Mason Greenwood | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Mason Greenwood's performances.

EFL Cup: Luton Town 0-3 Manchester United - 22nd September 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep lovely movements to setup the shot gets the defender off balance then gets it away quickly and the keeper can't get it looked like it did take a fortunate bobble.

Good to get off the mark I really think he could become a top class wide player if he properly learns the position.

He's so dangerous when he gets a bit of space wide facing a full back one vs one as they don't know what way he'll go and if he gets them in the box they really are snookered.

Said this on various threads over the past few years, this lad is the best talent I think I have ever seen, at 18 and from watching him in the youth team.

Not only his goal last night but the Rashford assist was very tidy, he has to start on saturday.

Yeah Ole basically said he didn't start the first game as he wanted to ease him back in and maybe it was a bit of a punishment for his behaviour in the England setup even though publicly Ole has supported him and looked after him.

All about staying injury free and just keep adding bits to the your game.

Do we think he will cement that right side as his own ? I know a lot depends on if we get a RW in this window of course.

Could we even see him budge Martial out of the side and be the focal point of our attack in years to come ?

I have no doubt that he eventually pushes Martial out of the central spot.

In the event we don't get a right flank player then he has to be first choice however I believe his long term future is at centre forward

Yeah I can see pro's and con's of him in the middle.

Think physically he will need more of a presence to go in the middle learn how to hold up the ball and protect it playing back to goal.

He'd have less time facing goal playing in the centre but no doubt he's got the finishing ability it's has he got the other parts of the game.

Out wide I think he's just got all the attributes to be a big goal scorer from wide positions probably needs to work a bit more on his creativity not really one for an assist is little Mason but being both footed is terrifying for a full back.

I think his trajectory will be that of RVP who he’s been likened to many times. He learns his trade out wide and then moves into the centre. The headed chance he had vs Burnley showed he still has work to do on that area. I think he’s fine where he is right now but I fully expect him to become a superstar.

I think his trajectory will be that of RVP who he’s been likened to many times. He learns his trade out wide and then moves into the centre. The headed chance he had vs Burnley showed he still has work to do on that area. I think he’s fine where he is right now but I fully expect him to become a superstar.

Yeah my only thing with that was RVP clearly had the frame of a striker he was a bit gangly but he filled out over time before going into the middle it was the same for Henry. Greenwood did some good work in the gym over lockdown put on a bit of muscle which will help him but he's not particularly tall and even with the changes to modern football to by that number 9 now you still need a physical presence. Not Lukaku levels but you need to be able to go 2 vs 1 against the centre backs and not be pushed around.

That's my only concern with him in the middle does he have that back to goal part of his game.

No and that's why I think we tried to sign Haaland before he went to Dortmund as he was such an obvious superstar talent but we missed out there. Off topic but Dortmund is starting to feel a bit like watching Bullseye "lets look at what you could've won."

I think Ole is happy with Martial but he knows there's things he can't do. So I think he'd like an alternative who plays the number 9 role a bit more back to goal but he hasn't quite found that player yet. Ighalo was a short term fix so I think he's still in the market for a striker with a bit more penalty box presence and physical side to his game.

Rumours that he was dropped yesterday for going out drinking with Brandon Williams.

Just rumours but if true these two need to smarten up they are young lads who will make mistakes but they need to learn from them.

More rumours, turned up late for training.

I hope he's not developing an attitude, he can go Rashford, or Morrison

Given the start he’s had would be a shame for him to lose focus and not make the most of it.

I trust Ole to make the right calls he’s used to working with young players let’s hope the message gets through and this is just a minor bump in the road.

Lateness is something football clubs just won’t stand for as there’s no excuse for it.

Have you ever heard the Ian Wright Roy Keane story? I'll try and find it

Latest rumour I've heard is he's had stitches on a head injury that wasn't football related and that is why he can't play.

Good old rumours aye

Champions League: Manchester United 5-0 RB Leipzig - 28th October 2020

Stories doing the rounds again today about concerns over his attitude in training.

Suggestion is club don’t think he’s fully focused on his football and needs to be more focused.

Wasn’t recalled by England either after his ban whereas Foden was.

Let’s hope it’s just a kick up the backside that works as there’s so much talent there.

Stories doing the rounds again today about concerns over his attitude in training.

Suggestion is club don’t think he’s fully focused on his football and needs to be more focused.

Wasn’t recalled by England either after his ban whereas Foden was.

Let’s hope it’s just a kick up the backside that works as there’s so much talent there.
The report I read was that after Southgate spoke to Ole it was mutually agreed that Greenwood would be best served staying at home to refocus on his responsibilities as a professional footballer.
I have to say I like Southgate in his role and his approach to such things. I believe he would put the development (and if you like) corrective behaviour of young players by their clubs before his own requirements, within reason of course.

Media always going to try and ruin someone like Greenwood a lot of hidden agendas there I think he will come out of this stronger mentally.

He needs a Roy Keane to tell him exactly how it is ;)

The report I read was that after Southgate spoke to Ole it was mutually agreed that Greenwood would be best served staying at home to refocus on his responsibilities as a professional footballer.
I have to say I like Southgate in his role and his approach to such things. I believe he would put the development (and if you like) corrective behaviour of young players by their clubs before his own requirements, within reason of course.

The story started in the Athletic and I don't have access to that so who knows how it had been twisted before it got to the source I saw it on.

Southgate comes from a youth football background like Ole so he knows the ups and downs of talent development it very rarely a non stop rise there will be bumps along the way.

You need to nail down the basics otherwise you won't last remember Rio saying when you get to first team football it's 90% mental 10% talent it's all about having a 24/7 footballer mentality.

Firstly I'd say be very careful reading too much in to this before more news is out.

However the internet rumours are Mason has been arrested on rape charges and is suicidal.

I'm hoping it's a case of 2+2=5

Hopefully the allegations are false. And his mental health isn't as bad as the rumours suggest but would certainly explain some of the uncertainty around him recently.

Maybe let’s not fuel rumours by discussing individuals. I am not suggesting you are by the way.

Report states the player arrested is in his 20s Greenwood is only 19.

Also, the reporting of his absence lately being off field related could be down to one of his mates committing suicide. He dedicated his goal vs Leipzig to that young lad who was at City who committed suicide.

Report states the player arrested is in his 20s Greenwood is only 19.

Also, the reporting of his absence lately being off field related could be down to one of his mates committing suicide. He dedicated his goal vs Leipzig to that young lad who was at City who committed suicide

That was only added to the report in the last hour or so. Which is good news for Greenwood at least. Whatsapp and Twitter were rife with the rumours it was him which is only more stuff on his shoulders.

Hopefully the club can help him through what must be a difficult time.

That was only added to the report in the last hour or so. Which is good news for Greenwood at least. Whatsapp and Twitter were rife with the rumours it was him which is only more stuff on his shoulders.

Hopefully the club can help him through what must be a difficult time.

The papers all know who it is and sadly Greenwood is the latest lad who seems to be suspect number 1 online when it comes to stuff like this and idiots are happy to create false WhatsApp stuff to peddle a lie. The fallout from his incident in Iceland seems to be lingering with him for longer than it is with Foden for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back