Martial’s Future

Can’t see Jose selling to Chelsea. If Martial goes then it’ll be abroad IMO, not that I think he will go in the summer.

Chelsea would be a strange move assume the story is written on the basis that Hazard is moving on you would assume that when Conte leaves they'll be going back to a back 4 and probably either the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 system they used to play.

The prem club that looks obvious to me for him would be Arsenal as there is a spot for him on the left of their front 3 and they've got a bit of history of developing young talent but obviously the managerial change will play a part of that. Plus if they don't make CL next season then surely they can't afford him.

My guess is he ends up abroad someonewhere next season and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a loan to buy deal at somewhere like Juventus or we swap him for Sandro if we are still interested in him.

Some rumours today that a deal is in place for him to go to Juventus in the summer.

Would not bother me in the slightest to be honest, interesting to see if Sandro is included.

Something has to give on that left flank. We know it won't be alexis so it had to be one of the other two.

Would not bother me in the slightest to be honest, interesting to see if Sandro is included.
It would bother me in the respect of he’s a great talent and would be a shame to lose him. However, his whole demeanour doesn’t scream someone that is going to fight tooth and nail to get his place in the side. If I was in and out of the side, if I did get a start I would be showing the boss what he’s missing but Martial doesn’t do that. He has the odd good cameo but when he starts he does nothing basically.

I’m not sure whether he’ll go or not but I would prefer him to stay because I do think there is a top drawer player in there somewhere!

Yeah I'm not overly sure on him now as you say he has these cameo's where he looks phenomenal but they are few and far between, if I had to sacrifice his bit part cameos for a top class consistent performing RW I would take that all day now.

Rumours today about Dortmund and Pulisic involving a Martial swap deal.

To be a top player I think you need 3 things talent, attitude and coaching get the right mix of all 3 and you'll fulfill your potential.

You obviously need the talent without that you won't get anywhere, you need the attitude that allows you to get the best from that talent and a coach that is prepared to spend time nurturing that talent. I think currently Martial 100% has the talent, I'd say it's questionable if he has the attitude but for sure he doesn't have a coach willing to nurture that talent. Talented players with bad attitudes don't survive at the very top level for very long.

If he finds himself a new coach all those questions about his attitude might go away as a different coach might focus his attention on his football and motivate him in the ways Mourinho doesn't seem to be able to do. We don't know the full picture but you can see why Mourinho doesn't always play him because he doesn't know what he will get from one game to the next one day he's a match winner the next he's nothing.

I think it's reached it's natural conclusion he might go on to be a great player but the longer he stays here in this system the less likely that is to happen so he needs to make the decision and try his luck elsewhere.

not for the first time I disagree, how can it be Mourinho's fault.

He clearly has talent, he clearly has a bad attitude, Jose wants to keep him so thinks he can nurture it, Martial wants to leave... what can he do.

When Mourinho joined Chelsea the second time. Hazard was the same age then as Martial is now. You can't tell me Mourinho didn't improve Hazard as a player.

What about Lingard? Up there with Sterling for me as the most improved player this year.

Not sure if he is playing under Jose, I think he might be? McTominey hasn't had a bad season either.

These two though work their butts off for the team, Lingard has all the social stuff as well but when he has to work he will run through brick walls for you, Martial? He wouldn't run through water for you by the looks of things.

Tell you what I am looking forward to though, Jose leaving and all these players turning into absolute world beaters over night, no Jose, no more problems apparently.

Did we think he had a bad attitude under LVG in his first season? I don't remember there being any suggestions about that in his first year at the club. For me the Euro's changed him as a person he clearly had a tough summer and it didn't go the way he though, Utd then clearly annoyed him by taking his squad number off him and giving it to Zlatan and he got himself into some off field issues when he split with the mother of his daughter and it was all dragged through the papers. On top of that he a new manger to impress and it's pretty safe to say his early impression on that manager wasn't good.

Sometimes personalities clash but in football unlike individual sports you can't just sack your coach and move on you have no say on who your coach is and it's became pretty obvious early on that these two weren't always on the same wave length and even last summer Martial looked like he wanted out he apparently was keen to take a loan offer than came to his agent from Sevilla but the club rejected it.

Mourinho clearly can improve some players but it's not a one size fits all when it comes to coaching young players and developing their talents and in Mourinho's defence he didn't pick Martial as a player he felt he could develop into a superstar he was a player he inherited.

As for Hazard he got 1 fantastic season out of him but he was a disgrace the next season as that whole thing collapsed he was one of the players who clearly stopped playing.

Martial may go elsewhere and become the superstar everyone thought he would become or he might end up failing at another big club and just drifting through his career whatever happens once he's gone I imagine Mourinho couldn't care less what happens to him.

It's a risk you take, look at Beckham under Fergie, his attitude was becoming a problem, they clashed and their working relationship was destroyed, he was making excuses about his kid being sick so he could attend Victoria's fashion shows in London rather than go to training, he was sold for the good of the club and went to Madrid and was an absolute superstar, it happens everywhere, its not just Martial and Jose.

Look at Memphis, shocking at us, sold, absolutely tearing it up at Lyon and I would imagine will maybe get a mega move this summer. Maybe At Madrid or someone.

It's a risk you take with footballers, he may go on to be a world beater, he may not, but at the minute if we can get a decent price and replace him with a top class RW then so be it.

He had problems when his wife left him.

I'm not sure he has an attitude problem or whether he wants to run before he can walk. I think he is eager to get more minutes, but he is not at the correct level of consistency for Jose to do that. So it's up to him, stay and work hard for the long term goal. Or move on for the short term goal and hope that gets you to where you want to be. Two routes, same goal.

For sure Jose would want to keep him if he could. He has said so himself.

Sometimes you just know your gig is up at a club everyone accepts last season was a bit of a disaster for him he didn't show anything like the form from his first season and he had all his off field problems and his future at Utd was unclear whereas 12 months earlier he was the big superstar after that brilliant first season. The season started pretty well it looked like the old Martial was back and he wa 100% heading back in the right direction then the club sign Alexis and he's starting every game in your position.

At that point he probably subconsciously threw the towel in because he knows he's not shifting Lukaku or Sanchez from those positions so I think it's become pretty clear that he sees his future elsewhere.

He's got 12 months left on his current contract although the club can do him a 1 year extension at any time, if you believe the reports talks over a new deal began in late 2017 but since those initial discussions nothing has happened so he probably isn't feeling very loved right now.

It wasn't his wife that left him he split up with his childhood sweet heart while she was still pregnant and started dating some French reality TV star shortly afterwards. This created a bit of scandal back home in France and I think her dad was pretty relentless at slagging off Martial in the papers for dumping his daughter. Maybe he lost his head in the clouds of fame a bit and going from a Monaco reserve to a £50m starting player for Man Utd at 18 could easily do that to someone but it seems his bridges are burned with Mourinho all signs currently point to the exit door and that is probably best for everyone. Utd hopefully can get their money back and spend it on someone who the manager feels he can work better with and Martial finds a new club and gets a fresh start.

If Memphis was gonna go for ‘mega money. We’ll surely buy him back and sell him on like Barca did with Bojan and Real Madrid with Morata

He’s hit 19 goals in 48 games this season which is signs he’s getting back to the levels he was at with PSV before he came to Utd but it’s in a weaker league. Not heard any rumours about him moving on and I think his time at Utd would scare off the big boys.

Apparently we also have sell on clauses so if he did get a big money move we get a share of it, I’d say there’s next to no chance he comes back here.

26 starts in the league, 16 goals, 12 assists
8 starts in Europe, 3 goals, 3 assists

Has better stats this year than Mbappe and plays in a side who score half the amount of goals, I would be very surprised if he is still at Lyon but he may well be.

If he was a right sided midfielder I think we would be looking at bringing him back but fact he plays on the left just makes no sense, not sure were as crafty as the Spanish when it comes to buying them and selling them on, don't think we know how to haha

Rumours today about a swap, Martial for Pulisic, any takers?

Martial and Verratti I would do. PSG might interested in another young French player.

Memphis couldn't hack it at Utd he should never come back simple as that the only way I'd bring him back is if he started scoring a goal a game in the french league that's the sort of thing that would get my attention banging in 1 in 2 just isn't enough to make me consider bringing him back.

That lad wet himself the moment he tried to sprint past Kyle Walker on his debut and he realised that full backs in the premier league are just as quick as him.

If other clubs want to pay a stupid some of money for him then let them nothing that lad did here in 18 months makes me think he'd ever make it at Utd especially now we've got Sanchez in is position.

Pulisic is another guy I've heard lots about but never seen and he's obviously got a lot of weight behind him being the first potential world class American player so a lot of clubs are very interested in him. All the reports are positive but we don't play anything like Dortmund which is what did for Kagawa and Mkhitaryan when they came so do we think he can play the way we play?

Never said to bring him back mate calm yourself down, he started really well but just died off at us and how many wingers has Kyle Walker tamed in his career, it didn't work out fair enough, I can see him going to Spain maybe in the summer.

So on that, would you not take Mbappe if he was offered? he has nowhere near a goal a game but is one of the best talents in European football.

I’d 100% swap Martial for Mbappe as he actually plays on the right of a front 3 and every time I see him play he looks mint but it’s fair to say he maybe hasn’t fully lived up to the hype in PSG. I know he’s not a goal agame but he’s looked very good at CL level when he’s played.

It wasn’t just Walker who tamed Depay the way we played under LVG probably did that, I was surprised he didn’t get more of a chance under Mourinho last season but I think by that point he’d given up on life at Utd. We broke that kids spirit in 18 months ha.

Big time mate, he was getting slaughtered for not playing for 3 months, having one game, not setting the world alight and then in the stands for another two months lol I could see him at an At Madrid or something, he may well stay at Lyon depends how their summer goes, he def wouldn't come back to us lol

Think his issue was his attributes which were speed and strength were what made him pretty lethal in Holland plus PSV played a lot on the counter attack so he could use those attributes, he then comes to England where everyone is quicker and stronger so he can't bully them physically and also he's in a team playing slow build up possession football so he's got no space in behind.

He really struggled to adapt to that and it was obvious the move came to soon for him he wasn't ready and the whole thing just caved in on him. The thing that highlighted it was his set pieces in Holland he was banging in ridiculous free kicks on a regular basis at Utd his first few ended up in the stands then

I don't think he'd ever suit the premier league because he relies on that physical advantage and to many teams in the Premier League just want to sit deep and defend however if he sticks it out at Lyon for a bit longer and keeps progressing big clubs might give him a chance. Best thing for that lad is to stay at Lyon next season especially if they qualify for the CL.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Easy to jump to conclusions could be a family emergency for all we know but not a good sign.

He's gone to sign his new contract somewhere. You don't drive off on match day. Or it could be a hyper sulk. He knows his days are numbered, he's got nothing to lose by doing one

Guess we might find out post game if someone asks the manager.

If it’s an injury as was being reported why did he leave straight away unless he’s rushing to the training ground for immediate treatment.

Some others claiming his girlfriend who is pregnant might have gone into labour.

Mourinho confirms Martial was injured in training on Friday and didn’t train yesterday, had treatment this morning and decided to stay away today.

He’s doubtful for the cup final and isn’t expected to train until later in the week.

Yehhhhhh right. Let's reword that. He's played his last game for the club and he is no longer interested.

I do find it a bit odd that he drove to the ground and then drove away, if you injured yourself on Friday and it's that bad that your a doubt for next week, why would you drive to the stadium only to leave an hour or so later? You either go to the training complex or stay at home, makes no sense.

Get him involved in either the Sandro deal or Pulisic deal, lets sort out that right hand side and move on.

Could be that on a match day all the physios are at the ground rather than the training ground so could be that he went to the ground for treatment then left if he's got a few days off he might be off to France to see family as his girlfriend is pregnant. As soon as players get days off now they're regularly on flights all over the europe for a few days.

However, as it's last day of the season you'd think the sensible thing to do would be to show up for the post game lap of appreciation but then I don't think Lukaku was there yesterday.

If he's off and out of the cup final he might have wanted to clear out his locker and get out of town ha!

I read an article yesterday that this was typical of the attitude Jose has had enough with. I think maybe Martial has issues?

According to the post match interview with Jose on mutv he said that martial was never at the ground on match day. He was allegedly injured on Friday. Doesn't really stack up as it was the last game of the season where the players walk the pitch with kids at the end. Even injured he should have been there for the lap of honour.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back