League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2013/14

Pre season: LA Galaxy 2-5 Manchester United - 16th July 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pre Season: Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester United - 24th July 2017

If we are keeping Felliani (and I take swig from my hip flask as I write that) then someone needs to tell him his not allowed to use his feet in either penalty area. Use your head fine. But do not attempt to kick that ball! His more likely to give away a pen or miss like that last night then do anything positive. Shocking last night yet again.

I've seen a clip of his miss last night.

Why did he take it first time? He had so much time to control it (then take a 2nd touch to actually control it haha) then get a shot away.

Pre Season: Manchester United 2-1 Sampdoria - 2nd August 2017

He was impressive in the second half.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Leicester City - 26th August 2017

We've resorted to kicking the ball in off him. Haha

Still want him out take no joy in watching this lad play football but I know he isn't going anywhere.

Still don't get all the hate for Fellaini, he's not a main starter and rightly so because we have better players ahead of him but as an option off the bench? He is a player than can affect games, sometimes he does stupid things but I'm happy we have him as a squad option.

My issue with him is a just don't enjoy watching him play he's not a very good footballer, compare his ability on the ball to Pogba or Matic or Yaya all big guys but they could play Fellaini is just clumsy.

I accept that he can be useful and effective I just don't enjoy watching him play.

Can't knock his attitude it's spot on he does what he's told I just feel a club like Utd should aspire to better and it was a big mistake buying him.

Hopefully we only see him as a sub this season as he can be effective at coming on to close out games like the ones we've had but when we are ahead and on the ropes he's not a guy to send on as he gives away to many fouls.

Champions League: Manchester United 3-0 FC Basel - 12th September 2017

I tell you what...

I'm still not a huge fan of Fellaini and I never will be. But I can't dispute that he comes in and does a job for Jose and the team.

Every time he comes in since Jose has taken over he's been played in a role that gets the best out of him. And he's a really good important member of the squad to have especially in the CL. Yes OK he limits our style but that size will be a real asset in Europe because teams just can't deal with him.

I think the quality of the opposition has to be considered but last night he was excellant playing in a slightly deeper role than we normally use him his passing was quicker than usual and it seemed like he had more confidence in it to play slightly longer passes when needed and try to break through the lines plus having Matic meant he was free to get forward which got him his goal.

Against better sides he probably would be found out as in Europe players will just win fouls off him and press him better in possesion but last night he was excellant I'd say man of the match and I'm not a fan of his.

In terms of the midfield options it seems obvious that he's moved ahead of Herrera as the 3rd choice midfield option and it's on merit.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Crystal Palace - 30th September 2017

Fellaini has been quietly very good for us. He gets dogs abuse for an iffy performance but very little praise for good ones. He has become a very important player for us.

I still don't like him as a player but credit where it's due he's had a great start to the season.

I've been against him but got to hold my hands up and say he's playing outstandingly this season, i've never seen him play so well. Mourinho's turned him into a United player. People will point to the goals but overall his game has gone up a couple of notches I would say. Passing a lot better and I think that's a confidence thing, he's not afraid to try the risky pass now and he's out there doing Zidane pirouette's and backheels, defensive positioning has improved, he used to get caught out a lot defensively and perhaps that was more down to poor management/coaching.

What would everyone do now with him? Anfield away next. Let's say everyone comes back fit apart from the injured lads. Would you start Fellaini?

Biggest pro would be that he could cause havoc at corners and set pieces with his height and strength. Especially given how poor they are at defending in general.

But is he agile enough? Would he get find out chasing that front 4? Can he be disciplined enough to play in that atmosphere? Would Ander be a better bet alongside Matic? Or will Jose play all 3?

I assume we will be going defensive so he starts probably like Chelsea last season 4-4-1-1 maybe with Herrera playing on the right but more likely man marking Coutinho who tends to drift in from the left side.

Fellaini & Matic basically in the centre just providing a wall in front of the defence.

Unless he comes back injured I don't see how he doesn't start at Anfield

He could play miki on the right Matic and Herrera in the middle and Rashford on the left. Then play Felliani behind Lukaku.

I think it would be a waste to play Ander out there on the right. If he put Miki there he will track back like he did very well at Southampton last week. But also going forward, the full backs of Liverpool are terrible and any combination of Rashford/Miki/Martial could be were we could win the match from.

If Felliani played in that let's say number 10 role, he could bulk that midfield into a 5 when we lost it. But going forward could create a big problem alongside Lukaku for the soft centre backs of Liverpool. He could also rotate and fill in for when Miki goes on a run.

I'd like to see us put loads of crosses into the box and even play direct. That back 4 of Liverpool is their Achilles heel the more we ask of them the higher the chance of them messing up.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Manchester United - 31st January 2018

He was replaced due to an injury.

Don't really see the point in playing him anymore unless we get injuries he's clearly got a knee problem and is leaving in the summer

i'm not sure I buy into that he was injured if that was the case he would not have gone down the tunnel on his own and he was fuming, I think it was just for the media saying he was injured, when he got asked what the injury was it looked like he panicked when he said ligaments.

Best thing about that last night is hopefully he does one in the summer, thanks for the headers Fellani but enough is enough, shocking!

@Edgy1968 I'm with you. Fellaini didn't go down to the ground, the physio didn't come on, I didn't see Fellaini signal to come off and he look seriously pi**ed when JM saw him on the touch line and when he walked down the tunnel throwing his shirt.

But how could JM think he needed to come off tactically after 7 minutes?

Or is it a sign of a seriously annoyed player who has just come back from injury and got injured again?

Fellaini sustained an injury.

maybe it was genuine then, if thats the case, extremely odd the physio didnt come on, or speak to him when he went off, and the fact he stormed off down the tunnel and threw his shirt, normally he would sit on the bench and speak to the physio.

I think the frustration was probably him showing his dissapointment at limping off injured after 5 minutes, he's only just come back after a few months out and it seems like whatever rehab he's done just hasn't worked.

When you're injured you always go straight down the tunnel for all we know the physio was already in the changing rooms players only go to sit on the bench if they're subbed off for tactical reasons and it looked like Mourinho said something quite calmy to him as he came off rather than give him the cold shoulder.

Yeah prob mate, useless anyway, not bothered either way lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back