Martial’s Future

There's more to the story player cars are left at the ground on match day as they arrive on a coach from the hotel (which they stay in the night before the game) then drive home after the game from the ground. Martial arrived at midday yesterday collected his car and drove off. He didn't storm out of the ground and never even went in the ground as the rest of the team hadn't arrived yet.

Sounds like he had treatment at the training ground in the morning, was dropped off to collect his car and then left rather than stay and watch the game from the stands.

Apparently he wasn't in any of Saturday's training pics so the injury sounds legit.

The reason he didn't stay and watch the game is unknown as it doesn't sound like anyone has asked and it wasn't mandatory for those not involved to be at the ground for the game.

That said I'd say it's 25-75 that he's at the club next season all signs currently point towards the exit which is a shame because he's a talented player he just doesn't fit the direction the club is currently going in.

It's poor form on his behalf not to stick around do the lap of honour and thank the fans for their support over the season.

But if his girlfriend is pregnant and about to go in to labour you can't really blame him for wanting to be around her.

@IDFD that's all online speculation about why he might not have stuck around.

He or his people posted something on his social media thanking Carrick but so did every current Utd player, Daley Blind didn't even tag the correct Man Utd in his post ha!

to be honest JSP, everything we discuss on here is speculation. We have no idea about anything that happens inside the club.

About 99% of all football stories are garbage. We just end up believing the ones we like the sound of and they become fact

My point was more it wasn't even paper speculating about his mrs going into labour it was fans on twitter responding to the guy who sent out the original tweet.

I hate to say this but... I hope we sell him and I hope he goes on to become a world class player. It pains me to say that because you never want that situation to play out but he's been mistreated here. He's never been allowed to develop properly and he's been cast aside now and I think that continues next year too.

Didn’t make the World Cup squad.

If he doesn’t start the FA Cup final I don’t see him hanging around here next season whatever we offer him.

I hate to say this but... I hope we sell him and I hope he goes on to become a world class player. It pains me to say that because you never want that situation to play out but he's been mistreated here. He's never been allowed to develop properly and he's been cast aside now and I think that continues next year too.
Well I hope we don’t sell him because I still really like him but I do agree he could have been used better. However, I would bet more on him leaving than staying in the summer, it just seems to have got to that stage.

As for the World Cup, guess it was always on the cards that he would miss out but he is on the standbys so there is a chance we will see him yet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can't see what he's replying to. Does Di Marzio think he's staying or going. Everything since the season has ended suggests the club wants to keep him but the question is does Mourinho and does Martial want to stay. I think it's possible that he and Pogba both see themselves out-staying Mourinho and prospering when he goes.

Jose definitely wants to keep him, he has said so publicly.

Randomly spotted all his Utd posts on Instagram have been removed no mention of Utd anywhere on his social media.

In 2018 that translates as I want out.

I don’t really blame him for wanting to go but his agent needs to go and find Utd an acceptable bid now as we can’t be letting him go at a loss.

From his agent's comments it sounds like he could have left in January but stayed because of the fans. Don't think he's the only one fed up of Mourinho. Recent comments from Pogba seem to hint at a poor relationship but he wants to stay it seems.

Can't blame Martial for wanting out, wants to start games and isn't going to get that at United as he isn't a Mourinho favourite. Still has one of the best goals/assists per 90 in the league. He'll likely go and be brilliant elsewhere, I just hope it's not at another English club.

Is it a bluff for a better deal?

Could be but your agent going on record the way he has is basically saying the player wants to go.

Utd have apparently spent 70m euro so far on Martial with the original fee plus add ons so it’s going to take a big offer to make us sell but he’s only got 2 years on his deal so this is our best chance at getting our money back or making profit.

I understand his position since Mourinho took over he’s signed 3 players to play ahead of him Zlatan, Lukaku & Sanchez it’s clear that Mourinho doesn’t fancy him and Martial maybe doesn’t want to play the role Mourinho wants him to play. He’s arguably 3rd choice LW & 3rd choice striker as Rashford is probably ahead of him in the pecking order currently.

Sell him and use the money to buy a proper right forward makes a lot of sense right now but this kids talent could take him on to be a real world class player like Henry became or he could end up being an Anelka incredible talent that arguably never really fulfilled what we saw early on.

Martial wants to leave and I absolutely don't blame him. In other to improve and progress in to the player he can be he needs to play for a different manager. One who will support him, back him and play him even if he has the odd bad performance.

But so help me god if we sell to a EPL team I don't know if I'll be able to handle that.

I think this story has definitely got some weight. Bouhafsi is as reliable as it gets and now media outlets are printing the story.

I wouldn’t blame him if he did want to go, not convinced Jose will ever want to give him a run now he’s got Sanchez. I would be fuming if we sold him to another Premier League side because he can flourish under the right manager if given a chance. Let’s hope he goes overseas and he could well be used as a bargaining chip for another player.

He is still one of my favourite players we have. Without him we have very few players who can beat a man. So if were to sell we have to replace him with a like for like signing but on the right side.

If we sell Martial and don’t get in a replacement, as well as not bringing in a left back I think fans may well revolt!

When we signed him I wondered are we getting the next Henry or the next Anelka and I have to say after 3 years he feels more of an Anelka than an Henry.

A different manager maybe more prepared to dedicate some time to him might bring more out of him but Mourinho just isn't that guy the personalities clash to much.

lets not forget the contract was on the table unsigned before we signed Sanchez. Maybe we knew he wasn't going to sign.

He's too inconsistent to warrant a starting place. Shame, because if he stayed i'm sure Jose would have used him more and more if he could find that consistency. But the fans are just too unforgiving at united at the moment and want everything at once.

Jose has much to get right this season. Media speculation that he is happy with Young at lb and so on don't fill me with confidence but as I said, it's speculation.

Martials agent did say though, if Utd don't want to sell him he is happy to run down his contract.

Read into this what you will but Martial could well be here a lot longer than Jose. Jose's head is nearing the block if he doesn't get the right players in and play a better style of football this season.

I still don' think we'll let him go to be honest.

But if we did, and got Bale in, that would probably be a better balance?

good, lets hope he comes back hungry and makes utd up the contract to whatever it is hes holding out for.

I have mixed feelings towards Martial. On the one hand, the lad didn't do himself any favors when he was whoring around a couple of years ago, which led to his wife filing for divorce, which in turn severely affected his performance on the pitch. On the other hand, I can't say that Mourinho has held him in high esteem. I always felt that he would sub Martial the instant he had an average game, not to mention an awful one. As soon as Martial had one average game, he'd instantly end up on the bench. Compare that with Alexis Sanchez, who has been rubbish in more than half of his games for United so far.

By the time Sanchez was brought in in January, I thought we had finally struck a balance with Martial on the left, Mata on the right and Lukaku up front. I really liked how United played at the time and Martial even scored in all of the three matches prior to Sanchez's arrival. And then, BOOM! The Chilean comes and Martial and Rashford get benched instantly. And even after a dozen of crappy displays from Sanchez (don't get me wrong, I like the guy and love his attitude on the pitch), Martial could still not get a proper chance to earn a place on the team sheet.

I'd like Martial to stay (like Red Warrior said, Mourinho's fate is far from certain), but I would understand if he'd choose to leave.

It was 3 in the previous 4 before Sanchez signed. He then played 90 minutes in 2 of the following 3 and was awful. It was also a total of 6 in the previous 24 before the signing of Alexis Sanchez.

He certainly wasn't in thge great form everyone was making him out to be. He was playing well but Rashford and Lingard were both playing better. If Martial put in a performance on the level Sanchez did against City or Tottenham people would still be talking about it.

He certainly wasn't in thge great form everyone was making him out to be. He was playing well but Rashford and Lingard were both playing better. If Martial put in a performance on the level Sanchez did against City or Tottenham people would still be talking about it.

Yes, it was not his best form, but it was still better than most of Sanchez's performances since his arrival. Furthermore, the team as a whole was playing good, entertaining football (with minor exceptions, of course), something we haven't really seen since Mourinho threw Sanchez into the mix and destroyed the feeble balance he had managed to achieve.

The football stopped being entertaining in November absolutely nothing to do with the arrival of Sanchez and everything to do with the absence and form of Pogba.

The media have really managed to brainwash people over this Sanchez transfer.

The football stopped being entertaining in November absolutely nothing to do with the arrival of Sanchez and everything to do with the absence and form of Pogba.

The media have really managed to brainwash people over this Sanchez transfer.

Nothing to do with what the media writes. Just my own impression.

Sanchez played 18 games and scored 3 goals and apart from City & Spurs in the cup semi they were largely forgettable as he struggled to find his role in the team.

He didn’t have the impact we hoped when he came in we hoped he’d kick our season back into life after a dodgy December/January saw us drop right off the pace but it didn’t really happen.

Martial great start to the season but like everyone hit a bit of a wall through the winter months and I think he threw the towel in a bit when Sanchez arrived as he knew his days were numbered.

Club say they aren’t willing to sell him but guess his agent will still look to bring some attractive offers to the club to try and change their mind.

Sanchez wasn’t by any means great but he was nowhere near as bad as people made out. He was also motm against Huddersfield Swansea and West Ham. So he was motm in 5 of his 18 games.

you know Sanchez does do, is look interested and try.

Difficult mid season to join a side but you could see he was putting in 100%

And like I said, Martial's deal was on the table way before Sanchez arrived. Him not signing is nothing to do with Sanchez.

Pogba, Griezmann, Martial, this group of French players have a weird attitude

Sanchez wasn’t by any means great but he was nowhere near as bad as people made out. He was also motm against Huddersfield Swansea and West Ham. So he was motm in 5 of his 18 games.
He was bad. If you take his world class ability and what he can do, his performances for us were poor. He had his moments but not consistently and he drifted in and out of games.

Don’t get me wrong it’s hard to adjust sometimes to a new club especially when you move mid-season. He wasn’t awful and he does try so so hard with his work rate but we were missing his sprinklings of magic that we know he has in his locker. Hopefully he will come back next season refreshed and really show us what he can do.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back