Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur 2019/20

It’s like Andy getting rid of Woody, just because a new shiny Buzz Lightyear came along.

We are not suddenly going to sack Ole just because Poch became available, not gonna happen.

Why not?

City were ruthless to get Pep sacked a managed who'd just won the league
Liverpool sacked Rodgers to get Klopp
Spurs sacked AVB to get Poch.

You have to take opportunities when they are there if Poch was the number 1 choice but we couldn't get him at the time Utd have to consider the option of going back to plan A.

On a purely coaching ability basis it's very hard to argue that Ole is a better coach than Poch.

If you asked me I'd be suggesting Ole moves upstairs into a technical director type role and Poch comes in as first team manager obviously that won't work.

Poch has won nothing. I don't see any gain in going for him, just wastes the last few months and whatever work has gone on behind closed doors.

I think Ole deserves more respect.

We were ruthless when we sacked Moyes. We were brutal sacking lvg and ruthless when we sacked jose. It means absolutely nothing. I believe we have to be careful here. We could end up looking stupid if we were to sack ole in 6 months time and miss out on poch. However we could look even worse if we sack him now to employ the guy that has just been sacked for the guy we have already sacked as not being good enough. In my head that made sense.

I would be very surprised if we sacked Ole just because Poch came available. The musings coming from Woodward is that Ole has a job regardless this season. Maybe in 6 months at the end of the season that maybe evaluated but I would say the chances of Ole being sacked at this very moment are slim to none. Other clubs like City and Liverpool were ruthless but Mancini and Rodgers had longevity to a degree, Ole has only just came into the job and is starting the process. We would be dumb to rip up the current regime now - sure Ole may not work but got to give him time. The comments that Poch will be able to build a team as Ole won’t be able too are ridiculous. A lot of fans want Ole gone because he isn’t a ‘big name’.

Poch may just take some time out now to see what jobs are available at the end of the season and to be honest that’s probably the best move.

Poch has won nothing. I don't see any gain in going for him, just wastes the last few months and whatever work has gone on behind closed doors.

I think Ole deserves more respect.

I have full respect for Ole as a player and person but as a manager I think questions have to be asked about his ability to do this job and he's 12 months in and on the pitch I'm seeing little progress the same problems we had under Mourinho remain we can't break down teams that defend in numbers and our away record is dreadful.

Yes the mood off the pitch has improved that's why I think Ole might be better suited being the guy with the vision ie a director rather than a guy who's doing the day to day coaching which is where I think Poch knocks the socks off him.

I think Poch would probably be wise to take a few months off let the dust settle then see what is on the market this summer big jobs could be available at PSG, Real Madrid, Bayern even Juventus if Sarri doesn't really deliver maybe even City if Pep gets twitchy.

This whole won nothing thing doesn't really bother me when he's managed Espanyol, Southampton and Spurs these aren't teams that expect to win the main thing you can say about Poch at Spurs is he's turned them from a team that unrealistically hoped to qualify for CL and win a trophy to a club that expects to qualify for the CL and win a trophy. Utd right now are certainly a club that is hoping rather than expecting things.

You have to take opportunities when they are there if Poch was the number 1 choice but we couldn't get him at the time Utd have to consider the option of going back to plan A.
Spot on! Just make it happen before it's too late.

Why are we desperate for the manager Spurs deemed not good enough to take them to the next level?

I have full respect for Ole as a player and person but as a manager I think questions have to be asked about his ability to do this job and he's 12 months in and on the pitch I'm seeing little progress the same problems we had under Mourinho remain we can't break down teams that defend in numbers and our away record is dreadful.

Don't you think questions need to be asked about Poch's trophy haul? He's won 6 in the last 24 league matches with a far better squad than Ole has.

It's too quick to start throwing doubt at Ole, he's one window in. Said before, if Jose couldn't get that squad playing then not many could. The squad needs an overhaul and we should trust Ole, the three signing's he's made are probably the best three since Fergie left. It's a good start.

I have no doubts Poch is a very good coach, he took over Spurs with a hugely inflated squad and managed to whittle that down and also have faith in young guys like Dier and Kane. I think he’s been very unlucky not to win a trophy, he has been very close multiple times. At least he has got them close but hasn’t quite got them over the line.

However, I think Ole is building a new culture at the club and the signs are already there. Results haven’t been fantastic but the squad is the worst in many a year. He’s signed three very good players who could be the mainstay of our squad for 10+ years. I’m in the Ole to remain seat but I can see why others want him to go and Poch come in.

I too can see why people want Poch. I just think they’re overlooking all the negative things that come with him. For example Spurs league form this last 11 months (they’d have wanted him sacked quicker than Spurs have). The fact he’s unproven. The fact that he’s also done it at two clubs in England with very strong football systems in place unlike the system at Old Trafford. I see him being another one shocked by the size of the job and thrown in the deep end and sinking.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Were Spurs expected to win trophies prior to Pochettino or did the expectation come after a few seasons under Pochettino?

Why are we desperate for the manager Spurs deemed not good enough to take them to the next level?
Because he took that team forward in big steps? Because right now that's what we need to do rather than immediately chasing titles? Because he plays good football and uses youth? Ole uses youth but his style hasn't been exciting.

Were Spurs expected to win trophies prior to Pochettino or did the expectation come after a few seasons under Pochettino?

I'm not sure that matters, he's won nothing either way. I guess they expected it because of the stadium rebuild, planning for that must have started pre Poch.

Poch has done nothing in 5 years to prove to me he deserves the job, I think Ole needs more than 3 months to be judged with comparison. People keep saying what Klopp and Pep would do with uniteds squad. Can you imagine what they would do with Spurs squad?

Give Ole a chance is my opinion. No-one deserves the sack after 3 months of a season and 1 transfer window. Talking of which, Poch in the transfer market is pretty poor.

He'll end up Bayern as your link says I would have thought.

Were they expected to win trophies under him? Did you tip them to win a trophy this season? They’ve sacked him for Mourinho to go to the next level where they’re expected to win trophies.

Because he took that team forward in big steps? Because right now that's what we need to do rather than immediately chasing titles? Because he plays good football and uses youth? Ole uses youth but his style hasn't been exciting.

Spurs fans have been very critical of Spurs football in the past year. He has taken them forwards but then he’s stagnated, gone backwards and been sacked.

Well he did take them to the next level didn't he?

Spurs don't win... Spurs don't always qualify for the CL I think before Poch it was 2 or 3 seasons in the 10 previous they'd go in under Poch I think it's been 4 out of 5.

In 5 years he's turned them into a team that qualifies every year and also competes in the competition they don't just dive out at the group stage they've had a few knockout round games and had a miracle run to the final last year. I think where he probably went wrong was not going after the domestic cups and getting one of them in the bag think it was 1 league cup final & 1 FA Cup semi final in his 5 years but the pressure was always on him from about to get CL because of the finances.

Utd need to get back to being a consistent CL club before we can think of winning the league my point is Poch I think was the man to rebuild it he might not be the man to put us back on top of the mountain but he'll get us close to the top right now we're just stood on the ground looking up.

I think Poch himself called out the issues he saw it coming he wanted to freshen up the squad 2 years ago but the club were clearly holding off on the spending until the stadium was done. He knew the message was no longer as strong as it was at the start and new faces were required I don't have it exactly but the last few summers the signings have been minimal.

2019 Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso
2018 NO-ONE
2017 Sissoko, Aurier, Moura (think Moura came in January)

He's then got the issue of the club not really being able to increase the wage bill to keep the existing players happy which has finally come to a conclusion this season. This is why the Mourinho thing to me makes no sense surely he's not going to put up with that for very long and if they suddenly release a load of money to spend you have to question why give it to him and not to Poch?

I think it would be harsh to sack Ole based on this season it's been a tough start but he's done some key work in rebuilding the squad but you do have to question his ability as a coach and tactician because despite having been in the job for 12 months Utd still don't know how to break down teams who are well organised defensively and don't look like a team that really controls a game of football.

Don't you think questions need to be asked about Poch's trophy haul? He's won 6 in the last 24 league matches with a far better squad than Ole has.

It's too quick to start throwing doubt at Ole, he's one window in. Said before, if Jose couldn't get that squad playing then not many could. The squad needs an overhaul and we should trust Ole, the three signing's he's made are probably the best three since Fergie left. It's a good start.

It's certainly a mark against his name but realistically what can he be expected to win when manager of Espanyol, Southampton and Spurs and lets be totally honest in football now champions league qualification is more important to owners than any domestic cup competition. I personally think that's a bad thing but it's a reality in football now.

I think last season for Spurs was crazy the previous summer they didn't sign any new players despite Poch wanting to start overhauling the squad he knew that the team he'd had in his first 3 seasons had started to go a bit stale and it needed a refresh.

Spurs have had an obvious problem with the price of players flying through the roof the days of picking up players for £10-15m are over it's £60m for players who are "gambles" now they're shopping in a different market and Spurs can't plead poverty like they maybe could 5 years ago.

If we hired Poch the same issues would remain at the club in terms of the structure above the manager that would all still need to be resolved but I'd be confident that the man dealing with the players we have day to day would be getting the absolute best from them. Right now I'm not convinced that has been happening under Ole we still look basically the same sort of team we were 12 months ago can only play 1 way and easy to stop if you're prepared to sit in and defend we still can't score goals.

perhaps we play the same way because we fundamentally have the same players.

Keep saying, if Jose couldn't then most couldn't. We can't judge Ole on 1 window and 3 months. You can't judge anyone like that.

He needs to get his players in, and then we can see. He needs at least 3 windows. If it's like this next Christmas then I'm willing to hear the argument against him.

perhaps we play the same way because we fundamentally have the same players.

Keep saying, if Jose couldn't then most couldn't. We can't judge Ole on 1 window and 3 months. You can't judge anyone like that.

He needs to get his players in, and then we can see. He needs at least 3 windows. If it's like this next Christmas then I'm willing to hear the argument against him.

I think if you have a plan then you implement that plan and see what players can handle the new system and which ones can't you then work out your ins and outs from there. Pep & Klopp didn't wait 12 months to put their plans in place their style came in from day one just like it did for us with LVG for example you have to try it out and see who can handle do the jobs you need doing and then file the gaps that are missing.

Jose couldn't because the club wouldn't go 100% behind his plan which was a total overhaul of the LVG squad he was the complete opposite to LVG in terms of style. Mourinho wasn't prepared to play the game and keep everyone on board as soon as the club stopped backing him he blew up and turned the whole thing into a mess.

You don't get time in football you buy time and I'm not basing my opinion on the results it's based on the performances in 12 months how many times have we actually looked back and said today we've played really well and bossed the game? I think it's maybe 5-10 games there have been some good/great results but some of those have come off the back of bad performances.

I look at it and see the bad performances are when we have key injuries and we have to use our squad.

Pep had his squad built before he arrived, and Klopp struggled.

I'm glad we're giving him time, or we're just just in Groundhog Day

If Jose couldn't do it with this squad, then no one can.

Let's stop going back to Mourinho that man became a cancer the moment he didn't get his own way and that team won 2 trophies in his first season, came second in his second season and lost the FA cup final then exploded in the third season because he hadn't got all his own way over the summer. He could have worked within the restrictions and played the game because he decided to push the eject button and take his pay off, there was absolutely no reason or Utd to fall so far in that third season. Mourinho screwed himself with his signings they just weren't good enough he spent a fortune on players that he couldn't get the best out of and as far as we know he signed off on all of them.

Sacking Ole would be harsh but the whole groundhog day thing shouldn't happen if you structure your club properly because changing a coach should be like changing a striker or a defender it's a part in a machine not the entire machine. Until Utd get that structure we will always have this problem but say Harry Kane was available for nothing tomorrow would you be saying Utd shouldn't sign him we should give Martial a chance? No if you can get better you take better.

That's how I see Ole I don't see him as a top class coach which is why he should only have ever been the interim.

I love the guy but I see no reason why we should be putting faith in him because it's blind faith and after 12 months we can't see anything that even really resembles a hint of progress.

We must go back to Jose, he even said himself what he achieved with that squad was his best ever work.

It's relevant, you need to realise how poor our squad is. And to sack Ole after 3 months is a joke. He's made a great start, great signings.

There is no reason not to put your faith in him, he's done nothing wrong so far, he said it would be a tough year, and everyone should have been able to recognise that is the case. Anyone who thinks another manager is going to come in and we are going to start thrashing teams is in cuckoo land.

The sqaud is not good enough. Let the man do his job rather than undermine him. The questions in his pressie today about Poch were very disrespectful. Talk about the upcoming match.

If you believe that then you are lying getting Utd to second was not his greatest achievement he was just talking up what he'd achieved to protect his reputation. Yes Utd were fortunate to finish second but it was hardly a miracle and it was second but still 20 points off the league winner.

Ole has been manager for 11 months mate not 3 months he's not far off having a full season worth of games under his belt so it is time for me to start judging what we see on the pitch.

Done nothing wrong? Come on you watch the games he's not changed the style, his subs have any effect on the games, we do nothing on set pieces, defensively shape wise we are still largely the same we were just with better players and going forward we are still limp.

My issue isn't the stopping the man from doing his job I think he's doing an ok job but I think Utd have the opportunity to put someone in to that position with a better record in doing that job and a more likely chance of succeeding.

Ole for me remains we the much more risky option and I don't believe that Ole will be the man to put us back on top he might be the man to stop the decline had got ourselves in but I don't see him being able to take on the big boys at their game.

he's had 3 months of his own making, into his project.

We're going to disagree and go round in circles, I see no future in changing the manager every few months. We gave him a contract and to sack him after 3 months is a joke. Give him a chance. Especially sacking him for a manager who did nothing with a much better squad.

Ole has done nothing to say he will be a success, but he's also done nothing to say he wont. I like the players he is targeting too. Poch has proven he can't get a very good squad over the line.

He was appointed in December 2018 as interim and part of that job was to help the club plan for the summer and he got made permanent in March 2019 so I think it's fair to say he's been in the job for nearly a year.

See I think Poch had a very good starting XI but he never had the squad to challenge which is where things would always fall apart the regret for him and Wenger will be not capitalising on that season where Leicester won it.

There's nothing to say I couldn't turn around Man Utd apart from my ramblings on here which clearly show I can't but that doesn't mean I should get the job :D .

quite :)

I agree Ole is a gamble, but now he has been gven the job, he deserves a fair crack.

I don't agree Poch is more deserving.

Talk of Pep might walk, tired etc. And Poch could be at city next season.

Pep has always seen out his contract his current one runs to the end of next season.

His family have moved back to Barcelona which can't be easy not having people to go home to every night but Pep seems like the kind of guy who lives football 24/7.

I think he knows this City team needs freshening up a bit the signings made during his reign made haven't all been hits so it probably needs another round of signings plus in Liverpool he's got a serious rival that he probably feels have got his teams number.

There's also maybe an argument to be made that to an extent his team has been found out his defence can be got at now especially by quick forwards and up top if you can force them wide you can limit the quality of chances they create. Pep will probably solve that problem.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back