Matic-Herrera partnership

Sideshow Bob

A partnership that has been forced on Mourinho through injuries to Pogba and Fellaini. It doesn't work. The lack of creativity is hindering the team. It's not a coincidence the level of performance has significantly dropped off since the two were first partnered in midfield.

Definitely doesn't work. Alongside matic we need a bit more dynamism. I love Herrera, his attitude and understanding of playing for United is brilliant but I feel he is another we need to upgrade on.

I fear we’ve ended the honeymoon period with Matic. He could do with time out of the team too.

We need Pogba back. And fast.

I can’t but disagree with you SB. Matic has been disappointing for a while.

Tbh i didn't really mean that Herrera was better than matic just that as they were playing together it caused an imbalance. Of course jose was forced into it but i don't really see the 2 of them fighting for the same place. I have always been a big fan of ander and his attitude, however he has played all 3 of the central midfield positions and not really cemented any of them.

I can’t but disagree with you SB. Matic has been disappointing for a while.

Matic's performance level has dropped, however he's been pretty much a one man midfield and is doing the job of two midfielders.

I think my gripe isn't trying to challenge one player against another. It's more that we have several players, decent players, that were fine last season for winning what we did and coming around sixth. But if we want to be challenging for the title we need to upgrade on them. Yes injuries have not helped us but that is nothing new to us.

Herrera has been poor all season, yes Matic has dropped off a bit but he's still playing better than Herrera.

These 2 just don't work together.

The sooner we get Pogba back the better.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City - 10th December 2017

There was a big gaping hole in midfield.

It doesn’t work does it. I was impressed with Matic’s passing at the start of the season but the more I watch him I realise his only got that Hollywood 30 yard switch in him. Which is fine because his main job is to shield.

But when Herrera is about, he wants to play that role as well and suddenly they are on top of each other in the same space. There’s no one to pass to and the ball goes backwards or sideways. Obviously Pogba gives everyone a different option and his confident to drive it forward. But when these two play it’s a problem as they create nothing and get in each other’s way.

Actually thought they both had good games. Both willing to get stuck in and show fight. Likewise Young. The rest of them were always off the pace and never made a second ball.

The more annoying this is we’ve been done by two set pieces. If you stop this City side from tearing you apart you can’t concede from set pieces.

Also Lukaku. His defending at set pieces? How is he so terrible? A very under rated part of RVP’s game

I thought both Herrera & Matic were poor but tactics played a part Sterling drifted inside a lot to help out number our 2 midfield players but it was so easy to drive through our midfield and seemed so easy for balls to be played in behind our midfielders and take them out of the game.

We neither sat deep and squeezed space or pressed high to force City back it was wide open in midfield today as it was vs Arsenal & Watford which makes me feel that it’s tactical rather than player based.

Obviously Herrera can’t replace Pogba and what he does but he can’t really live with this level when he goes toe to toe with the best midfielders he often gets out played.

This season he doesn’t look the same player he was last season and I think part of that is Matic is doing the job he likes to do but he’s better at it. I don’t think these two compliment each other when they play together but they’re all we’ve got right now until Pogba is back and Fellaini’s injury doesn’t seem to have a return date. Makes you wonder if the stories about him leaving in January could be true as he’s completely disappeared in recent weeks.

Lets not forget Matic has been playing with an injury.

I know Herrera was POS last year, but I don't think he's good enough sadly.

Matics's touch and passing of late has been poor too. He was superb at the start of the season but his levels have dropped.

What ever happened to Herrera bring creative like he was at Betis?

Top and bottom of it is we struggle without Pogba as we have no one to replace him but who is gonna be good enough to come to utd in that role and sit on the bench 75% of the season when Pogba plays

I think Matic needs a rest he's looking a bit tired and this apparently happened a lot at Chelsea he was strong in the first half of seasons then tailed off a bit, I think he's rushed back from an injury and is playing through it until others are fit which is risky but fair play to him as we don't have much choice with injuries/suspensions.

Herrera I don't think we ever that creative as a player he's always been a bit of a neat and tidy player and where he's really excelled was as a ball winner he reads the game well so at his best gets plenty of tackles and interceptions plus he's good enough with the ball to pass it off quickly but against the very best opposition which guys like Silva & De Bruyne are can he do that?

That is the problem who would want to be the backup to Pogba? Because when fit Pogba will play and will play for 90 minutes but it might be a guy like Periera who could fill other positions when he's not backup for Pogba as he can play in those positions behind the front man or even play in a 3 man midfield with Pogba.

I don't think anyone has a top class replacement for their best player. Chelsea can't replace Hazard, Spurs can't replace Kane, Arsenal can't replace Sanchez etc these guys are the difference makers in these teams. The only club who possibly could are City is De Bruyne was injured for 2-3 months then they've got Bernardo Silva who would probably come in and fill his spot not to the same level of De Bruyne but to a very high level. These other teams the backup to the top players are miles below the level of the top guy.

I think we need to be looking at a player that can play alongside matic and pogba rather than a replacement.

[QUOTE="jsp, post: 157749, member: 1351"

That is the problem who would want to be the backup to Pogba? Because when fit Pogba will play and will play for 90 minutes but it might be a guy like Periera who could fill other positions when he's not backup for Pogba as he can play in those positions behind the front man or even play in a 3 man midfield with Pogba.

[/QUOTE]

Your defo right on this.

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United - 17th December 2017

Matic should play in the advanced position when the two are paired together.

Well Pogba is back now so hopefully this partnership will be broken up for a bit and we won’t have to watch it for a while.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back