installed/style of football to get the best out of the players, but at the minute there isn't either.

but it's the same problem we had with Jose, if he hasn't got the players, he can't impliment his style. We must give him a chance and then judge him.

We bought the player Jose wanted twelve months later, I wonder where we would be if they had bought him last summer.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back