Martial’s Future

He needs to get his s**t sorted this season and I think he will. If we see the same again with Sanchez and Pogba things and going to spiral very quickly for Jose

Few places reporting today that Utd have set the price at 75m if clubs want to buy Martial.

Basically that gets us our money back on him.

I think if they got a big offer from a non prem club they’d probably let him go if not he will stay, personally I don’t see anyone meeting that asking price based on his performances in the last 2 seasons.

Can't see Real or Barca in for him, that leaves an EPL team, PSG or Juve. Can't see us selling to an EPL club so that leaves Juve or PSG. Will they want him?

I think he'll stay.

This is the thing though PSG currently can't buy anyone because of FFP issues they're already facing sanctions from UEFA for their spending up to July 2017 so that doesn't include Neymar or what they're committed to spend on Mbappe this summer, they've got serious problems from that point of view. Also, where would he play they already have Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Di Maria, Draxler who are all probably better options at centre forward or wide than Martial that's not me being harsh that's just a fact they've got a crazy level of attacking talent in that squad.

Martial is a fantastic talent but at this point he's a bigger gamble than he was 3 years ago because he's already struggled to some extent settling in at 1 club so then wanting another club to pay a huge transfer fee for him will be tricky.

For all his talent unless he changes his attitude he won't ever fulfill it and right now I don't think he's with the right kind of coach who can do that because that isn't really the Mourinho way what Martial probably needs is a bit like Depay take a step back to a club like Lyon and rebuild your reputation and hone your skills at a place where there's a little bit less pressure and spotlight on you.

This has all gone very quiet hasn’t it.

Player is back for pre season appearing in a lot of the clubs social media posts so looks like he’s staying even if he might not want to.

Hope he gets his head down and fights for his place even if that means learning to play from the right.

He is one of the players I consider to be potential game changers. Hope he gets his head down, works hard, and makes it impossible for Jose to leave him out. It's a big ask as I am not sure how receptive Jose is in terms of being proved wrong.

Can’t see Utd selling to a prem club unless they got a stupid offer, seems like the club are reluctant to sell end of even if the manager would like to.

Chelsea want to sign Martial as a replacement for Hazard, according to Duncan Castles. Neither Chelsea nor Bayern want to meet United's valuation of £90m.

If Martial goes to Chelsea not sure he will like Sarri likes his wide forwards to work their nuts off.

90m is probably a fair price in this mental transfer market but can see why clubs might bulk at it as only top clubs can afford that and they’ve probably already got better players than him in their starting XI.

Other reports are that the club have absolutely no interest in selling even though Mourinho is ok with him leaving.

If he wants to go then let him go because if he’s not happy unless we plan on changing manager which I assume we aren’t then he will never reach that potential he has.

He needs a new start but the transfer fee Utd want probably makes the sort of clubs he needs to go to unrealistic destinations. Clubs like Dortmund, Lyon etc where he’d have a chance to develop just aren’t going to pay those sort of fees.

Even a move back to Monaco would be good for him but they’re buying young to develop and make profit at 90m there’s a chance to make profit but it’s very high risk low reward.

I'll say this... And I know it'll be unpopular... I'd much rather we kept Martial than Jose. Martial could be part of an exciting United going forward. Jose can't.

I'll say this... And I know it'll be unpopular... I'd much rather we kept Martial than Jose. Martial could be part of an exciting United going forward. Jose can't.

I think you'd be surprised to learn how many United fans feel the same way. I'm also one of them and would not mind if Mourinho left tomorrow. Long-term the club and team would be better off.

Part of me thinks get rid of both of them I’m no Mourinho fan but Martial has an army of people willing to make excuses for him talking about all his potential but unless he performs consistently he’ll never fulfill that potential at a top club.

Guess it’s one more season for both of them to prove they’ve got it the young buck and the old veteran both need big seasons to survive at old Trafford.

Keeping them both seems a pointless exercise as Mourinho is never going to pick him over Sanchez & Lukaku so unless he learns to play on the right he’s facing a season of being the back up.

I think you'd be surprised to learn how many United fans feel the same way. I'm also one of them and would not mind if Mourinho left tomorrow. Long-term the club and team would be better off.

I'm glad to hear that to be honest. I know results have improved under Jose but not tremendously. And regardless that doesn't excuse the utter rubbish we are watching week in and week out.

Mourinho sends stark message to Martial amid Spurs links - Football365

Basically translates as tell your agent to wind it in.

Other reports today that the club are willing to listen to offers as Mourinho doesn’t want to keep an unhappy player at the club.

I tend to agree with him unhappy players are bad news in the dressing room if players want out and we get acceptable offers then let them go we should only want players who want to be here.

I really wouldn’t mind if I saw that Jose left tomorrow. The Jose of old got fans fired up with his ways and dramas but now he honestly looks like someone has stole his lunch money every interview.

If it was a toss up between Martial or Jose going, Jose would be goooone.

Who are you going to replace hm with exactly? Jose is our best shot at the title next year.

Honestly if people are suggesting we back a player who blows hot and cold over the manager then the club is well and truely screwed.

I like Martial and I can see his talent but I can also see why he frustrates the hell out of Mourinho and it would be the same for any other top manager because of his consistency and the fact that at times he hides himself in games.

Under LVG when the league season was basically written off at Xmas there was no pressure and no real competition up front as Rooney was finished and we didn't have another striker but since Mourinho came in we've had Zlatan and Lukaku and they were miles ahead of Martial as a centre forward.

I think Martial like Depay made the move to the big stage to early and maybe moved to the club at the wrong time the post Fergie years have been tough and probably aren't the best environment for young talent to develop at the managers are under constant pressure for results and we haven't had the experienced players around to guide these kids as most of them went within 12 months of Fergie's retirement.

Apparently gone home from the United tour to be with his pregnant girlfriend.

As usual the English press has jumped on this story and state that he is definitely on his way out of the club. Could well be true but could just be simply for the personal reasons.

Hardly surprising he's flown home to be at the birth of his child Delph flew home from the World Cup to be at his. Do footballers get Paternity leave?

At this point I think it's 50/50 on him being with us next season if we get a decent offer before our window closes they might let him go if they can get a replacement done if nothing happens before the window closes then he has to stay.

Yeah I understand he’s gone home, I guess footballers do get paternity leave like any other job. It just gives the media another stick to poke at those rumours with.

I would hate if we used Martial in a make weight for a deal for Alderweireld or Willian. We could give away someone with huge potential for guys who are very good but have no self on potential.

I understand Martial has been underwhelming the last two seasons but his first season showed he can cut it in this league. Jose has not helped one bit, if he had a couple of good performances then suddenly he would be out of the side. Then Sanchez arrived and nothing was going to stop him from playing despite him producing underwhelming performance after underwhelming performance. I really hope we persist with Martial, if we lose him we have very little pace in our front line apart from Rashford and Lukaku.

Bit fed up with this, i'd like Martial to stay, he's a very good young talent and you can see him excelling under a different manager and I hope he gives it another year, if he still feels the same next summer then go. It'd be a shame to see him go, as he'd go on to do really well elsewhere but he's not irreplaceable. We've paid about £50m for him now so £90m in the current market is fair i'd say and represents that we don't want to let him go, he's got bags of talent and I want to see him realise that here not elsewhere and certainly not at another English club.

I've not watched the games so not sure if this is right but it sounds like he didn't even try to impress when he was on tour, regardless of who the manager is do it for the club, the fans, and don't let yourself down.

Been some terrible stuff going around regarding him last few days.

Mourinho clearly unhappy that he didn’t come straight back he’s said that publically.

Reports then surfaced he was facing a 2 week fine for not reporting back for the Madrid game as agreed.

Martial having to state publically that despite his child being healthy the mother faced some problems post birth so he stayed in Manchester to be with her and he will return to training with the team tomorrow now that they’re back from the states.

I mean the Mourinho vs Martial thing isn’t healthy and one has to go in my opinion these things linger in dressing rooms as a manager if someone isn’t with you he needs to go and these 2 appear to have been at loggerheads for 2 seasons now.

Mourinho confirmed yesterday he was fined by the club for not reporting back for pre season as agreed after the birth of his child.

Almost zero talk about him leaving now doesn’t even sound like Utd received an offer for him.

It doesn't look a great situation. He seems at loggerheads with the club, or maybe it's just Mourinho. Nobody wanted him because of his price tag Utd would demand. No club would pay £80m upwards for a forward who isn't a 'proven' scorer and who's been playing on the wing, with inconsistent displays.

Like Mourinho himself, this is going to be his make or break season.

If he contacted the club and explained the situation then I don’t get the fine. If he just decided not to return and went AWOL then he deserved it. I doubt the fine came from Mourinho but the upper men.

I doubt the club fine a player without manager signing off on it but if he didn’t follow the club policy then you will get fined nothing you can really do about it.

You assume he had permission to go home but he was expected back and he either didn’t notify the club he wasn’t returning or he did and the reason he gave wasn’t acceptable. We’ve all kind of assumed he was telling the truth about his girlfriends complications but that could just be a cover story hence the fine.

I think he needs to go unless both parties have moved past it and he’s accepted the fine.

Reports going around he’s agreed a new 5 year deal with the club.

Not too surprising, Jose has publicly said he wants him to stay. But you do wonder what has changed Martials mind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To me this great news for the club. But it also goes further to enthasise the complete divide within the club. There is no way, in my opinion, this is a move backed by Mourinho. No way at all.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back