Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur 2018/19

It's quite incredible what Poch has managed to do with such limited funds. I'd love to see him here to see what he could do with some backing.

Also not having this. Yes he hasn’t spent much money but he’s been lucky to have one of the worlds best strikers fall at his feet. You’re looking at £150m there. Deli Alli was signed before Poch turned up now days you’re looking at £50m there.

The money hasn’t been spent but he has a squad that should be winning trophies

Well Poch actually signed Alli so he’s got to be applauded for that. Also he has made plenty of astute signings like Sanchez, Alderweireld and Trippier.

Also I think it’s easy to say that Kane fell at his feet but he was the manager who gave him more of a chance so he has to be given credit for that.

I agree that he has a decent squad and probably should have won more, they definitely missed their chance in the season when Leicester won the title but I think beyond Eriksen, Son (who he bought and it’s proved a master stroke of a signing) and Kane I don’t think their squad is backed with star quality. What he continues to do with Spurs is impressive.

Deli Alli was signed 18 months before he moved to Tottenham.

Deli Alli was signed 18 months before he moved to Tottenham.
Poch appointed 2014, Alli signed 2015.

Prices are irrelevant these days, Sanchez was still a very good signing irrespective of the price tag.

we don't even know if he had an involvement in who they signed. I imagine their scouts do the work.

He is a great manager no doubt, but he should have won something wth that team. I don't think his attitude towards the cups is great and he needs to change that if he wants to take the next step. We have Ole saying Man Utd expect to win every game. And Poch saying losing cup matches don't matter. If he didn't say things like that maybe they would have won one by now.

Spurs don't necessarily allow managers to sign players they have a team of people who manage the signings and while he's had some bangers no doubt he tipped them off about the clause that allowed them to get Alderwiereld, I don't think he's that involved in the recruitment of players at Spurs. I think modern managers are happy to stay out of that now as it brings pressure you don't need to the job. If he came to Utd they'd need to get the same sort of structure Spurs have in place for him.

Just because a manager can do a job with no money doesn't mean they can do a job with money and Utd can't claim poverty like Spurs have done in the past to get deals done.

The main change will be that he'd be coming to a club where fans expect to win not a club where it would be nice to win.

There's nothing I've seen in him that suggests he couldn't do the job if given the chance at a club with bigger resources the only thing he'd need to adapt to is managing a bigger squad keeping everyone fresh but also happy.

The main thing I like about Poch is he seems to get the players to come round to his methods and buy into a team ethic even if they were big names at previous clubs, they sacrifice themselves for each other on the pitch.

They're 5 points off the leaders with 13 games to go and no one is even talking about them being in the title race. Surely another side and they'd be mentioned but no one at all is considering them as potential league winners. They're out of the FA Cup so have no excuse there. But all anyone is talking about is them getting top 4 again. They don't have the winning mentality required.

They're 5 points off the leaders with 13 games to go and no one is even talking about them being in the title race. Surely another side and they'd be mentioned but no one at all is considering them as potential league winners. They're out of the FA Cup so have no excuse there. But all anyone is talking about is them getting top 4 again. They don't have the winning mentality required.

The narrative changes like the wind with Spurs a week ago that gap was 9 points and they were the club in crisis if they win again at the weekend I think people will be talking of a 3 horse race again but so far this season they've always looked at best the 3rd horse in a 3 horse race they've never gone to the top of the table whereas City & Liverpool have.

Leicester (H)
Burnley (A)
Chelsea (A)
Arsenal (H)

That's the next 4 in the league if they can come through that with 9 points they'll be right in it I think.

Also not having this. Yes he hasn’t spent much money but he’s been lucky to have one of the worlds best strikers fall at his feet.

So if Ole gets the job full time at United... You give him no credit? Because the players fell in to his lap.

So if Ole gets the job full time at United... You give him no credit? Because the players fell in to his lap.

I certainly wont be praising him for having Rashford and Martial. Players that were here before he was signed.

Mourinho achieved more with this group of players than Poch has his. Poch isn't a winner and that is something that needs to change. It's not just at Tottenham he's won nothing it's his entire career. Ole even though he hasn't done much as a manager is at least used to winning. 2 Norwegian league titles and the Norwegian cup whilst not anything to shout about shows a winning mentality.

Even as a player Poch won 1 league title and 2 spanish cups and I think the winning mentality is a key part of being a manager. Poch doesn't have the final killer instinct for it. I believe it's 3 semi finals lost in 3 seasons in a row now?

And these comments: “Tottenham, no history of winning,” said Pochettino. “Our glory, I watch the video about the glory, it’s with (Bill) Nicholson. It’s black and white and I watch it nearly every week. To create again that feeling you need time. Four years, five years, that’s nothing in the history of the club.”

3 years running you've lost a semi final when entering it favourite. Stop with the excuses.

I certainly wont be praising him for having Rashford and Martial. Players that were here before he was signed.

So a coach doesn't get credit and praise for developing players and making them fulfil their potential no? That's nothing to do with the coach.

You would be hard pressed to give him no credit at all for getting a tune out of players Jose practically ruined.

So a coach doesn't get credit and praise for developing players and making them fulfil their potential no? That's nothing to do with the coach.

Rashford turn in form happened under Mourinho. Rashford has an FA Cup medal, league cup medal and Europa league medal he’s not suddenly some player Ole made.

Also not having this. Yes he hasn’t spent much money but he’s been lucky to have one of the worlds best strikers fall at his feet. You’re looking at £150m there. Deli Alli was signed before Poch turned up now days you’re looking at £50m there.

The money hasn’t been spent but he has a squad that should be winning trophies

Kane didn't fall at Pochettino's feet. He had two average loan spells (2 goals in 20 appearances) before his first start in the league - only a month prior Pochettino was appointed manager at Spurs. Pochettino put faith in a young striker. Mourinho could have put faith in Rashford - a young striker who had a better record at a higher level than Kane, but he decided to buy Lukaku.

Rashford turn in form happened under Mourinho. Rashford has an FA Cup medal, league cup medal and Europa league medal he’s not suddenly some player Ole made.

Are you in denial? Rashford has looked a completely different player under Ole. Playing in Central striker position has transformed this team and his form.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Leicester City - 10th February 2019

Played 27
Won 21
Drawn 0
Lost 6
Points 60
Goals For 52
Goals Against 25

Premier League: Burnley 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 23rd February 2019

Played 27
Won 20
Drawn 0
Lost 7
Points 60
Goals For 55
Goals Against 27

Big blow for Tottenham's title challenge.

They’re now only 5 clear of 5th. With Arsenal the weekend.

He again said something weird, it will take 10 years to get this team to win the title! no wonder they lost. He says some odd things,.

It's been this way all season it's ups and downs for them they haven't drawn a league game all year which is mad.

Consistency wins titles and the top 2 are incredibly consistent this year, Spurs are not I think he knows like Arsenal know that season with Leicester was the chance for these clubs to pinch a title because the door was left open by the top teams at that time and it was Leicester who snuck in not them. Since then all the top sides have tooled up and closed the door on this happening again.

The frustrations are obvious at the moment he can get them close but not close enough but he's going up against 2 teams who are investing a lot of money currently which Spurs are not and you have to say they've blown two great chances at a cup in semi finals in the last two season losing ties that on form they should win.

Premier League: Southampton 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 9th March 2019

Three defeats in the last four games.

1 point from a possible 12 in last 4 games

I'm taking credit for this I killed them when I put Son in my fantasy team.

Wind has just been totally knocked out of them and they were very lucky to get that 1 point.

that new stadium looks awesome. If they doesn't spur (no pun intended) them on then nothing will. I think they'll get top 4. Dog fight between the other three.

I agree it looks amazing but not sure if it'll make players and managers stay as Spurs will need to use that stadium to line their pockets and help the team make the next step which is going from top 4 to actual title challenge, players will stay as long as you keep them happy money and success does that not a fancy stadium. That means doing what Liverpool have done in the last season or two and going after the expensive guys that can make the difference. The challenge is can they do that while still paying for the stadium because we saw the squeeze it put on Arsenal and trying to close the gap on City is incredibly tough you can't make any mistakes.

Interesting thing about the facilities is the fan areas are due to stay open for a few hours after kick off to encourage fans to stay in the ground after games and carry on the celebrations. Seems obvious why send all the fans out to the surrounding pubs when you can keep them on your premises putting money in your tills.

Apparently the whole thing has been designed to make you want to come early and stay after rather than the kind of cold functional concourses of current grounds that don't really attract fans to come early and close before the game ends so fans are forced to leave at full time.

Know a few Spurs season ticket holders and judging by their social media stuff yesterday they love it.

the longest bar in Europe they said on the radio, 10,000 pints a minute.

Yeah they've got pint glasses that fill from the bottom so they can pour much quicker pretty impressive when you see it being done.

Just don't unscrew the cap in the bottom because you'll get wet feet haha.

They had a blank canvas so you'd hope they've listened to what all fans want so those who want to enjoy a few beers and create an atmosphere have a good place to do that, families who want something a bit more relaxed and kid friendly have that and those who want the corporate experience have that.

They've built enough of these stadiums in the UK now that you can learn from the mistakes and having that single tier fan stand with no corporate areas is a great idea to help with atmosphere but now it's on the fans to make sure that it does generate the atmosphere.

Old Trafford will look out of date soon.

Self serving bar apparantly. And it's a cash free stadium, all on pre paid cards.

Old Trafford already does feel out of date.

Did the visit to the Nou Camp last year and they said on the tour the Nou Camp will go down as an iconic stadium of the 20th century but the challenge for them now is to develop it to become an iconic stadium of the 21st century the whole ground is being re-developed over the next few years.

I think Old Trafford is a similar story really we were the first to really re-develop the ground in the 90's but it's been 10 years since the last significant work was done on it with the quadrants filled in for the NE & NW corners of the ground in 2007. Since then it's had some touching up done but it really is showing its age and others are starting to catch up.

I don't think anyone will over take it in terms of size but as a stadium it's stuck in the 90's and it needs modernising. The talk is they're waiting to see if rail seating will ever get approved before committing to any plans but they sort of realise that in order to solve all the issues they have with the stadium they'd almost have to knock it down and start again.

So apparently Poch is considering his future... if he leaves Spurs and becomes available I'll be gutted.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back