Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Thread for discussions on Mauricio Pochettino and Tottenham Hotspur in 2017/18.

Listening to a Graham Hunter podcast earlier he said he's had it on good authority that Poch let Walker go because he's not a fan of his attitude in training feels he lacks a bit of professionalism this news has already started to leak out a bit over the last few months after he was dropped for Trippier towards the end of last season. However, Hunter also revealed he understands that Poch has a similar view on Danny Rose.

Apart from Chelsea who seem to be in the hunt for full backs I don't see anyone else going for him this summer unless Man City want to buy a 4th full back but could be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Chelsea - 20th August 2017

Played 2
Wins 1
Draws 0
Defeats 1

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Burnley - 27th August 2017

Played 3
Wins 1
Draws 1
Defeats 1

Tottenham's summer: Davinson Sanchez, Serge Aurier, Fernando Llorente, Juan Foyth, Paulo Gazzaniga.

Davinson- it's hard to tell what a players really like coming from the Dutch league it's so hit and miss. But from what I saw against him in the Europa league final he looks like he might be a hit. He was very strong and aggressive and had a host of big clubs chasing him. So potentially could be a great signing.

Aurier- Like JSP said on another thread his a nutcase. But he will be a fantastic player for Spurs. His got a history worse then Phil Mitchell's but I think people will forgot that once he starts playing. His so attack minded and quick his a great replacement for Walker and so much cheaper.

Llorente- Again great signing. His gonna be back up to Harry Kane obviously but unlike that Jansen bloke this guy done it over here. His strong and physical and will nick points with headers here and there. Spurs have battered teams for 90 mins and not scored. LLorente offers a different option. For 12 million his a bargain. So strange he turned down working with Conte again.

The other 2 wont play so no point talking about them.

Overall spurs have had a great window. Especially compared to Chelsea and Arsenal.

I looked at the Europa League Final and thought Utd just let him have the ball because we knew he couldn't hurt us with it and was he the guy who totally switched off defending the throw in for the first goal? However, he's coming in as a 3rd choice CB maybe even 4th choice if you include Dier.

If Aurier keeps his head I think they've got a like for like replacement for Walker who was half the price and younger.

I really like the Llorente signing they need backup for Kane and rather than gamble on signing a guy like Jaansen they've gone and got a guy who knows the league and has a good record, also gives them something a little bit different to Kane if they want to go two up top as they've got more of a target man. Think I said on another thread somewhere if we didn't sign Ibra I'd happily have had Llorente come in as the 2nd/3rd choice striker.

It's the same problem with Spurs though by dragging their heals they might have saved a few quid but it might have cost them 5 points already, they have got to start getting the squad ready for the first game of the season not waiting until they're 3 games in as they're already 5 points off the pace.

Premier League: Everton 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 9th September 2017

Played 4
Wins 2
Draws 1
Defeats 1

Champions League: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Borussia Dortmund - 13th September 2017

Played 1
Wins 0
Draws 0
Defeats 0

Big win for them against a weakened Dortmund side but they gave up a lot of chances to Dortmund and got very lucky with an offside call that should've made it 2-2.

Another silly red card as well means no Vertonghen or Ali in the next game.

Didn't see the whole game last night but very impressed by Son last night he's been a cracking signing for them feel he's actually a bit under rated as a player.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Swansea City - 16th September 2017

Played 5
Won 2
Drawn 2
Lost 1
Points 8

Premier League: West Ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 23rd September 2017

Played 6
Won 3
Drawn 2
Lost 1
Points 11

Premier League: Huddersfield Town 0-4 Tottenham Hotspur - 30th September 2017

Played 7
Won 4
Drawn 2
Lost 1
Points 14

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Bournemouth - 14th October 2017

Played 8
Won 5
Drawn 2
Lost 1
Points 17

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur - 28th October 2017

Played 10
Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 2
Points 20

Premier League: Arsenal 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur - 18th November 2017

Played 12
Won 7
Drawn 2
Lost 3
Points 23
Goals For 20
Goals Against 9

Another away defeat for Poch in a game vs one of the other big 6.

Premier League: Leicester City 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 28th November 2017

One win in the last five league games.

Did this happen last season as well?

Seem to recall them stumbling a bit while the CL group stages were happening then they went on a ridiculous run after Xmas but by then the damage was done as Chelsea were miles ahead.

Crazy how much the pundits like to fawn over Tottenham while pouring scorn on us for being better than them.

I think that's because they're still seen as the plucky under dog and they're young and hip and cool compared to the old guard like Mourinho who's burned all his bridges with the media over the years.

They feel to me like a bit of Newcastle in the 90's they're great fun but they are a bit vulnerable and they desperately need to win a trophy even if it was just a league cup they've got to put a trophy in the cabinet sooner rather than later because they aren't paying the players what they could be earning elsewhere so unless you are winning titles eventually that team will get broken up. We've already seen Walker get picked off by City and if he wins the title with them this season others will think about making the same moves.

Premier League: Watford 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 2nd December 2017

Played 15
Won 7
Drawn 4
Lost 4
Points 25
Goals For 23
Goals Against 13

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 5-1 Stoke City - 9th December 2017

Played 16
Won 8
Drawn 4
Lost 4
Points 28
Goals For 28
Goals Against 14

I'd take Poch at united in an instant. I think he's a great coach.

Premier League: Manchester City 4-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 16th December 2017

Played 18
Won 9
Drawn 4
Lost 5
Points 31
Goals For 30
Goals Against 18

1 win in 18 away against the ‘big 5’

Worth noting Spurs were without 2 of their first choice back 3 and one of their starting CM from last season in Wanyama.

They tried to play vs City but City are just to good so far no one seems to have worked out a plan to stop them.

Let's say Madrid are serious, he didn't deny he'd be interested in the press today. But of course there is Levy in the way and a new contract.

Let's say he does go though, is that the end of Spurs? will they be able to hang on to those players? Difficult to stat splashing cash on top coaches and players with the new stadium?

I think Spurs are a club on the brink if one of the big names go like Poch, Kane, Alli or Eriksen the rest will follow not likely be all in one go but every year another one will leave we saw it at Arsenal and we saw it at Dortmund and to some extent Monaco they were butchered over 1 summer last year and are still being picked off.

The biggest issue at Spurs is wages the players have good contracts that are topped up by a lot of performance related bonuses but at the top clubs a lot more of your wage is secure and as you get older you kind of want that because if you start thinking a bit more long term.

I think if Poch left they'd probably keep hold of the players for 1 more year as they're all on long contract but if the new coach didn't settle straight in and keep them competitive heads could easily be turned.

The worry for Spurs has to be City if they decide they want Kane or Eriksen when they see there mate Walker there getting paid big money and winning trophies it's going to be hard to keep them focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back